KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
10/16/19 8:04 a.m.

So last summer I had a bad idea and bought a $1000 RX-8.  It ran.....poorly.  I cleaned the SSV and replaced the plugs/wires/coils and it ran......poorly.   It's a 2004 that was drifted by the previous owner and is ROUGH.  2004, slick top, cloth seats, 6 speed, 110,000ish thousand miles.  It was an Ohio car so it's crusty underneath.  Power steering isn't working (don't know why) and AC compressor is locked up.  

I took it to a friend who is decently mechanical and he worked on it for several evenings.  Got it to run pretty well.....until it cut out and ran poorly again.  We both feel that the actual short block is good but something is cutting out and causing it to nearly die (fuel pump?)

If anyone wants a track rat project I'd like to pass it on.  If anyone wants any pieces off it I'm gonna tear it apart in a couple of weeks and sell what I can to recoup some funds.  I'd rather it go as a complete car but parting it holds a certain appeal as well.

tux424
tux424 New Reader
10/16/19 12:38 p.m.

Hmmm.... Any pictures?

$1000 is less than what it would cost for a NC rollbar to get on the track.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/16/19 1:28 p.m.

Do you think a 2.3 Ford Lima would fit in it, I need a test mule.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/16/19 1:40 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

If it fit in a Pinto, it'll fit in almost anything lol. Might need a hood scoop but who doesn't like hood scoops?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
10/16/19 3:27 p.m.

Apparently no pics in my phone.  Ugly and black.  Rear bumper skin is fiberglass and held on with zip ties (drifto special).  No big dents, lots of little dings and scratches.   18x8 factory wheels with half peeled plasti-dip.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/17/19 8:52 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Do you think a 2.3 Ford Lima would fit in it, I need a test mule.

The rotary comes apart and leaves you a back "iron" that bolts to the transmission. It also has the planetary gear mount (for centering the crankshaft) to make a great template for an adapter plate. Being a Mazda and that a Ford motor you may luck out and get some of the bolts to line up.

I considered something similar for my  RX-8, which runs fine, not perfect though. The Miata with the 1.5 liter swap (I forget the thread) sticks in my mind.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JOY5zsoeDytuufcLeiw9moC7FLHeNhyexIEnyfQKPjkYPfQkcB4SDUaxY48hvo9a