1 2
rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/2/21 2:04 p.m.

Hey All,

Because selling seems to be the thing, I have listed my E28 (1985 524TD) for sale on eBay.  It's an actual running, driving, LS-swapped E28.  I think most questions are covered between the ad and the non-build thread here on the site, but feel free to send them my way if you have them.  My expectations for a sale are minimal, as I'm quite experienced in losing money on hotrods.  There is a kind of thread here for the car:  "Nobody has this . . ."

Here's the link to the ad:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265145774676?hash=item3dbbeb7254:g:qR4AAOSw~YZgjt7L.

Enjoy.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 2:42 p.m.

Wow. I think you'll get quite a bit for that actually.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 6:06 p.m.

Does the AC work for us FL people?  I didn't think GA titled this age of vehicle.  Is the title GA or CA?  Willing to name a price or want the auction to run it's course?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I didn't get to the AC part.  I did however leave the original hard lines, wiring, and dryer intact.  I also have the LS compressor, belt, and bracketry, so connections could be made relatively simple with some custom hose and an evaporator.  The car is currently titled and garaged in GA.  Presently, I plan to let the auction run, however I do appreciate any interest.

Edit:  From what I've heard, the original AC in these cars was comically bad when new, so a potential buyer is not really missing out by not having this opition checked presently . . .

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/21 8:28 a.m.

Did you fabbed the swap yourself? 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yup, I did.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  This car also absorbed a cross-country move in the midst of the conversion, which makes it even more compelling, or not . . .

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I love the e28 looks. I would love an lsx swapped one. 

How'd you do the mounts? Do you have a build thread?

418NV
418NV New Reader
5/3/21 12:26 p.m.

So is the car street legal in GA with a salvage title?

I'm not sure how this works. I was under the impression that it is not until it is inspected which is generally a pain.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

Yes, it has been inspected, tagged, and pinkslipped in GA (I also have it fully covered through Allstate).  In GA, the title is called "rebuilt," but it has the same meaningless meaning as the old CA "salvage" title, which also required an inspection in CA after I bought it.  This car even has working reverse lights through a Lokar shifter.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Here is the link to the not-really-a build-thread:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/nobody-has-this-1985-bmw-524td-aka-fritz/173980/page1/.

The mounts consisted of mostly 1.25 x.134 tube, 3/16 plate, and 1/8 plate welded together after careful measurement, positioning, attaching to LS swap block plates, and the intent to use original mounting locations.  As a result, the steel tube trans crossmember bolts in exactly the same way as the original, in the same place, and the engine mounts use the original lower engine mounts (kind of like rubber pucks with studs).  There was also an LS2 oil pan involved.  The hard part is fitting in past the brake booster and steering box.  The exhaust routing took forever and an eternity.

418NV
418NV New Reader
5/3/21 12:54 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I sent you I email...I think.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

Gotcha.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/11/21 1:21 p.m.

Thought I'd update this:  The auction went fine for about five days (out of seven).  It went over my lame (low) reserve, and there were several active bidders.  On the last two days of the auction, only one person bid one time, winning the auction.  He then proceeded to ghost me after the auction ended--complete silence and failure to communicate.  Great job, dude!  Transaction cancelled for nobody's convenience.

In all fairness, the guy could have had an accident, been arrested, whatever; secondarily, it seems that with three out of four cars/motorcycles I've sold on eBay, I've had to re-list for whatever reason.  Not doing it this time.

This final experience attempting to sell a car on the big "E" has brought the medium to about Craigslist level.  Really, I should probably blame humanity.  Oh well.  I guess I'll keep it . . .

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Interesting.  I expected a low feedback bidder but the winner seems to have decent enough feedback and appears to have bid on various vehicles lately.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 1:43 p.m.

yeah that's really lame. However you are getting the better deal there. That car seems like it should be worth more than $5-6k.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/11/21 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah, go figure.  My patience level was pretty low at that price level--communication is everything in making a clean sale.  That said, I took the wife out for a beer in the car last night, and it was pretty cool.  Handling is happier without a heavy bike rack on the roof, but that will be going back on now . . .

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/21 2:51 p.m.

Yes, I am done with ebay for selling cars. Similar experience, you should be able to find a buyer, those 5 series are cool cars and everything is better with an LSX!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/13/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Still selling?  I'm interested. 

I was in Woodstock this morning. surprise

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/14/21 10:54 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Send me a PM.  You are welcome to check the car out for giggles or snorts.  It still has plenty of gas to make trips to Reformation Brewery up the street . . .

old_
old_ HalfDork
5/15/21 6:11 p.m.

I know nothing of the e28... How strong is the rear end? Would a T-56 swap fit?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/15/21 7:56 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

You have a PM

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/16/21 6:29 a.m.

In reply to old_ :

One should assume that violent drag racing starts should be avoided, however the 235-section width tires on this car would provide some slip that would allow the rear end to survive some fairly sloppy driving.  As yet, the differential and axles have proven plenty competent in normal driving--they have no issues. 

As for a T-56 fitting, that would be up to the person attempting to fit the unit; the 6l90 is rather large, and I made it fit with some widening of the tunnel (with welded reinforcement), so a T56 would probably fit just fine (with a new crossmember and/or mount); it has been done before, and the car(s) can be Googled.  You'd still of course have to cut a hole for a shifter and figure out a clutch setup . . .  None of this stuff is that simple.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/16/21 7:27 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Is your 4.8L modified in any way, or is it factory ratings?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/18/21 6:15 p.m.

So just to clarify, I will be re-listing/selling this car (hopefully to someone cool, not a flipper).  I just don't have the mental bandwidth to own more than one hotrod in suburbia (used to have much more space).  The link in my first post in this thread still allows one to access the previous ad, but I'll post the copy here, just in case:

For sale is my 1985 BMW 524TD.  Originally a turbo-diesel six, the original engine and transmission have been replaced with a 2014 GM 4.8 liter V8 (LSX/L20) and 6l90 automatic transmission (six-speed/dual overdrive).  Aside from this, the car is mostly original, down to the very good condition interior and power seats.

The car is in good running and driving condition.  All basic items work, including the wipers, heater, horn, and lights.  Tires and brakes are excellent.  Steering is power assisted, as are the brakes.  Some front suspension and braking items have been replaced, including control arms, sway bar end links, rotors, and brake pads.

As with most E28s, the original gauges do not work, due to a faulty design that required a battery (which leaks, then kills gauges).  Most gauges have been replaced with a ScanGauge II, which is run off the GM engine's OBDII port (located in the glove box, with the computer that controls the engine and transmission); this gauge can also diagnose and provide any engine or transmission trouble codes.  A digital oil pressure gauge and check engine light have been added next to the steering wheel.  I have not yet updated the fuel gauge situation, but do have parts to do so (presently, I stick a wood dowel in the fuel tank to check the level).

As far as the engine is concerned, it has been updated with an LS6 intake (Dorman, better than OEM), LS9 cam, LS9 head gaskets, LS2 timing chain guide, LS6 valve springs, basic PCM tuning to accommodate RPM and timing changes, and ARP head bolts.  Lower mounting points for engine and transmission actually use original locations for BMW equipment.  The in-tank fuel pump is an AEM 380; the filter and regulator are mounted in the engine compartment.  The engine and transmission had 80k miles upon purchase/installation.  A custom one-piece steel driveshaft connects the transmission to the original rear differential.  With professional tuning (better than I can do, in other words), this combo will make around 400 horsepower and get mid-20s MPG.  Idle is very smooth and subdued.  Engine speed is about 2300 RPMs at 80 MPH.

The current wheels are from a 2001 530i, but the original 14" bottle cap wheels are available, if desired.  Tires are excellent on both sets of wheels.

As for the vehicle's history, there isn't one.  I am not the first owner, as Autocheck indicates.  I bought the car from a recycler in 2019; the recycler bought the car at auction under his business name (perhaps via probate).  This is the reason for the salvage title, not a wreck or a flood.  Prior to the car being auctioned, it sat for 12 years, during which time it fell out of the CA DMV system, hence the lack of history.  I have been through every inch of the car, and there is no sign of damage beyond scratches to the original paint.  The car was generally well cared-for throughout its life.  

There is no rust--this is the best example of a CA car, which it was until I moved to Georgia in 2020; the car is currently registered for the road in Georgia.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have.  The reserve price is about the cost of the drivetrain only . . .

Blunder
Blunder New Reader
5/19/21 6:44 p.m.

Price? I'm interested in doing my first fly and drive. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OwO7xbR1yWi27TU3RuqdUwFTMjtmtD2ELhqFMUElcma3XDrdglNTRJikL2bduBRW