rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/2/21 2:04 p.m.

Hey All,

Because selling seems to be the thing, I have listed my E28 (1985 524TD) for sale on eBay.  It's an actual running, driving, LS-swapped E28.  I think most questions are covered between the ad and the non-build thread here on the site, but feel free to send them my way if you have them.  My expectations for a sale are minimal, as I'm quite experienced in losing money on hotrods.  There is a kind of thread here for the car:  "Nobody has this . . ."

Here's the link to the ad:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265145774676?hash=item3dbbeb7254:g:qR4AAOSw~YZgjt7L.

Enjoy.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 2:42 p.m.

Wow. I think you'll get quite a bit for that actually.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 6:06 p.m.

Does the AC work for us FL people?  I didn't think GA titled this age of vehicle.  Is the title GA or CA?  Willing to name a price or want the auction to run it's course?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I didn't get to the AC part.  I did however leave the original hard lines, wiring, and dryer intact.  I also have the LS compressor, belt, and bracketry, so connections could be made relatively simple with some custom hose and an evaporator.  The car is currently titled and garaged in GA.  Presently, I plan to let the auction run, however I do appreciate any interest.

Edit:  From what I've heard, the original AC in these cars was comically bad when new, so a potential buyer is not really missing out by not having this opition checked presently . . .

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/21 8:28 a.m.

Did you fabbed the swap yourself? 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yup, I did.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  This car also absorbed a cross-country move in the midst of the conversion, which makes it even more compelling, or not . . .

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I love the e28 looks. I would love an lsx swapped one. 

How'd you do the mounts? Do you have a build thread?

418NV
418NV New Reader
5/3/21 12:26 p.m.

So is the car street legal in GA with a salvage title?

I'm not sure how this works. I was under the impression that it is not until it is inspected which is generally a pain.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

Yes, it has been inspected, tagged, and pinkslipped in GA (I also have it fully covered through Allstate).  In GA, the title is called "rebuilt," but it has the same meaningless meaning as the old CA "salvage" title, which also required an inspection in CA after I bought it.  This car even has working reverse lights through a Lokar shifter.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Here is the link to the not-really-a build-thread:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/nobody-has-this-1985-bmw-524td-aka-fritz/173980/page1/.

The mounts consisted of mostly 1.25 x.134 tube, 3/16 plate, and 1/8 plate welded together after careful measurement, positioning, attaching to LS swap block plates, and the intent to use original mounting locations.  As a result, the steel tube trans crossmember bolts in exactly the same way as the original, in the same place, and the engine mounts use the original lower engine mounts (kind of like rubber pucks with studs).  There was also an LS2 oil pan involved.  The hard part is fitting in past the brake booster and steering box.  The exhaust routing took forever and an eternity.

418NV
418NV New Reader
5/3/21 12:54 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I sent you I email...I think.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/3/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

Gotcha.

Our Preferred Partners
laGFWjUNAf2cGixlzJK26njAorQVs7tAiH5M7CgUmeM6daeaB4baV18euqGNNHPF