NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/22 11:50 a.m.

There has been a lot of chatter lately about taking an old ASA car and making it into a track car. There are a few versions out there and I saw this auction so I thought I should share. These are big money cars and a lot of them are pretty complete. Check out auction lots 15-36. There are a ton of other cool things but those are the cars.

Iron Horse Auctions

EDIT: Added picture for dramatic effect

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 1:25 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

This is enabling at it's finest.

NY Nick
1/19/22 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Thanks, I like to do what I can since I can't do it myself.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/19/22 2:16 p.m.

But what about the tool boxes and generator and transmissions and shop equipment and and and, too far away.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/22 3:11 p.m.

I will not buy a nascar chassis.  
I will not buy a nascar chassis.

Loweguy5 (the Neon is gone!)
Loweguy5 (the Neon is gone!) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/22 8:48 p.m.

Spire isn't going out of business so the toolboxes may not be for sale.  These cars belonged to Starcom Racing which is now gone.  They sold their charter for like $12MM and wisely ran for the hills.

Still a ton of value for such low $$

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
1/21/22 9:23 a.m.

Man, that is the best link of all time!! 

Awesomeness from start to finish 

NY Nick
1/21/22 10:59 a.m.

still 4 days left and only one of the cars is over $2,400. Also all of the motors are still under $4k. I am sure they will all go up a bunch but it is fun dreaming for now.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
1/23/22 11:41 a.m.

Again, probably the most awesome link ever posted here... 

i have to ask the wife how she feels about Nascar...

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/22 12:17 p.m.

If you really go down the rabbit hole and view all 15 pages there is some shelves, tools, boxes of assorted filters, and boxes of assorted electrical parts, and a few lithium ion batteries.

NY Nick
1/23/22 12:22 p.m.

I know that team sold its charter earlier this year for something like $12M. I am just blown away at how much really nice stuff is there. 
back in 2001 I interviewed at DEI and even then the place was like a palace. They were assembling engines in clean rooms and there were probably a dozen complete from intake to headers waiting to roll into the dyno room. I would really love to go see the Mercedes' F1 factory. I'd rather do that then go to a race. 

da_johnny_boy
da_johnny_boy
1/25/22 1:00 a.m.

Where do you buy parts for cars like this? Do these use the same parts as ASA cars? Or do you have to find used NASCAR parts?

NY Nick
1/25/22 6:54 a.m.

In reply to da_johnny_boy :

There are a few places around Charlotte and Online that sell parts. There is a place down in Georgia (I think) that sells cars and parts on. Facebook. One place is Here

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/22 7:45 a.m.

Wow... a little more than a day left and some of those chassis have bids in the low hundreds.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
1/25/22 9:39 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow... a little more than a day left and some of those chassis have bids in the low hundreds.

True... Cheaper than a roll cage... 

JAdams
JAdams Reader
1/25/22 9:51 a.m.

I didn't see this..

I didn't see this..

I didn't see this..

NY Nick
1/26/22 8:00 p.m.

Some of them sold for challenge pricing. Of course those were pretty stripped so I doubt anyone could put the rest together for that price. But nice equipment went fair. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJloraMAy3NiUJ9VtKk8FzjcbUdKrQ11H8yZLwqBuYsFcXPF5RBCY5gza4m3wuI0