KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/18/20 4:28 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/586097098609824/

Turbo

Convertible

Hard top.

Leather

CHEAP

Seems like stuff some of you weirdos likes.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/18/20 4:39 p.m.

Technically "Chrysler TC by Maserati"

The raw engineering brain trust of a third rate American automotive firm, the assembly prowess that can only be brought to you by 1980's Italy

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 5:05 p.m.

At $600, it'd have to be about $602 cheaper for me to want to bring it home.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/18/20 5:12 p.m.

That's not a K Car with a port hole?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/18/20 5:44 p.m.

While everyone else sees an easy opportunity for worn out snark, I see an intercooled Turbo-II in a package with enough unobtainium parts to zero out the cost of the drivetrain...

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/20 5:55 p.m.
Cooter said:

While everyone else sees an easy opportunity for worn out snark, I see an intercooled Turbo-II in a package with enough unobtainium parts to zero out the cost of the drivetrain...

Turbo I, no intercooler.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 6:00 p.m.
psteav said:
Cooter said:

Turbo I, no intercooler.

Try again.  The TC only had the intercooled 2.2L (in either DOHC and SOHC forms) and was the only K-based car that came with one and an automatic (it was detuned to help the auto survive compared to the 5-speed versions in other k-cars).  So if its an auto Masi TC, it is either a 3.0 SOHC V6 or a 2.2L T2.  5-speeds were almost always the Maserati DOHC 2.2L Turbo.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/18/20 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Exactly.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/18/20 6:15 p.m.

How many of those removable hard tops could still be in existence at this point?  It's a small pool of need/want for it I'm sure but there HAS to be some dude somewhere who wants it.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/18/20 6:45 p.m.

The hard tops outnumber people looking for them.  You're lucky if you can get $100 out of one.   Undamaged porthole windows are in pretty high demand, however.  

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/18/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Love that plaque! very cool.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/20 7:15 p.m.

More, if it was closer. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
2/18/20 7:17 p.m.

If you ever see one and the owner is around, they will tell you all about it. The guys that have them, love everything about them, including the beige color that most of them are...

Professor_Brap
2/18/20 7:24 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

If you ever see one and the owner is around, they will tell you all about it. The guys that have them, love everything about them, including the beige color that most of them are...

Can vouch for this. 

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Huh. TIL.  My apologies Cooter, that's very clearly intercooled.  I always thought the 8V turbo TC was a 2.5 T1.    So this is a detuned 2.2 TII?

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
2/20/20 1:25 p.m.

The funny thing is that the engineers behind that thing made it as gaudy and ridiculous as possible in an effort to kill the car(they didn't care to be the ones trying to tack the Maserati name onto a LeBaron)...management went ahead with it anyway....its unfortunate it doesn't have the TIII engine like some of them though.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 2:26 p.m.
Wicked93gs said:

The funny thing is that the engineers behind that thing made it as gaudy and ridiculous as possible in an effort to kill the car(they didn't care to be the ones trying to tack the Maserati name onto a LeBaron)...management went ahead with it anyway....its unfortunate it doesn't have the TIII engine like some of them though.

They never received the TIII, it was a Maserati designed cylinder head and had nothing to do with the Lotus designed TIII head.  It was actually a better head design than the Lotus unit and combined with the Getrag transaxle (which the internals were originally spec'd for a mid-engined Corvette product that never happened), it has the most power output potential of all of the 2.2 engines.

Also most of the design and body work was done by Maserati, which is why it was so badly delayed that it coincided with the Lebaron's intro, instead of a year or two before it which hurt sales as the Lebaron was essentially the same car for less (though it didn't have the T2/Auto and the Maserati DOHC engine).

BTW, the Maserati head was actually cast by Cosworth, which is a little ironic considering the Lotus head wasn't.

https://www.allpar.com/model/tc.html

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
2/25/20 3:33 p.m.

I did some work on a 16v Masi TC in a museum once. I left thinking the main thing I liked from that model apart from the other TCs was the wood shift knob.  Not to say i don't want a TC, i do!! But I'd prefer a 3.0v6 at this point. I already have the 5spd manual trans and turbo manifolds sitting around for it. I've got plenty of other cars for 2.2L's to go into that weigh less... including my MINIVAN! 

Professor_Brap
2/25/20 7:39 p.m.
Vigo said:

I did some work on a 16v Masi TC in a museum once. I left thinking the main thing I liked from that model apart from the other TCs was the wood shift knob.  Not to say i don't want a TC, i do!! But I'd prefer a 3.0v6 at this point. I already have the 5spd manual trans and turbo manifolds sitting around for it. I've got plenty of other cars for 2.2L's to go into that weigh less... including my MINIVAN! 

Did it have the wood center caps?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5odxXM9hdBKi6HVBdwCJzlcP5mTx0TYr8KOudP9QyVmTraGoCmc3tL974q4ohqEB