Sonic SuperDork
8/24/13 9:09 p.m.

More details please...
1275, 998, 850? Color? Rust situation?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/13 9:13 p.m.

Wish I had the money.

How did you determine there was a hole in the piston? What is the compression on all other cylinders?

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
8/25/13 12:10 p.m.

Id give u my neon. But ur too damn far.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
8/25/13 12:52 p.m.

Wow. Awesome. When you say it has some bondo....how bad? I know all Minis have rust, just wondering if it's "driveable, but eventually terminal", or "surface, but nothing major", or somewhere in between .

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/26/13 10:33 a.m.

Umm... want an E30?

Not that I really need another LBC, but I have this pipe dream of a rally-x Mini...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
8/26/13 11:05 a.m.

Am I the only one for whom the deal breaker was Left Hand Drive?
GLWS!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/13 11:07 a.m.

Is it actually a 1987 or is a "1987"? How bad is the rust?

Powar
Powar Dork
8/26/13 11:36 a.m.

Want a '78 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/26/13 1:40 p.m.

As a weekend and occasional fun car, I agree RHD is a must for a Mini. But for a car I might want to drive a lot and or in a situation where RHD could be an annoyance (my region's auto-x starter and scanner are always on the left side), LHD wouldn't be a deal breaker.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/26/13 2:12 p.m.

LHD is the deal maker for me. This is one more good deal I don't have room for.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/26/13 5:28 p.m.

Any idea why the piston melted?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/26/13 7:20 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Any idea why the piston melted?

Because the A-series is a POS engine?

Never mind me... I'm just grumpy because the Mini has decided to start running like crap again... ran fine a couple weeks ago... but when I pulled it out of the garage this afternoon to take pictures, it sounds/feels like it's running on 2.5 cylinders again... effing POS... I think as soon as I get back from W-G this thing is gone. I don't have the time or energy for this crap anymore. Or I need to get rid of the dual SU's and put a single carb on it.

One old British car is enough for me. The GT6 has been considerably more reliable and trouble free.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
8/26/13 9:08 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I'm gonna say its a mini you can fix, and enjoy for 10 years, might want to do a re spray at some point. Is it one to do a complete restoration on? No. If it was the only one I had, I'd keep it and fix it. With 5 other toy cars and another on the way, I'm in clean up mode.

Very tempting, I have wanted an original mini for a long time, and this would make an interesting first foray.

In a perfect world, it would be a running, RHD, Cooper S. But then it would be $10,000 or so. Not sure this is the right one for me, but I'd love to come take a look in person next time I'm up that way (middle of September or so). If it sells before then, congrats!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/27/13 6:02 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Ian, put on a single SU, that will fix most of your issues.

That's my line of thought right now... although how/where I can find a single carb set-up and get it installed on the car before I leave for WG next Weds is the tricky part.

Pulled the plugs this morning. #1: clean. #2: soaking wet. #3: black, but dry. #4: clean.

Very frustrating. Right now I'm wondering if the needles are for a 1275 and are too rich for the 970 engine, although that doesn't explain why each cylinder is so different.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/27/13 6:54 a.m.

Yeah, price seems fair to me, if I weren't in fleet reduction mode I'd be on my way there already :)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/27/13 7:35 a.m.

I'm a bit interested. How does one get a LHD 87 model into the US?

Do you have a title?

It has a single carb manifold on it?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/27/13 9:12 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to Ian F: How far are you from Baltimore? The single carb on the one for sale was rebuilt a month ago. Non running car with an unbalanced dual setup will do the same as a non running car with this nice rebuilt one. It's yours if you want it.

I'm about 2 hrs from you (straight shot up I-95 a bit north of Philly).

But if the single carb is set up for a 1275 I'm not sure that will help me much.

The Mini guy I talked to said the quick way to tell between a 1275 and the smaller engines is the distance between the valve cover and the heater line fitting on the right side (left when facing the car) of the head. On the small engines, the fitting is practically against the valve cover. On the larger engines there's a 1/2" or so of space.

I'm going to try blowing the plugs clean and seeing if that helps and then check to see what needles are in it and if I can get leaner ones quickly.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/13 9:32 a.m.

Why did I let my wife convince me to blow our surplus car money on a 71 Westfalia this weekend and then you post this..

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/27/13 10:53 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to Ian F: I forgot you had the smaller motor. Figures. I'm heading up Thursday, you? Are you doing the featured run? I have 2 slots, and one mini.....

I'm planning to head up Weds so I can do a winery run on Thursday. One I want to go to is way up at the top of Seneca Lake. I'm staying at the Motel 6 in Horseheads. I was part of a group of Mini/MINI people that stay at a house on 14 on the edge of town - you may remember the BRG Mini and green Volvo 1800ES parked out front in years past (you guys stay in a motel next to Pompous Ass winery, right?). The now ex-g/f is staying with them this year, so I'm not...

Our friends who get the house are close with the event organizers and we registered for the Tour de Marque last year before we left (I think there was one registration ahead of us). There will be 4 or 5 Minis/MINIs at that house this year (+1 if I was there as originally planned).

I registered for the event before I even bought the car.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/27/13 2:01 p.m.

I'll probably be spending a good portion of Thursday on the east side hitting various places. Not really sure what I'll be doing with myself otherwise. While I've been going to the vintage festival since... 2008? ...this is the first time I may be on my own.

Red with black roof.

mw
mw Dork
8/27/13 9:04 p.m.

Thank you

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/28/13 7:00 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: We are meeting at two goats brew pub at 7ish. If ya see a few Datsuns and a mini, stop in. Our house is a block down from there

Congrats on the sale!

I fiddled with the Mini before leaving for work this morning. I was sick as a dog last night and couldn't get anything done (still not quite 100%).

I pulled the right side piston in hopes of easily finding the needle code (didn't) and something is up with the jets and/or the choke. The top of jet looks to be 1/8" below the base. That can't be right... Should have time to play with it more when I get home.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
8/28/13 9:03 a.m.

Congrats on the sale! Now you have space for new projects!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QG5K5CU9BtudyyqkoIkHRgJtq4akosDeq9ORkJioAZYTMZwLuZDpK7EuXmBZ4jWQ