1 2 3
Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/14/22 9:01 a.m.

I hate admitting defeat, but I think it's time.  I really wanted to prove that I have the skill/patience/perseverance to be one of the few to actually finish a Europa, but with a backlog of projects around the house that need doing, 2 little kids, some health issues I'm dealing with, and a Locost in the other garage bay.. this project will drag on for a couple more years before either success or the same outcome.. So let's see if anyone in the community is interested.  Delivery is an potentially an option along the CT to Charlotte route in June. 

*Edit: it looks like my trailer will need quite a bit of work before I tow down that far, so I'd give preference to a more local exchange

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-igor-europa-content/133482/page1/

What is it:

'71 Europa, lovingly named Igor, currently home to an '05 Passat 1.8T. 

Engine: '05 1.8t.  Timing belt and waterpump replaced.  Reground 7lb flywheel, new S4 clutch.  Audi TT 225 intake manifold, AEB throttlebody (cable driven).  Ebay Scirocco radiator.  Swap meet intercooler included.  I'll include a custom axle based on 323 and Miata parts if I remember right.  You'll need to source a '94ish Miata axle for the other side.  034 Motorsports (I think?) fuel rail.  Funky Neon/Boxster shifter that feels incredible.

Rear suspension: Custom rear suspension, inboard rear shocks.  Miata rear uprights.  Will need to buy 1x Miata hub & wheel bearing.  Calipers included.

Front suspension is rebuilt - new bushings, rebuilt steering rack, cleaned painted.  Stock Europa calipers included.

Chassis is complete, painted, brake lines run.  Custom 3 master cylinder setup and pedals to match

Drivetrain mounts done, shifter built, exhaust 75% complete - needs mounts and oxygen sensor bung

Body - will need firewall rebuilt.  I have a replacement roof to patch the sunroof hole.

Wiring - hasn't been started.  Honestly, if you're interested in the challenge, I'd pick up a Passat/A4 donor car and just bring over all the electronics.

Wheels - I'll include some old school steelies that kinda/sorta fit.  I'm pretty sure they're 4x4" whereas the car is currently 4x100.

Price: I'm conflicted.... I'd love to see it finished for the challenge and these things are always financial hits (at least for me). So, 1K?  That should leave enough room to finish it of you're frugal, and there should be some recoup available with the surplus parts.  If I'm lowballing myself, pay me more :) 

I'll include all the spare Europa stuff, and anything I bought for it that may not have a home on my Locost.  I'm planning on keeping the megasquirt, wiring, Wilwood calipers & master cylinders since that was all pretty pricey and will fit my Locost.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/14/22 9:14 a.m.

Quick comment:

My wife is more bummed than I expected, but she's supportive of the decision.  Seeing the car live on will be great.

Health issues... I apparently got Lyme disease last year.   The brain fog was intense, of which I assumed it was just my way of dealing with stress & pressure, then joint pain that eventually kept me from walking before I got diagnosed.  Now I've got a sweet PICC line with a month of antibiotics that will hopefully get me to the point where I can actually outrun my 3 year old.   I miss chasing my kids and riding my bike.  If nothing else, it's time to simplify.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/22 9:51 a.m.

No sad

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/14/22 9:53 a.m.

Get well soon and good luck with the sale!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 10:34 a.m.

I can so relate to what it feels like to admit Europa defeat. 

I hope you feel better quickly

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 10:35 a.m.

Where is this car?

I may not be able to resist. It would be a riot to race against my own car when Travis finishes!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 10:38 a.m.

Wait... I just saw location. 

Delivery possible to Charlotte NC?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 10:41 a.m.

What's the history on the motor?  I see wiring... what else will it take for the motor to run/ move on its own power?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

You've got mail. 

I'm so weak.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/22 11:10 a.m.

^Oficially bummed out about this.sad

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/14/22 11:15 a.m.

Oh Lord.   I'm glad to see SVreX is in line.  Hopefully he buys it so I don't have to.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 11:27 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

^Oficially bummed out about this.sad

Bummed that I'm interested?

Yeah, I don't have a great track record... wink

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/22 11:30 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to Brotus7 :

You've got mail. 

I'm so weak.

DO IT!!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/22 11:31 a.m.

Ps, the pic with the mountain bike for height scale is awesome.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/14/22 11:51 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Ps, the pic with the mountain bike for height scale is awesome.

It's hard for folks to understand the scale, but that one really sells it.

Paul - just responded :)

Thanks for the well wishes guys, I appreciate it and I'm really bummed but this is the right move for me, right now.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/14/22 12:29 p.m.

Is it coming to my house temporarily? Im ok with that of so. We can use it as a midpoint for yall.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/22 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Ha!

I think you are just looking for free beer! laugh

maschinenbau
3/14/22 12:55 p.m.

Dibs on buying this from Paul in 10 years

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/14/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Don't drink. I just want to remind myself why i still don't need a Europa 

maschinenbau
3/14/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Sometimes having a Europa is why I drink

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/22 2:35 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

You don't get Two.  

maschinenbau
3/14/22 3:04 p.m.

I barely have one

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/14/22 3:27 p.m.

I have most of two Elites and I still get in line when another Elite shaped pile comes available 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/22 11:22 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Not if I buy it in 5!

But it'll be cheaper & in worse condition by the time I'm done with it, so don't worry. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/15/22 9:37 a.m.
nocones said:
maschinenbau said:

You don't get Two.  

Who knows?  He might actually get 2 that BOTH came from me!! Haha!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tvKHi7YjU3GfuqVKuqU2yWHqhttHdVZdqPB26EFB4IO1ct3M62k1w8ahAKUlL5um