1 2
FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
9/27/19 11:58 a.m.

*** Dropping the price to $8995 ***  Not sure how to edit the title of the thread?

Long time GRM reader, not much of a poster on the forums. I have 4 project cars and I reluctantly need to let this one go. I have owned it for 16 years and kept up with the maintenance. I did the simple stuff and let the Vette Doctor in Melbourne, FL and local dealer handle the rest.

One of 1227 FRCs made, rarest and lightest of the C5s.  FRCs were built with the Z51 handling package, extra chassis braces, and no glass top which saves 80 pounds. Five more years and it will be considered a classic car.

A great daily driver/autocross/track day car. 110,250ish miles, I drive it once a week so the mileage is approximate.

Never raced, tracked, or wrecked. I bought it from a Corvette collector who wanted to swap it for a C6.

The good: Good mechanical condition, new brakes, new starter, new headliner, new sun visors, new motor mounts, cold AC. Interior in good shape, replaced many original interior pieces with new GM parts. Recovered the arm rest with leather (original vinyl always cracks). These cars always leak around the roof. When I replaced the headliner I scraped out all the crumbling foam and silicone from the factory and resealed it. 

The bad: A small hole in the driver's seat leather (seat frame contacts the cover there and many have this hole). CD changer removed (comes with the car). Wheels need to be repainted or replaced and it needs new tires. This is such a personal choice I am leaving it to the buyer and discounted the price to match. I have a nice used set of center caps for the wheels. Power steering pump has a slow leak, not enough to drip on the floor.

The ugly: Clear coat is peeling off in a few spots on the rear (see pictures). A few scratches here and there. If you are a Q-tip warrior (concours weenie) then this may not be the car for you unless you plan on a respray. Roof was resprayed a few years ago and blends perfectly.

The car looks good from 20 feet but up close the peeling clear coat in the back is very noticeable.

Text me at three two one  - four 7 four - 5 four five 9 if you are interested. 

Thanks...John

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
9/27/19 12:12 p.m.

Great deal. The sub-10k C5s near me usually have aftermarket chrome wheels, automatics, and salvage titles.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/19 12:17 p.m.

I always loved the FRC C5. Good luck with the sale. 

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
9/27/19 8:07 p.m.

Thanks guys, this is a clean title, six speed manual car.  I don't think it will last long at this price. :-)

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/19 8:26 p.m.

This is a steal. Good luck with the sale!

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/4/19 8:04 p.m.

Are people put off by the paint issues?  This seems like a good deal to me. 

Someone with a spray gun could get a lot of performance car for not much.  Or just daily drive it and enjoy it.

I don't want to have to list it where normal non-car people shop. :-)

John

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/4/19 8:15 p.m.

Nice car

BTD
BTD Reader
10/4/19 11:42 p.m.

PM Sent

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/5/19 7:37 a.m.

I live in Melbourne in case anyone wants a set of eyes on the car :) 

Eight (1) Three - Four 8 }Zero{ - 2773

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/5/19 10:03 a.m.

Hey NordicSaab!

Thanks for offering to help out.  You will be welcome to look at the car.

John

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/19 4:54 p.m.

This makes my commitment to reduce the number of wheels on the ground at my house so much harder to stick with...maybe if my M3 sells in time

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/9/19 7:36 p.m.

Is there a way to edit the title of a thread?

I'd like to put the updated price in there if possible.

Thanks....John

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
10/9/19 10:32 p.m.

C5s are durable performers and with proper care go a long, long way. It would be really hard to go wrong with this car.  If it had a tow package I might buy it.  wink  GLWS.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
10/10/19 5:41 a.m.

Man, this is exactly what I would love to get in a C5. FRC, and problems that really don't bother me. Not in a position to buy a fun car, but man this would be a fantastic choice and you've got a great price on it.

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/10/19 6:30 a.m.

I can work with someone to get the new tires they want on it.  Drive it home, don't tow it.  I would feel comfortable driving on the current tires for a few hundred miles but would not go cross country. 

:-)

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/19 2:07 p.m.

You interested in a partial trade for a 94 Miata plus cash?  Meet halfway?  I'm silly enough to do that.  The wife knows I'm car silly too.

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/10/19 5:25 p.m.

Half of me wants to say yes, but my whole strategy for selling it is to cut down on the number of cars I have from 6 to 5....too many projects and too much regular maintenance with a fleet this large, plus a boat. :-)

John

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
10/10/19 5:36 p.m.

The want is bad, the wife even gave an OK. I'm just not sure it's the right time. 

Yeesh this place is bad for the budget.

AnthonyGS
10/11/19 12:18 a.m.

In reply to FourBlades :

I'm trying to go from 5 to 4...  5 to 5 maybe but 5 to 6 is a no go.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/12/19 1:36 p.m.

Watching the SCCA runoff's thinking those Corvettes are the way to go.  Then your car came up in my mind.

budget not there.....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 6:28 p.m.

Hummmm. Just added two cars to the fleet in the last month. But I also have been looking for a FRC for a long time.   

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/12/19 7:45 p.m.

Just wait another 5 years when the C5 is 25 years old and is legal for many vintage racing series.

The FHC will be the go-to model to build vintage Corvette race cars.

I have been holding on to this one for a long time waiting to get to classic status, but just have to let it go now.

Going to Flea-Bay it soon.  :-(

John

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/17/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to FourBlades :

If you go flea bay please post the link here. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/19 9:26 a.m.

I always wanted one of these but can't swing it right now. 

AnthonyGS
10/18/19 2:41 p.m.

How about a Christmas fly and drive?  I have way more funds and time off around the holidays.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lpueDN6kEC9wbYMhGcKFnWjU5hygLO2TRvJWrwl1gb74BQOqPQG0V3XuJitA4ffM