1 2
Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/21/21 5:00 p.m.

I recently grabbed this from a friend and fellow GRMer as part of a package deal, but I don't need it and its too good to stick in the back 40 with the other parts cars. I drove this car over an hour home in rush hour traffic when I purchased it. I've since replaced and repaired a few little things, and its time to find a new home for it.

What it is:
A running and driving beater
3 door hatchback
with 125k miles
on a 2.1 N/A 4 cylinder
with a 5 speed manual transmission.

What's good:
- What I said above.
- Low miles for one of these Swedish tanks.
- It has a nice aftermarket bluetooth stereo in it and a working power antenna.
- Crappy enough to drive in bad weather (which they're great at) and not feel badly about it.
- Tires, brakes, suspension all feel fine. 
- Decent leather interior and a perfect headliner
- Tinted windows
- Decent Kumho tires on factory alloys
- Working power windows, sunroof, and central locking

What's bad:
- Rust. It has a rusty front passenger fender and some rot starting in the passenger side control arm mount. It is NOT rotted to the point of being dangerous. It will be after another couple of winters. There are companies that make patch panels for this area, or one of you could booger it back together if you cared, but I personally would just drive it and keep an eye on it.
- No A/C.
- The hood is black (from my old '88 SPG, actually) and bent. The car was tapped in the front at some point in the past. The hood closes and latches and the lights all work. It is just... ugly.
- The hatch lock cylinder is missing. Completely gone. I have no clue why.
- The second gear synchro is smoked. Double clutching gets the job done every time. I've owned 26 classic 900s and never felt a synchro quite this dead. The other gears feel fine. I don't understand it, but there it is.
- Exhaust leak at the front catalytic converter flange because of some missing hardware and probably a bad gasket. The factory cat is there. Buy the car, scrap the cat for too much money, and have a half-price beater. Or don't.
- The emblems are missing from the hatch and the shmegma is still there.
- The passenger seat folding mechanism is stuck. I didn't mess with it long, but I couldn't get it to fold forward. The driver's seat flips fine, so there's still rear seat access.

I have a few of these cars both on and off the road and have quite a few sets of wheels, replacement parts (including a matching front fender for this car), and other garbage that we can talk about if you're seriously interested in the car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/21/21 5:51 p.m.

Those are funny looking pics

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/21/21 6:26 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Those are funny looking pics

I'm not sure what you mean. I've checked on two devices and all I see is a somewhat crappy but useable 900. Anyone else have issues?

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/21/21 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

Can't see the pics here. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 6:41 p.m.

Can't see the pics either. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/21/21 7:13 p.m.

+1

I can't see the pictures either.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/21/21 7:17 p.m.

I see normal pics. For reference, I am on my phone. Are they stretching funny on a bigger screen?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 7:19 p.m.

I'm seeing normal pics also.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
9/21/21 7:45 p.m.

I am getting the no pics available sign. Desk top and chrome browser. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/21 8:31 p.m.

^ what he said.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/21 9:08 p.m.

safari. No pics

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
9/21/21 9:26 p.m.

Huh. I saw the pictures earlier when I was at work. Now they're busted.

Google Photos not playing nice, I assume.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/22/21 4:55 a.m.

No pics on iPhone 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/22/21 6:15 a.m.

Looking at pics on my Android phone, using Chrome. Sitting at my computer that has no pics, using Firefox.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/22/21 8:25 a.m.

I reposted the photos. When I originally posted the thread, I copied the images and pasted them into the post window. This time I used the upload feature instead. Let me know if any of you are interested in the car.

I also spoke to a previous owner this morning. He said that he ground down that area in the front suspension and POR-15'd it about 6 years ago and it doesn't appear to have progressed.  YMMV, but I wouldn't sweat it for now.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/22/21 12:54 p.m.

If this was closer I'd be sorely tempted, as it's considerably less rusty than mine (except for the front suspension mount, but only because mine was repaired). I could drop my engine (with rebuilt head and new timing chain) and excellent transmission into it and be good to go. I've seen a few people here mention a desire for one of these, so hopefully it will stay in the GRM family. GLWS.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/22/21 6:48 p.m.
02Pilot said:
I've seen a few people here mention a desire for one of these, so hopefully it will stay in the GRM family. GLWS.

Thanks pal! That's my hope as well.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/24/21 10:04 a.m.

Someone needs a winter beater. I figure any daily drivable car with heat should be worth a grand.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/4/21 2:58 p.m.

This is still here. Someone lowball me before I have to list it somewhere else.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
10/7/21 9:13 a.m.

The temptation is killing me. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
10/7/21 12:48 p.m.

Define "lowball".... laugh

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/13/21 9:20 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Define "lowball".... laugh

A 900 for $900.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/21 9:51 a.m.

I really want this more than I should.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/13/21 9:53 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

I really want this more than I should.

I'll be in West Chester on Saturday. I don't see a reason that I couldn't help with delivery...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vfK88cXTtnDh3aqF73KFAQyPUMRx5wjb2zclHVjvoDsbqHyzSMy9CUZcps9Gr4GP