1 2
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/20/21 10:06 a.m.

Cheryl's 1998 Dodge Stratus sold last week, now to sell this baby blue time capsule...

The car belongs to a family friend of ours who worked with my mom at a local elementary school. She was a school teacher for her entire career and is now mid-70s and retired. She and her husband bought this Mustang brand new from Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax, VA - a dealership that is still in business. Her husband recently passed away suddenly, and she brought me in to help sell their three cars. This is the most interesting one and final one to sell.

Cheryl drove the Mustang daily for a bit and then it got retired to weekend/toy status as they had kids. It has 35k miles on the odometer and she swears it’s original and the 5-digit odo has not rolled over. Based on the general condition of the car cosmetically, I believe it.

The most recent service record I found was from 2016, where a local shop replaced the fuel pump and ignition module. Cheryl said they drove the car in to the garage and then it sat ever since. A friend and I did get the car running last weekend, all it took was fresh gas and some starting fluid down the carb. It idles and will move in Reverse and Drive. It is leaking fuel from the bottom of the carb so I am hesitant to drive it very much right now.

Cosmetically, everything is in good shape. The front bumper “lip” was torn off at some point and is in the trunk. It has been patched together with some tape but I have no idea if it could be properly fixed or not. There are some ripples/dents down the driver’s side, which I tried to get photos of. Probably could be removed with PDR. And the glovebox door is removed but in the trunk. The paint has evidence of sap (or something) all over and it could use a good polish. But, overall in good shape, the interior is nice, and would clean up well with a bit of time and effort.

Mechanically, this is an “MPG” trim which came with the 2.3L four cylinder and automatic transmission. I have the original sales receipt from Ted Britt, and the only options were air conditioning and a Ford AM radio. The radio has since been replaced with an Alpine cassette deck.

I’m not the biggest expert on the value of these cars, but I think I’m going to set the price at $2,000 and see who bites. Some folks with more intimate knowledge of the Mustang II have agreed that sounds fair given condition and how it’s equipped.

The car is located in Reston, VA.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/20/21 10:27 a.m.

Oh man. Wish I could buy it and bring it directly to the GRM Challenge as-is.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/20/21 11:05 a.m.

Well dayum!!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/21 11:15 a.m.

The fuel leaking is likely a stuck needle valve.  You may be able to lightly tap the carb with a small ball-peen hammer and get it to loosen up properly.

Good luck with the sale.  She's a beaut

1/20/21 12:18 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

The fuel leaking is likely a stuck needle valve.  You may be able to lightly tap the carb with a small ball-peen hammer and get it to loosen up properly.

Thank you for the tip! I will give that a shot the next time I head to the house. Going to try and do a few little things to it but carbs are completely foreign to me.

1/20/21 12:18 p.m.
slowbird said:

The only thing stopping you is you wink 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/20/21 12:59 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:
slowbird said:

The only thing stopping you is you wink 

And garage space, or lack thereof. blush

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/20/21 1:01 p.m.

Wow, you don't see these in that kind of shape anymore! This would be a fun car and easy project for the Malaise Motors crowd. Priced well!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 1:30 p.m.

I'm old enough to remember seeing that two tone color combo all over.  I think slowbird should buy it.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner New Reader
1/20/21 1:41 p.m.

If it was a hatchback, I'd be wiring the money over already

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/21 1:45 p.m.

Yes, remember a few of them (along with several Pintos) in our high school parking lot back in the late 70's and early 80's. Won't work for me as I would just cut it all up and try to install a Coyote in it. Slowbird needs to bring it to the challenge!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/21 3:54 p.m.

I cant help myself!  PM sent

1/20/21 7:32 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 7:48 p.m.

Even with a smogged four cylinder and an automatic, that looks like an awful lot of fun for two grand.

Mr_Asa
1/20/21 7:57 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

Thank you for the tip! I will give that a shot the next time I head to the house. Going to try and do a few little things to it but carbs are completely foreign to me.

You can also try taking the fuel line off and blocking it, then let the engine run for a bit to let the fuel level in the carb drop down, once it has blast some air or carb cleaner or whatnot into the fuel inlet.  Goal is to dislodge the needle and get it moving again.

Pretty sure you've got a Weber under there.  If so, the needle valve is #14 here https://www.carbparts.eu/exploded_view/WEBER_32-36_DGAV-DGEV

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/21/21 12:20 p.m.

That is pretty dang cool. One of my S-I-L drove one very similar to that one.  The MPG version was a stripper model to get weight down and hopefully mileage up.  The Pinto MPG was really stripped down.  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
1/21/21 1:43 p.m.

The carb on my V6 Mustang II used a plastic float that absorbed fuel over time and sank causing all kinds of issues as it never shut off the flow of fuel to the bowl.   That may be your culprit here too.   

Grandma fresh example here.  Same colors as my grandma's kitchen even.   

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/21/21 2:02 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
1/21/21 3:21 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

laugh

and I am heading down on Saturday... laugh

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 4:40 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

I am very happy about this!

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
1/21/21 4:45 p.m.

Nice little score for someone and local too. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
1/23/21 12:40 p.m.

Look for a build thread coming soon!

Mr_Asa
1/23/21 12:44 p.m.

Nice! What are the plans?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
1/23/21 12:58 p.m.

is it as nice under it as the pictures show ?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/23/21 2:45 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Heck yeah! Glad to see it scooped up by a GRMer!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GPmaf88yNj8D5zSm6MMbM2ajLWfKCypQrxsouVerAiiruyMdygXdBXcIIt1gEdt1