LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/19 2:37 p.m.

I never thought the day would come, but apparently I suck at work:life balance ... so the "Hammerzeit" 190E 16v is up for sale.

Extremely well-sorted, competitive, and reliable. This one has a 2.5L stroker engine, DTM manifold, and Weber DCO carbs.

Asking price includes extensive spares package, including 2.3L engine, Getrag dog-leg transmission, and multiple sets of wheels.

Ready to race, but fully road legal.

The car is on consignment at Guten Parts & Service in northern New Jersey. Full details here: https://www.gutenparts.com/vehicle-for-sale/190e-16v-mercedes-benz-street-legal-track-car-hammerzeit-190e-cosworth-12

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
7/17/19 2:51 p.m.

Man that's beautiful.  GLWS.  

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
7/17/19 2:52 p.m.

Just saw it posted over on FB, beautiful 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/19 10:41 a.m.

Noooooooooo!

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
7/19/19 1:04 a.m.

I love the car, but can't help think of Top Gear when I hear dog leg transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQf2MYU5QC0

LanEvo
7/19/19 12:31 p.m.

^^^ that was a fake reality TV moment.

You can't accidentally shift into reverse because there's a lock-out. To get into reverse, you need to pull up on the knob and push hard against the gate to release the lock.

In real life, if you absentmindedly push up and to the left (where you'd expect 1st gear to be) you just end up in 2nd gear. You'll bog the car and probably stall ... but you won't smash into the guy behind you.

The dog-leg first does take a little getting used to. But I was surprised to find it wasn't such a big deal. And it really does make perfect sense on track. It pretty much eliminates the risk of money-shifting.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:27 p.m.

My 928s4 has a dogleg. I don’t remember a lock out in that car. Another reason I need to get another one. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/19 6:33 a.m.

Doglegs. Oh goodness. In Aruba we were on a tour of the island. They had these big old land rovers chopped into flatbeds with benches and asked if any of us wanted to drive. Probably to save money and probably because they didn’t have real insurance. Naturally I volunteered to drive one of them. Probably 8 people in the back, caravan of three of these. Aruba has like four major sections on a 20x6 mile island. West is white sandy beaches, central is desert scrub like New Mexico, east is rocky, rugged like the coast of Maine, south east is more of a hilly grassy area. That’s the military section so I’m mostly guessing.

So anyway we go from the white sands thru New Mexico over to these switchbacks to get down to the rugged coast. No problem. We get out and swim, wife yells at me for keeping bait bread in my pockets because we are SWARMED by fish. Afterward this other person volunteers to drive back. I reluctantly relinquish the keys. We almost died. SHE KEPT FORGETTING THE DOGLEG!!! On the switchbacks She’d bog it down, start it again and then over and over put it in reverse!! She kept saying IT WONT RUN RIGHT THERES SOMETHINGWRONG WITH THIS THING. One time we jammed back into the following truck, which was the only thing between us and tumbling down the cliff, they were like “we’ll move” and all of us in the back yelled NO DONT MOVE!!!

at this point the other tourists were like “you drive!” to me but I felt a little sheepish taking it from her. Nowadays I would have probably been more forceful. Anyway, finally the guide parks his up above, runs back down and gets us to the top.

and that’s my dogleg transmission story. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/21/19 6:37 p.m.

Martin Brundle loves these. 

porschenut
porschenut Reader
7/21/19 7:41 p.m.

Addicted to dog leg 5 speeds.  My 914s, 79 924S, and now a 91 mercedes 300SL with a getrag 5 speed all had them.  Bit of a pain in traffic, but so cool otherwise.  On the track the box makes sense.  On the street it is a throwback to the old days. Never caught reverse by mistake, on the 300 I can't even get reverse when I want it on the first try.

LanEvo
7/22/19 6:01 p.m.
porschenut said:

91 mercedes 300SL with a getrag 5 speed ... Never caught reverse by mistake, on the 300 I can't even get reverse when I want it on the first try.

I'm almost 100% certain the gearbox in the 300SL is the same as the one in the 190E Cosworth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9vZPuHihOfo89KwSfTHsOAI2M7YXlk3O1EIlsNFA1s2fez3mU789ZxKXmAe8u3j5