TurboSportTSi
TurboSportTSi
5/10/14 8:58 p.m.

FS: LS-swapped E36 track car

The time has come for me to find a new home for my beloved track car. I built it as a safe, fast, fun, raw, reliable, corner-carving DE and eventually time trials car that can still be legally driven on the street. Unfortunately, being busy with work and family, I just don't have the time to use it nearly as much as I'd like to. I've only been able to do one DE and a handful of lapping days in the past 2 years.

It started life as a 98.5 M3, but I later discovered that the chassis had been wrecked previously and wasn't repaired correctly, so I swapped literally everything of value over to the clean 325is chassis that you see now. It progressed into an awesome DE car, but had always needed more power.

Enter the LS swap. I wanted a light and powerful car without ruining the classic E36 balance that we all know and love. The short, all-aluminum V8 and the light-weight aluminum Muncie transmission were just the ticket, adding no additional weight, and moving the center of gravity back and down, while eliminating the bulk and rotational mass of unnecessary overdrive gears. Now the car is an absolute riot to drive on track. It handles very well, brakes extremely hard, and actually has the power to pass other cars on the straights...something that I couldn't always do with my old S52. It also stays very consistent throughout every session, with no hint of fading, overheating, etc.

As it sits, it weighs around 2750 lbs with a half tank of fuel, and it has recently dynoed at 301 WHP / 302 WTQ corrected on a local DynoJet. A simple cam swap would net an easy 30-40 WHP, if one so desired. I wanted to keep it sane and factory reliable while I progressed through the DE ranks. For now, it is a good combination of light and powerful.

The exterior is a definite 10 footer - the paint has a nice, deep gloss to it, but the clear coat had started to peel when I got this chassis. The roof was the worst, so I removed as much of it as I could, then spray-cleared and rough wet sanded it. It has a matte finish now, but has stopped the peeling on that section. There are a few rock chips and dings, but it is in surprisingly good condition for a track car...but certainly not a show car, though it does turn heads (and get confused looks) regularly! It's not something you would feel bad about if something minor happened on track, like you would with your daily driver.

As it sits, it is ready to hit the track. it handles very well, pulls cleanly to redline, and brakes smoothly. The only points of note are that 3rd gear has been getting crunchy when engaging, and the trans leaks about a tablespoon of oil when hot, but none when cold. The shifter mechanism could probably use a rebuild, as it has developed some play. I believe Hurst themselves can rebuild it if you want, though the lead time is a bit long for mid-season service. Might be easier to replace it.

Overall, it is a very capable track car that can legally be driven to the track with the comfort of power windows (great when it rains!) and power mirrors. Building this car has been my passion since 2006 and I will miss it greatly. I hope the new owner will enjoy it as I have.

I am asking 16,500 OBO for the car and all spares & tools that I can come up with. Will also consider trades for an E46 M3. Located in Frederick, CO. We can work something out for delivery / shipping / pickup. Feel free to email me at turbo sport tsi at hot mail dotcom

Pictures can be seen here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2100330-FS-LS-swapped-E36-track-car

A few videos of the exhaust from the outside and a lap of High Plains Raceway when I was testing my pedal box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEE7RtsnGgc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqqxEQkf3U&list=UU9F22NF3pcTDm0YxJLAwteg

List Date: 5/3/2014 Location: Frederick, CO, United States

For more info, click here to view the original listing: FS: LS-swapped E36 track car

On Sale For: $16500 (Local Pickup Only)

Mobile friendly version: FS: LS-swapped E36 track car

• Updated - - -

EQUIPMENT LIST

1994 BMW 325is coupe (3/94 build date) Alpine White III

Powertrain: GM L33 - High Output 5.3L aluminum block and heads. 9.9:1 compression ratio. LS2 style rods with floating wrist pins. Early F-body LS1 cam LS6 valve springs ARP head bolts F-body intake manifold, TB, 28lb injectors, and MAF 0411 PCM, tuned by Colorado Performance Unlimited AEI passengers side bottom mount alternator kit F-body water pump Kevko fabricated sheet metal oil pan with road race baffles Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper and modified windage tray 1-5/8 -> 1-3/4" ceramic coated, stepped long-tube headers with v-bands at collectors ARP header bolts Dual 3" to single 3" exhaust to Dynomax Ultra-Flo muffler Corvette FPR/filter Dual fuel pump conversion GM Muncie M21 close ratio 4-speed transmission Hurst Comp+ shifter Coleman racing aluminum driveshaft McLeod SFI-rated billet flywheel ARP flywheel bolts SPEC LS1 clutch & pressure plate Howe Racing hydraulic throwout bearing Heat barrier insulated brake/clutch lines and starter Remote oil filter mount Catch can New Behr radiator

Suspension: E36 M3 suspension (trailing arms, hubs, axles, everything) 3.23 LSD rear differential w/ new BW clutches Ground Control SA coilovers - shortened dampers and 650# F/~628# R springs AST rear ride height adjusters Vorshlag camber plates VMC aluminum adjustable rear control arms - race version UUC 27mm front sway bar H&R 21mm rear sway bar TMS end links all around BimmerWorld delrin LCAB bushings E46 M3 RTABS Vorshlag delrin RTAB limiters AKG 75D rear subframe bushings New differential bushings Active Autowerke diff support brace (DSB) Z3 rear shock mount reinforcements E36 M3 OE subframe mount reinforcements New outer rear ball joints New front control arms New tie rods Z3 steering rack E36 M3 LTW x-brace

Wheels and Brakes: Apex ARC-8 17x9 wheels in Anthracite H&R 15mm spacers & bolts in front Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 tires in 255/40/17 E36 M3 brakes Solid brass caliper guide bushings in front Brand new rotors all around PFC 08 brake pads all around Motul RBF600 brake fluid UUC SS braided brake lines ABS delete All new wheel bearings Gruven Parts brake ducting backing plates Brake cooling ducts

Chassis & Safety: OBP Track Pro pedal box w/ Tilton master cylinders Custom dead pedal OBP remote brake bias adjuster, dash mounted TCK/BimmerHaus roll bar w/ welded center section Camcorder roll bar mount External microphone in trunk Sabelt Taurus XL head restraint drivers seat - FIA legal Corbeau Forza Sport pass seat - FIA legal Schroth Profi III ASM camlock 6pt harness Schroth 2" DOT legal ASM (custom built) 6pt harness Custom sheet aluminum door panels Steering column lowered 1" Tilt wheel steering column NRG quick release ItalVolanti 350mm poly steering wheel Momo hub adapter Kydex dash/glove box block-off plates Prosport premium water temp gauge HVAC system removed and replaced with sheet aluminum block-off plate Motion Motorsport aluminum underpanel Custom sheet metal radiator baffling Sunroof delete All carpet & sound deadening removed

Exterior: E36 M3 bumpers, sport side skirts, & mirrors Custom hood vents Rolled/pulled fenders OEM non-arched rear spoiler OE fog light deletes Understeer.com blackout kidney grilles Two tow hooks

I no longer own a trailer, but I will include the tie downs and T-hooks that I used with the car when it was trailered.

The dual catted, side exit "emissions exhaust" will be included so you have the option of keeping it street legal if you so choose.

I will also include any track spares that I have accumulated over the years...most of which are the original parts pulled from the car when I replaced them with new ones.

I will include all receipts that I can find from the build...I have a huge d-ring binder full of them, plus handy E36 DIY writeups & product instructions. The same goes for any custom tools that I have bought or made.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4UT24FIkmy1GT3QfEWroQkttEbRfXKlVuKWg2nwDXlECwsWNs4zjnqVHVcAILCU