1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/21 7:18 p.m.

Ok guys, Stampie found one down the road from me that I'm going to check out for him.  Other than it having a bent engine and not an inline, what problem areas do these things have that I should make sure I inspect?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/21 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The rear wheel fender lips tend to rust.  Check for codes.  Normal stuff really.  Thanks again for going to check it out for us.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/21 7:12 a.m.

I have a POS rusty truck im looking to sell. Those two points don't fit the bill you're looking for but its a manual 4wd truck with a v6.

Stampie (FS)
4/1/21 7:57 a.m.

In reply to dan0 (Forum Supporter) :

While that sounds cool I don't think Grandma Stampie would agree.

Stampie (FS)
4/1/21 5:51 p.m.

The one Mr_Asa was going to check out won't respond to him so we're still looking.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 6:09 p.m.

Talking to Grandma Stampie the other day she ask how much compost should she put in her truck.  Then says that when she gets rock it's really loaded down.  Did some simple math (remember SC education so gotta keep it simple) and we realize she's been overloading her truck.  So we started looking at 2500s and 3500s.  She wants a single rear axle so no duallies.  I went to look at a 2500 with a utility bed on it this evening.  Decent truck but after driving it I realize I couldn't see the odometer between the change oil notice and the air bag notice.  Finally a few cycles of the key I see it has 320k miles not the 150k they advertised.  Still looking just looking at heavier duty trucks now.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 12:12 a.m.

How about a F450 (Ford Superduty) with a big ol' 460 and a ZF 5 speed mt? She wont over load this!

(yes, it says 150 on the fender, but thats a long story)

Stampie
4/15/21 5:25 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

While cool in a very GRM way I don't want to hear what she says if I show her that picture.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Me, neither! smiley

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/21 9:56 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I have written about Fastenal Trucks before.  Expect single cab, long bed but V8.  All are Dodge.  Low option but not completely stripped. 

Here is a link to their current inventory: https://vehicles.fastenal.com/

Near you, is one in Pooler, GA (Savanah).  2017 Ram Tradesman, 2wd w/ Hemi V8 and 48k miles for $16,400.  Also one in Columbia, SC w/ 60k miles for $15.500

For the same price, it is hard to find a V6 Ram w/ under 125k miles.  Dealership sample at $15,750

This might be at the high end of your budget but just something to think about if she's looking for something current.  

I continue to wonder if the Fastenal trucks are an easy button you need.  Sure, a more expensive button but it gets you a much newer truck.  The two I referenced below are both gone.  The Fastenal inventory seems very low, but...

There is one in Tallahassee, '16 w/ 75k at $13.9k.  When you buy these, the graphics have already been removed.  

Trying to price the same, I went looking.  I'm convinced this is an old Fastenal Truck, '17 w/ 54k asking $24k.  The give aways that its a Fastenal truck is in the window sticker.  You see, on Dodge's there are sites where you can look up any window sticker with car VIN.  This one above, in last 3 lines of the window sticker, you see hitch delete, bed liner delete and mention of Group Funds-Fleet.  

Another with the same words in the window sticker, '18 w/ 17k at $22.8k.  Yet another, same words in sticker, '17 w/ 41k at $22.5k

Recently, while near my local Fastenal, I verified that their Rams don't have a hitch.

Stampie
4/15/21 5:31 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I agree but I haven't convinced her yet.  That's just more than she wants to spend right now.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/21 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oh, I get it.  Truck prices are crazy. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
co6c4jrq8LFT27M6gBICXNmDrmPSVg5QUDAAXGoE3pkLvFIZIlG9TzYmpIOno42K