1 2 3 4
hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/20 1:34 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UltraDork
10/10/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

I'm $1500 for the car as I bought it. The only money I've invested is normal maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, brakes, bearings and fluids. I have a big ass $50 electric fan that helps with top end and economy.  
Current budget is $1550. 
trying to work out springs and sway bars with Gumby, but we haven't finalized anything. 
I have 17" tires I bought for the thunderbird, other than that, I'm not partial to anything, but my budget probably caps around $300 for budget safety. 

Those 15s would be great, if I can find some good tires for $200 or less and get them mounted at challenge I'd Be very tempted. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/10/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

keep in mind, 4 tires are budget exempt.  or do you have a set of drags you're bringing too?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/10/20 1:56 p.m.

I have a free set of 17x7 4 bolts I grabbed from the curb.  Guy said his buddy ran them on a mustang so I got excited.

4x100 no.  Free if you can use them somehow.  They've lived a rough life but appear to be useable for challenge purposes.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Budget exempt, but not free, if you follow. I don't need drag tires, not with 88hp on tap. Just hoping I can squeeze something better than the stock 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

My tires are 245 wide so 7" should be acceptable. If I can find adapters for cheap that may be good. Can you measure the bore size?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/10/20 2:27 p.m.

They're stepped, the middle diameter looks to be about 70 mm and the end is about 62.  Guessing the step at the end is just to hold a cap tho.  I can get some better measurements if I can find a set of calipers.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/10/20 3:11 p.m.

Offset is 40.  Two have been straightened/welded, one twice.

Same one has a bend on the face.  Looks like it'd hold air (or could be persuaded to).

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Those are appropriately ugly. But the skinny center bore and need for adapters probably rules them out. Thanks though!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/10/20 4:25 p.m.

The hub on the Mustang is tapered and the small center bore probably isn't an issue once those are mounted on a 1" thick adapter. The 4x100 adapters are pretty cheap, but the hang-up may be getting the wheels from Jonah to me before 10/20.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/20 5:17 p.m.

How would you feel about flying to FL, then driving to MD and flying back to UT? If Curtis still has an empty trailer going south, I can put an EGT on it for you to campaign. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/10/20 6:17 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

The 62 diameter could be removed if needed.  

If we can't get them to you, I'm sure we can get them to Gainesville with one of the ohio/Michigan guys who are going this year.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 6:34 p.m.

Imma pull a wheel real fast and measure the thing. If the wheels can get to Gainesville, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Kansas City, or anywhere between, I can make it happen. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/20 6:48 p.m.

I love Challenge get E36 M3 done at the last minute stuff.  If it helps I have 4x100x114.3 15 inch wheels in Jax.   Needs tires or we can swap on the 3 good Toyo R1Rs and grab another for the 4th.  Tirerack as a warehouse 2 hours north of me.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 7:30 p.m.

Those wheels will work if we can find a way to get them somewhere along my route. Or close to my route. 
st. George,ut > denver,co > Kansas City > Indianapolis > Atlanta > Gainesville. 
the hubs on the mustang measure 64mm at the  rotor face so with an adapter we've got room to spare. I have tires I can easily bring. 
This is gonna be fun. 

Also, I know covid and all, I'll bring some hand sanitizer and masks, but I think I'll have an extra bed in my hotel room as it doesn't look like dad is coming. If anyone needs it, shoot me a pm. Plan is to cannonball as quietly and solitarily as possible, sleeping in the surprisingly roomy car or a tent, so I should be fairly isolated and safe along the way. Pitch in whatever or nothing, join my team, or don't. I'm easy to get along with. Would be Thursday and Friday night only. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/20 7:39 p.m.

If someone can get my wheels to florida you can borrow them and send them back with john brown.  I have 15x8 4x4.25/4.5 dual pattern with hoosier sm7's.  I know they clear fox body hubs because my car has fox body rear brakes.  The budget hit is about $200.  Unfortunately the relay to florida leg from my place left yesterday morning.   I am 9 minutes from jonah so either set would require the same legwork to get to you, but mine bolt on and have usable rubber.  They're my dream wheels for my datsun so they absolutely must come back.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 8:04 p.m.

Info to keep in mind; I have tire machine access here so anything requiring such machines would be free here vs. other places.

I would be willing to meet someone in Dayton or maybe Columbus on Friday 10/16 if that makes things happen

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/10/20 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I appreciate the offer. I'm hesitant only because if something happens along the way it would be hard for me to guarantee a timely return. 

10/10/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

columbus you may as well just come the rest of the way here, shiny happy person

gumby (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 8:53 p.m.

If I announce a run all the way to Columbus, the list of people I need to see makes it at least a three day trip LOL

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/11/20 3:33 p.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:

Info to keep in mind; I have tire machine access here so anything requiring such machines would be free here vs. other places.

I would be willing to meet someone in Dayton or maybe Columbus on Friday 10/16 if that makes things happen

I can get the old tires off the rims.  New tires could be mounted at a rest stop with a few pry bars and a can of silicone spray.  No balanancing needed for the challenge laugh

10/16 isn't great for me bc we're planning to visit my MIL next Sunday/Monday so we've been isolating.  I may be able to talk swmbo into a trip to Indy on the 20th since she's technically off work (originally for the challenge) as long as we hit Ft Wayne for Mexican.  Let me get a few drinks going and I'll see what she thinks.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/11/20 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Not critical, but what size are the tires on those wheels? Current plans put me at Gumby's either late 19th or early 20th. 

Yall are awesome, amazing folks. 

10/11/20 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Check your text i'll get them to Gumby friday

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/11/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry i didn't see that until now. A fine offer. For some reason, I'm not excited about flying out and back. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/11/20 5:53 p.m.

Anyone concerned about 245-45s on 17x7s 

I don't think it'll be terrible... but I'm no expert. Better than my 175-70-13s anyway. And all the traveling will be on the 13s. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2z9DVc3L8dzDYvgTryaZaiDgKbV03pBydMAZZqOv1vU1cvaXQHfJW9hgxWNLS4v