1 2 3
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/19 3:20 p.m.

Testing the waters.  I want to sell my 96 Impala SS, but not sure what I can get for it.  It has sentimental value, but they aren't selling for a ton these days.  Just being honest.  I am a straight shooter, especially here because I don't poop where I eat, if you catch my drift.  I either want to sell it to one of you folks and keep it in the family, or put it out in the yard during a Carlisle swap meet and maybe get a bit more for it.  If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM with an offer.  I honestly won't be offended with lowballs, I just need to get an idea, and if one of you hits me with a number that perks up my radar we'll talk more.

Factual stuff:

• 96 SS
  • dual power seats
  • one owner
  • clean PA title in my name

Good stuff:

• 4.10 gears and torsen-style posi
  • recent timing chain, water pump, alternator, PS pump, oil pan gasket.  I started with the oil pan gasket and figured "since I'm in there," and did basically the whole front accessory drive.
  • recent A/C kit, blows cold
  • recent ball joints and bushings
  • Intrax lowering springs and Bilstein shocks
  • SLP cold air intake
  • PCM tuned (87 octane tune, which means a tiny bump for ignition and a re-curve of the fuel map.  Also shifts firmed)
  • I used to run auto repair shops, so it always got more maintenance than it needed.
  • comes with a bunch of spare parts
  • Dynomax dual 2.5" exhaust with tailpipe delete (dumps in front of axle)
  • New starter last fall

Not good stuff:

• some rust, but not bad
  • front seats are pretty wasted
  • cruise control inop (I see damaged wires on the turn signal stick so that is likely the problem)
  • dash discolored/cracked
  • blower resistor has failed so it only works on high speed
  • dent in driver's door and driver's fender (but I have some squeaky clean GM original panels to replace them)
  • paint peeling off of spoiler

A really sweet thing:

• I also have a TNET1247 Viper T56 brand new from the Mopar parts counter that I had modified with a GM LT1 input shaft and front plate, and had a GM tailhousing bored out to keep the massive viper output shaft.  2.66/.50 gearset.  Never installed, never had fluid in it.  Over $3600 invested, make offer if curious.  Comes with LT1 style bellhousing.  It is more or less a bolt-in, but you'll have to fab a driveshaft.  I even have a Mustang billet shifter to go with it.

In a nutshell (TL;DR), mechanically it is great and it runs perfectly.  Cosmetically, it is kind of a mess.  I haven't carfaxed it yet, but if you do you might see 2 or 3 owners.  That is because I sold it to my dad (needed money after college) and then bought it back from him, but this has been my car new from day one from Delaney Chevrolet in Indiana PA when I bought it new with 26 miles on it.

PM me with an offer on the car, the T56, or both.   KBB says the private party value is about $5500, but I think that is optimistic.  NADA says a low retail of $7700, but seriously... it is not an $8000 car.

Pictures taken this past weekend (sunday 5/26) after a fresh bath, so full disclosure... parts of it are still wet.  Paint is pretty good, but weathered and old.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
5/30/19 8:57 a.m.

Where's the rust? Are the replacement body panels a different color? This seems like an excellent way into one of these.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 9:26 a.m.

that drivers seat smells like curtass.

Curtis
5/30/19 11:00 a.m.
Powar said:

Where's the rust? Are the replacement body panels a different color? This seems like an excellent way into one of these.

Only rust-through is a small spot (less than a dime) behind the right rear wheel opening.  Frame is solid, but some parts under there have a fair amount of surface rust.  The axle looks a bit like raisin bran flakes.

Body panels (I snagged both front fenders and driver's door) from a gold colored Caprice.  It was a rear-ended car and I snagged the right fender as well because my current right fender had a ding which got bondo.  The new body panels came from a 30k-mile car, so they are pristine.

I figure the new owner could drive it as-is, or hang the body panels, fix the rust spot, and shoot the whole car.  New seats, new dash, and new paint/body and it would be a real looker.  Mechanically, it is fantastic.  Trans filter/fluid/pan at 60k, 100k, and 140k.  Tires good, brakes good.  I plan on getting it inspected next week and I'm quite certain it will pass.

Curtis
5/30/19 11:01 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

that drivers seat smells like curtass.

many miles of my farts have passed through that leather.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 11:36 a.m.

Someone should buy this and my no rust NC bodied 95 roller with non ripped seats and combine them into one really awesome car.  

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
5/30/19 12:23 p.m.

I've always loved these cars, and would love to be in a position to make an offer on the whole T56 package, but I'm not in a position to give it the love it deserves.  Good luck on the sale! 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/19 1:59 p.m.

Good luck with the sale man. These are neat. 

Curtis
5/30/19 5:20 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

I've always loved these cars, and would love to be in a position to make an offer on the whole T56 package, but I'm not in a position to give it the love it deserves.  Good luck on the sale! 

That's exactly why I'm selling... not in a position to give it the love it deserves.  I have Duke's LeMans to modify :)

slomaro2
slomaro2 New Reader
6/2/19 3:34 p.m.

Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllly want a 6 speed impala/caprice or marauder/crown vic/grand Marquis. GLWTS and I'll be watching this one. 

Curtis
6/3/19 11:36 a.m.

Make me an offer.  You never know....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/19 12:25 p.m.

3 Years ago I'd have had this instead of my C10. 

Curtis
6/7/19 10:52 a.m.

Well, no one sent me a PM.  Last chance before craigslist.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/19 2:39 p.m.

So...bump? 

Still have the T56? Would all the parts fit in the car and is it road trip worthy?

Curtis
12/22/19 6:27 p.m.

All the parts would fit.  Ready for a road trip as far as I know.  10 miles on a new exhaust and inspection.  Still have the T56.

Make me an offer.

PM me and I can send you a PDF of a vehicle history report

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
12/26/19 7:41 a.m.

I tried to PM about the car and got a kick back saying email not valid

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/27/19 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

You’ve got mail. 

Patrick
12/27/19 10:57 a.m.

FYI if anyone here buys Curtis's car and wants a no rust NC body with better interior pieces to combine into one very nice car, hit me up.  It won't be available until early summer but i'm going to sell it without the LS1 at some point after winter 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/27/19 2:07 p.m.

Are the interior /exterior colors the same on the two SSs? 

Patrick
12/27/19 2:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes.  All SS are gray inside.  Both are black outside. Mine needs hood, front bumper and spoiler repainted.  I have extra fenders, extra headlights, extra interior parts, extra bunch of stuff.  

i have been on the fence for a while, and know when i get to that point i have to move it along because i'll never rekindle the flame.  

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
2/23/20 6:09 p.m.

i have a buddy looking for a car to have fun with and spray at the track... this looks like an excellent candidate

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/20 4:52 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

Tell him to make me an offer

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
3/3/20 2:14 a.m.

he's pretty set on not spending more than 1k. idk if that's too low for you

good chance we'll end up blowing it learning nitrous things so he doesn't want to invest much into whatever its gonna be considering rebuilds are quite likely

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/20 9:26 a.m.

Haaa... I've never tried nitrous for that exact reason.

I do have one guy locally (sucker) on the line for $3500.  That's more than it's worth, but he really  wants an SS.  Of course, he's been on the line now for three months so I don't have high expectations.

I'll let you know when I get to $1000.

Someone from here PM'd me to send pics of any rust and I never did.... off to dig through my email.  Hard to get pics of underbody when the frame is about 4" off the ground.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/3/20 9:45 a.m.
Curtis73 said:

Haaa... I've never tried nitrous for that exact reason.

I do have one guy locally (sucker) on the line for $3500.  That's more than it's worth, but he really  wants an SS.  Of course, he's been on the line now for three months so I don't have high expectations.

I'll let you know when I get to $1000.

Someone from here PM'd me to send pics of any rust and I never did.... off to dig through my email.  Hard to get pics of underbody when the frame is about 4" off the ground.

Yup that was me. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X06mtvUkdIBH3s2tTRwScXHpHwin0fjN8LPkpgaIqZues2ItY65zvoxtpA0EKoRF