stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/15/22 4:48 p.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/15/22 5:02 p.m.

Gotta be RHD.  Put the dog over there just to get double takes and pulled over.

:~ )

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/22 5:17 p.m.

Not over 25 years, probably no import paperwork. Not going to be street legal in most places. Just saying. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
9/16/22 8:04 a.m.
dan0 (Forum Supporter) said:

Not over 25 years, probably no import paperwork. Not going to be street legal in most places. Just saying. 

Basically risking throwing $8k in the trash because the feds can and will seize it. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/16/22 8:56 a.m.

They're so cheap in Japan, you could probably bring one over on the boat for a little more than half of this all said and done. I've done it twice, it's pretty easy.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/17/22 8:03 a.m.

https://www.beforward.jp/suzuki/every/bm499592/id/3971277/?mfg_year_from=1990

$3700, vehicle and shipping to the east coast

$1000, approx import fees

???? Transport from port to your location

???? Registration fees. 

Over 25 years old so with import you'll get EPA and DOT exemptions. Depending on your state you may have to go through a basic inspection, then register like a normal vehicle in most states. Some states have been pulling registrations or denying outright (NY,PA,RI) I'm in CT and we're still good. With a number of them on the road increasing. I bought two trucks in February, they arrived in July. I still need to get them through my inspection and register. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/22 8:52 a.m.

In reply to dan0 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks to you I found a van that I never knew I needed! 

Van

RabidBullFrog
RabidBullFrog New Reader
9/19/22 3:44 a.m.

RHD as a daily is do able. I've DDed mine for 2 yrs now. It also helps to have 2 RHD, (+ 1 on the way, what can I say I might have a problem) so when your waiting on "over night" parts from Japan you can drive the other 1. Plus it helps your diet, if you really need that Mickey D's cheese burger your reverse game better be good.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/19/22 7:55 a.m.

I'll second that. RHD isn't tough to get used to. Shifting, no problem. The two things that get me is I'll still sometimes walk to the wrong door. And the other is turn signals are on the opposite side of the steering column than LHD cars. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/22 8:39 a.m.

I can't say I've driven RHD much in this country, but I used to drive a ton of LHD cars before leaving the UK, my sister even had a LHD 2CV for a couple of years.  Driving on the 'wrong' side of the car is no big deal after the first 1/4 mile.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
9/19/22 8:48 a.m.

I'll second that. RHD isn't tough to get used to. Shifting, no problem. The two things that get me is I'll still sometimes walk to the wrong door. And the other is turn signals are on the opposite side of the steering column than LHD cars. 

I'm not sure why but I preferred the turn signal placement in my Skyline vs my LHD cars. It felt more natural 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/22 12:36 p.m.

Wrong side of the car?  Lol.  I was born in the UK and lived there until I was 25 when I moved here, I'm now 53.  Occasionally, even after I've lived here over half my life I still walk to the wrong side of the car.  Only 2-3 times a year, but I still do it.  I think it's because it's one of those things I learned at such a young age it's hard wired into my brain deep down.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
9/19/22 12:56 p.m.

I drove my RHD VW camper hippie bus 17,000 miles 

Bought it in London and got all the way to Istanbul and back and tons of places in-between.

On highways not a problem , but passing trucks on a winding mountain road was interesting!

Glad I had my girlfriend in the passenger seat as a look out / spotter.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UeLS2VCCss4tsqh5KwdW8GQY5Cl4U4fXuwVlUtiDoqO1nN2r9MkgxRPiyJUBRakK