Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
7/27/20 1:29 p.m.

Hey all, 

I've moved on from E36 M3s and am looking at BRZs/FR-S, preferably located within a few hours of DC. The car would be used for autocross and a few track days per year (I have some ownership in an E36 racecar so I don't need an insane track car).

If anyone is selling or knows of anyone selling one of these cars (budget is in mid-teens), please let me know. Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who is able to help smiley

Cheers,

Christopher 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Wizard_Of_Maz :

Funnily enough I'm also keeping an eye out for them in the same or similar area, and so far there just doesn't seem that much available, a lot of them are slushbox ones and the others are a bit pricey.

I know there's a really low mileage fairly recent one in Martinsburg WV, but the dealer is asking over $20k.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/27/20 2:25 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/27/20 2:47 p.m.

I feel like you can find them really easily around here, no?  I certainly see enough of them on the streets. I don't know about years/mileage at that price, but it seems quite reasonable.  Much more reasonable than my search for a 2009 Cayman S....

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
7/27/20 3:01 p.m.

Thanks for the responses all. 

Tim - good luck with your search, and great minds think alike :) Hope to see you at Summit or NJMP at some point. I'm also running into trouble finding nice manual cars 

Jeremy - appreciate it, mostly looking for manual cars at this time

Dave - There are a lot out there, but searching for these cars is reminding me of when I first searched for my G35. So many horrible mods out there. There are some clean stock cars - I guess my ideal car is lightly modded (headers+ tune, maybe light suspension work), but I've been having trouble finding that balance. May just have to buy a stock car and do the mods myself

7/27/20 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Wizard_Of_Maz :

If you look at the pics it appears to be a manual trans.  Many CL ads and 99% of FBMP ads are wrong about what gearbox a car has.

7/27/20 3:28 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

I'm pretty sure that's an automatic - the shifters look very similar other than the automatic having a plastic plate/gear indicator on the left, plus "Park" seems to be at top right.

Also, the display in the speedo says "P".

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/27/20 6:18 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

I'm pretty sure that's an automatic - the shifters look very similar other than the automatic having a plastic plate/gear indicator on the left, plus "Park" seems to be at top right.

Also, the display in the speedo says "P".

Plus blank off plate/cover piece in place of clutch master cylinder in the engine bay...

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/27/20 6:31 p.m.

If using it for track/fun why not go salvage/rebuilt? I know someone on the FT86 forums (two guys in Florida actually) who rebuilt wrecked ones them for racers - invested the time to know which ones were salvageable and rebuilds them to spec. Believe Opie has a gig now with a racing/driving school, but can probably still provide input and work on restoring them.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133231

FRZ86
FRZ86
7/28/20 8:16 a.m.

I went from an e36 M3 to a BRZ and have loved it. Fun, light, great handling car with huge aftermarket support. It has noticeably less power than the e36, especially low rpm torque, so if you screw up and don't carry enough speed through a corner you'll notice.

Unfortunately, they're still rare to find sub $10k with a clean title, especially in the DC area. However, you can usually find rebuilt titles closer to $5-6k.

7/28/20 8:30 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Dammit, you're right.  My bad

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
7/28/20 8:38 a.m.
FRZ86 said:

Unfortunately, they're still rare to find sub $10k with a clean title, especially in the DC area. However, you can usually find rebuilt titles closer to $5-6k.

Where can you find these?

7/28/20 9:18 a.m.
boileralum
boileralum GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/28/20 10:36 a.m.

That last one has a Rice Krispies tune, lol

7/28/20 11:13 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Dammit, you're right.  My bad

Heh. I've been staring at ads for them for way too long already, and they're not even the top of my list.

7/28/20 11:15 a.m.
FRZ86 said:

Yeah, pretty much all rebuilt title ones I've seen so far came in around $10k if they were in reasonable distance from here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g7reLI1qA2qA68xcgG7P5sJKdBKOnOW0LQc7DHlYyqQ9LLRCc41z8hwQ9m86ytCR