niggannivea
niggannivea
5/24/19 11:56 p.m.

A friend I mentioned to about wanting to get into racing, wants to help me build some connections and just getting into the "scene".

Keep in mind, while I'm not totally against it, some of this will probably included street racing/drag.

My main interest is with track racing and learning to become more skillful in how I drive (clipping apexes, when to use oversteer/understeer strategically, generally learning who is the better driver, not just who has the faster car in a straight line).

With all that now said, what advice can you guys offer in terms of: Do's, Don'ts, what to keep an eye out for (good and bad), what to expect, etc in any and all of those different crowds listed above? xvideos

I made it clear I want to be meeting serious people who car about how they drive, their cars, etc, not just ricers with stick-on turbo whistles.

But who knows what'll happen? xnxx

Also, for those interested I'm in the North East US, if that scene is different than other areas.

Any help is appreciated! xxx

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/25/19 3:36 a.m.

I would recommend starting with a local autocross. That is a great way to work on driving skills in a safe and legal environment. If you have a track close by, check to see if they have SCCA Track Night in America. If so, that seems like a good way to get out on an actual track relatively cheaply and easily. 

Plenty of people here can provide lots of advice on both activities and chances are you may find someone fairly local to you on here.

(What is the over-under for number of responses until ‘biggest’ and ‘hat’ show up in the same posr?)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/25/19 4:13 a.m.

Maybe post In this thread to try and find someone local to you. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/25/19 7:53 a.m.

Autocross is the gateway drug of choice for cars. It's inexpensive (relatively), low risk, and a friendly environment. Do an internet search for your local SCCA region and see where and when events are held. If you find that after an event or two you need more, someone at the event will know the guy to talk to who also does track stuff. Go talk to them. Best of luck!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/19 9:41 a.m.

I'll be the first to suggest that you not street race. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
5/25/19 10:01 a.m.

Why is this in cars for sale?

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/25/19 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You’ve gotten great advice so far. I do want to warn you racing can be addictive.  You come back into the pits with a great big grin on your face and by the end of the event your face will be sore from smiling. 

Nice people seem to be attracted to racing ( with a few exceptions but those you just ignore) helpful people willing to pitch in and help you fix your car, suggest ways to improve it, tell you where the good deals are, warm you about poor mechanics or bad places to get stuff done etc. 

People who will invite you to sit around their campfire and have a beer/ wine. Give you homemade cookies, offer you a hamburger off their grill. 

People that you’ll respect and like your whole life! Who will lend you tools parts and help you fit them so you can go out and have more fun racing.  

Eventually you’ll meet the track support people. They volunteer their time to enjoy the atmosphere. Register you, stand out on the corners in the rain/sun/ whatever to warn you of any change since the last time you went around, help you if you pull off with problems etc. 

You can pay them back by offering them rides during the noon time parade. Or if they hold them, after the track closes. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsLRHj9M72iiqYPz5N4HNllXCl4PMRglsUmZtRm0VbGpl1CY8gph8ZrEgX4tjwl5