nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/17/20 7:55 p.m.

To me at least.

From a style perspective.

$1k. I'm sure that'll occasion ' that has one too many zeros.' lol.

One day I will own an American car with a derriere this big.

Buick Electra.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
10/17/20 8:00 p.m.

Cool looking ride and it even has a Buick engine in it instead of the Oldsmobile a lot of them had in that era.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/18/20 5:50 a.m.

I would so rock that

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/18/20 6:08 a.m.

And, that 78 was considered to be the small version.  The 1976 was the last year of bigger...

http://smclassiccars.com/buick/155213-1976-buick-electra-225-limited-two-door-coupe.html

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/18/20 6:31 a.m.

Wow, an American icon of the 70s, the full size 2-door coupe! I'll bet when some proud owner brought that home for the first time in 1978, all the neighbors came over to check it out. "They don't build them like they used to" is so true.  As tastes change, I suppose that market segment has been replaced by big fancy pickup trucks and SUVs. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/18/20 6:39 a.m.

My theory... What killed the 2 door was child car seat laws.

You see, back then, before car seats the responsible thing to do if you had toddlers was to buy a 2 door and send the kids in back seat. This way, the kids were safer since they didn't have a door they could open in a moving car. 

But, after car seat laws, the 2 doors made it too hard to fasten in the kids. Eventually, child protected rear door latches became popular/ mandated so the kids couldn't open door of a moving car again.  

drock25too
drock25too Reader
10/18/20 8:11 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

And, that 78 was considered to be the small version.  The 1976 was the last year of bigger...

http://smclassiccars.com/buick/155213-1976-buick-electra-225-limited-two-door-coupe.html

I had the four door version of that. If you nailed the throttle you could watch the speedometer race the gas gauge to see which one pegged first, one going up the other down.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/20 8:29 p.m.
drock25too said:
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

And, that 78 was considered to be the small version.  The 1976 was the last year of bigger...

http://smclassiccars.com/buick/155213-1976-buick-electra-225-limited-two-door-coupe.html

I had the four door version of that. If you nailed the throttle you could watch the speedometer race the gas gauge to see which one pegged first, one going up the other down.

Mom had one too, same color even. She was working nights at the hospital then & one night on the way home, swerved to miss a deer & ran over a drainage culvert in the ditch. She drove the car home fine, but the frame was bent. I had a friend-of-a-friend who had a similar era Regal, so he bought her car & dropped the 455 into his. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/20 9:05 p.m.

That sled deserves to be riding 3 inches off the pavement. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
10/18/20 9:25 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
drock25too said:
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

And, that 78 was considered to be the small version.  The 1976 was the last year of bigger...

http://smclassiccars.com/buick/155213-1976-buick-electra-225-limited-two-door-coupe.html

I had the four door version of that. If you nailed the throttle you could watch the speedometer race the gas gauge to see which one pegged first, one going up the other down.

Mom had one too, same color even. She was working nights at the hospital then & one night on the way home, swerved to miss a deer & ran over a drainage culvert in the ditch. She drove the car home fine, but the frame was bent. I had a friend-of-a-friend who had a similar era Regal, so he bought her car & dropped the 455 into his. 

Mine was kind of a rust bucket, the lady I got it from didn't take care of it and probably never washed it. I pulled the engine and tranny and put them in my '68 Suburban.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
10/20/20 2:14 p.m.

My grandfather had an 1976 Olds 98 in that color with a 455.  It was HUGE!  I drove it a fair amount as a teenager and it was actually not that bad.  A nice car back in the day, and you could land small aircraft on the hood.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/20/20 5:36 p.m.

I've been looking for a 1970 Delta 88 and one came up over my budget price.  Maybe someday.......imagine hauling across Montana doing 90mph on a summer day....(other pic is the goal)



 

 

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
10/20/20 7:52 p.m.

Somewhere I have a picture of me standing on one of these in a junkyard. I'm totally dwarfed by the monster. 74 Buick Electra


 

a friend had a MOPAR boat roughly the same size. I would totally rock one of these. 

Our Preferred Partners
CI1yGYfp83ds22B7OKVqH566HLuNLLhhek1LEL1CkULvEdnYWh5IxPYDhlNmKDxR