Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/22 11:45 a.m.

Found by forum member Ottawa, this thing seems almost too good to be true. I'm not sure I've ever seen this body style. Lockable center diff, stick, wagon, indestructible Toyota engine, cloth interior, western car, under $6k - someone jump on this NOW. The price seems good by 2019 standards, it's a steal today. Radwood would love it.

No association and it's on the other side of the mountains so I can't go check it out, sorry. I will do what I can to enable, though - for example, if someone needs to stash it in Grand Junction while they arrange for a longer trip home, I have space. It's been for sale since mid-December at least.

https://www.shortthrowinc.com/inventory/1989-toyota-corolla-sr5/454569

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/22 11:51 a.m.

That poor thing would  vaporize in its natural environment: rust belt winters. 

Keith Tanner
1/7/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You are saying that mountain winters are not a natural environment for it? CO has a lot of those late 80s 4WD cars like the BMWs, Mazdas and the like. They work well here. And they survive :)

But yeah, take it to Vermont and the clock starts ticking.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/22 11:54 a.m.

Wow... that seems like a steal for $6K.  Find another one in that condition.  They weren't exactly common when new.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/22 12:04 p.m.

That looks fun as heck. Ditch the integra wheels for some 15/16s with all terrains and it would be a hoot!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/22 12:50 p.m.

I absolutely love those, but yeah, don't take it anywhere they salt the roads.

Keith Tanner
1/7/22 1:00 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

That on was on the road until 2009 at least, based on the Archer sticker. So it made it 20 years. Not bad for 1989. My 1993 Civic perforated in 5.5.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/7/22 1:29 p.m.

That thing is amazing!

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/7/22 1:53 p.m.

UUUUGGGHHHH!  Why are the car gods so cruel.  If I was in any position for this it would make an epic journey home to MI.

It's ok my boss is saving a cockroach for me.  2000 Camry

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/7/22 1:58 p.m.

My sister owned one back in the late 90s.  Same color & interior but stock steel skinny (steel?) wheels.  I definitely used too much oversteer and spun a 180 at 50 mph on a snowy road in vermont when I borrowed it to go snowboarding.  Somehow I managed to miss the snow banks and stay on the road.  It was AWD, but I do think it had a 4WD low function.  

It wasn't fast, but it wasn't overly slow and it did  like to rev (no tach!).  It was noticeably quicker without any passengers or cargo.  It did feel more "tinny" than my 4WD tercel wagon.  It eventually became my younger brother's car until he had an offroad experience.  It became a neighbors field car when the spider gear had issues (can't remember the details of the driveline problem).  

Someone at my office used to have a grey one that looked pretty nice (~3-4 years ago).  I was tempted to leave a note on it...I wish I had.  Shortly after I stopped seeing it it was listed on craigslist for way too much money as a non-runner. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/7/22 4:58 p.m.

Interesting car.  Maybe a 1.5 hour drive from me.  Not really into it enough to go look at it/buy it tho.  Needs more turbo...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/7/22 8:48 p.m.

That is remarkably clean.  Do they not use salt in the part of CO?  

I would bet there would be some difficulty getting some of the drive train parts.  

I also noticed it changed ownership often the last few years.  

Keith Tanner
1/7/22 9:02 p.m.

Nope, no salt. Just magnesium chloride and lots of grit. The latter is a little hard on windshields. 

I noticed the ownership history as well. Maybe an old slow station wagon isn't for everyone once it got past the first couple, and I suspect the last owner is flipping. But all the others did keep it for a reasonable time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yrPzks815nCA1LoETkOC6YhYQZyxIthiFJeaKo3NyFR4nIi135Xv3UptINxmMdEP