irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/17/20 9:54 p.m.

Because this thing is pretty cool, and super-rare...and it's a 5MT...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2871260703092785/

NMNA

Image may contain: car and outdoor, text that says 'M McDonald's THRU MARATHON HதK'

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/20 6:38 a.m.

I had one of those for a hot minute.  You would have to wait for a gust of wind to help propel you from a stop light.  Otherwise cool rig

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/18/20 6:46 a.m.

If that isn't my old truck, it's an identical twin! It's embarrassing to admit, but that was one of my favorite DD vehicles ever! I wish that I was in the market and had the disposable cash-on-hand because I'd do it again. I don't set the bar very high for a DD, so I'd do it again. I will be listing my Chrysler Sno Runners for sale and if they sell, I'd grab this!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/18/20 11:33 a.m.

So much want.  I wish it was close enough for a thorough inspection of the underside for crusticles.  The following model with FI was a better vehicle but these are my favorites.  

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
11/19/20 9:37 a.m.

This is a crazy good deal! Joey4482 needs to get this to complement his 4 door.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
11/20/20 7:22 p.m.

I like the idea behind these, a 2 door SUV with a manual transmission, but these things accelerate like they are made from lead.  I wouldn't own one without a V8 transplant. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
11/21/20 7:14 a.m.
Carsandbikes said:

I like the idea behind these, a 2 door SUV with a manual transmission, but these things accelerate like they are made from lead.  I wouldn't own one without a V8 transplant. 

The montero V6 2-door is the answer to this problem, defintely not quick, but enough to move out of its own way.  See Irish's build!  The later year Troopers came with much better engines, and certain years the 3.2/3.5 automatic only has the same bolt-pattern as the GM 3800 which makes for an easy swap.

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/515233.html

11/21/20 6:41 p.m.
engiekev said:
Carsandbikes said:

The montero V6 2-door is the answer to this problem, defintely not quick, but enough to move out of its own way.  See Irish's build!  The later year Troopers came with much better engines, and certain years the 3.2/3.5 automatic only has the same bolt-pattern as the GM 3800 which makes for an easy swap.

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/515233.html

Yeah, I have no complaints. It's not a rocket ship, but with the V6, 5MT and not-giant tires (31s) it moves pretty well. Then again, my other crusing car is a stock-engine Porsche 924S, so I have low standards for outright acceleration haha.

I only posted the Trooper (knowning the engine is a bit of a lump) because a 2-door Monty in that condition likely runs about double the price these days (and they're going up quick). I have no idea what engines can be swapped into these Troopers, but isn't it a GM engine? So figured maybe some better GM engines may use the same bellhousing pattern (or not, no idea). 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
11/22/20 6:21 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I don't usually consider myself to be a speed demon, but I got stuck behind one of these twice on my way to work years ago...I nearly rear ended it both times because it took so long to get moving.

A 2 door Montero " lived " a few blocks from me when I lived in Memphis, but I never saw it move.  I figured the engine had died.

11/22/20 9:19 p.m.
Carsandbikes said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

I don't usually consider myself to be a speed demon, but I got stuck behind one of these twice on my way to work years ago...I nearly rear ended it both times because it took so long to get moving.

A 2 door Montero " lived " a few blocks from me when I lived in Memphis, but I never saw it move.  I figured the engine had died.

I mean, the Montero carb'd 4-banger is probably quite slow, especially automatics. The V6, especially with the MT, gets up and goes pretty well. I've even pulled off a few passes on country highways here and there :) Yeah, from being around the forums it seems a lot of Monteros liked to blow head gaskets thanks to poor cooling maintenance. I'm pretty religious about making sure mine stays cool!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
urBC20DGKyHm7EHgD7ms9pzmyWvRAJJnMsAE4LcireIcgDljDBX8R1w88cCguNIG