1 2
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/20 7:38 a.m.

Yes, there were several sets of spare wheels for the car, all appear to be Datsun sourced as he had several sets for autocross.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/11/20 2:35 p.m.

I got to see the GT autocross for many years.  It was enjoyed the way any sports car should be.  I'm sad that Alex had to part with it, but very glad it found a good home.  Good luck to both the buyer and seller.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/11/20 3:58 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) :

As Linda's health has deteriorated that reduced the fun & the finances. Life goes on, until it doesn't.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/11/20 5:24 p.m.

We got into the GT today, drained the old gas, went through the engine, new oil, gas, antifreeze. Discovered the fuel pump is not working, no surprise there, these old MG's were notorious for the fuel pumps failing. I pulled the pump, won't work connected directly to the battery, so will need to see if it can be rebuilt or get a new pump. 

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/14/20 9:58 a.m.

First, disassemble the cover & file the points. I'm assuming it doesn't click. If they're burnt you may need to replace tyhem which isn't too difficult & is significantly cheaper.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/14/20 10:14 a.m.

Thanks, will check that over lunch :-) 

Been a while since I had worked on an MGB, forgot about that.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
11/29/20 11:17 a.m.

Alex can you give us some information on the engine you started rebuilding. Anything would be helpful, so can you tell me if the block was bored and new pistons/rings installed and what size (.010, .020), same with the crank and rod bearings? Would be good to know just to give us an idea of what we are looking at before we get too far into it.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
11/29/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Block was bored, .060 I believecrank was 0.010 I believe. It's been a while. Pistons, rods, mains & rod bolts are new. Chain is new, the cam is a parkerized regrind IIRC it should pull from 1800 to 6500. B engines are better built for torque than RPMs if you're not on the track. The flywheel was lightened as well. Plans called for a fairly quick streetable motor  & it wasn't going to be so radical that the wife couldn't drive it.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
11/29/20 5:10 p.m.

Thanks, this very helpful, much appreciated!

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
12/2/20 11:20 a.m.

Very nice that there staying local. Frederick here aswell (Thurmont) Eurotech Classics 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
12/2/20 1:52 p.m.

We should definitely chat sometime this month. Would be interested in learning more about what you can do as I have my own company (Cars of My Youth) and specialize in fun cars from the 60's through the 90's, mainly British but love all of them.

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
12/2/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

We have been a sports car shop in Frederick county for 18 years. We mainly do european cars, everything from parts to restoration and sales. My partner is also the co-host of Garage Rehab on Discovery Channel. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AMGcRwAOEvBsDzD2QtOwX7bT9rTLKZwPBlaPjOYPfHsQaLS0NEK1c1moS9quPEPn