1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/5/21 7:05 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Interesting, I did not know that. Off to do some research. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/21 11:20 a.m.
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/5/21 11:29 p.m.

Good Astro Forum

Not as nice as folks here but not bad. Lots of good info on the Astro / Safari vans

Mmusicman can be a bit of an azz, but he does know his stuff, has a V8 in one van, and also a nice lifted 4X4 one

Astros could be bought as AWD (full time) and converted over the 4WD w/low easy.

I have a 98 AWD I only have 325 in, with a good bill of sale, but I have not gotten a title for it, since I really bought it for parts... before deciding it's too nice to pull parts off and scrap

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/5/21 11:39 p.m.

98 AWD. Was told it runs. But needs a battery, a new fuel pump, and the tank put back in. He broke a plastic fitting putting a new pump in for some one. Got mad at parts store, cause they would not accept it as a return! Bought another, and broke the same plastic nipple. Gave up, and lady told him just to scrap it.

I bought it, and have never touched it. Leather interior is VERY dirty, but not torn up bad. (drivers seat a little, but I'd swap the drivers with one of the rear seats - 4 captains)

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/5/21 11:41 p.m.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/5/21 11:53 p.m.

I looked at the Astro's back in '85, new, and almost bought one. My dad did buy one in '86. Replaced it with another new in 92. I bought a 92 in 95, and have had several more, plus a half dozen friends with 'em.

Don't have as cool a look as a classic chevy van, but great trucks.

There are a lot of folks that know as much or more about them as me, but I know 'em right well.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:11 a.m.

My 99 RWD... warning - it don't look that nice anymore!

3950 lbs on the trailer axle, 1100 lbs in the van. 11mpg from VA to AL.

6000 lbs of camper and stuff. 6 mpg with that sail behind it, but has NO trouble doing as fast as everybody else on interstates. From AL, to N. TN, then IL; lost an electric fan (of 2, no mech.) and overheated on way from IL to TX. Started using more coolant, but ran same as before. Finished trip to TX, drove to work for 5 months. Hooked back up to camper and towed to MS. Drove to work for 3 months, and finally came home. Did intake gaskets since common problem when getting coolant in exhaust. Was not intake, so its a head gasket. Was gonna do an LT1, but never did. I KNOW a head gasket will do it., but it has gone a long way, as is! Book wants 8 hrs , or something silly, cause they pull the engine to do the heads. Book is wrong.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/6/21 7:27 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

That is really interesting. Thanks for the info. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/6/21 1:12 p.m.

I found a 50k mile Astro that I have fallen for. I need to move stuff to talk the wife into adding a vehicle. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Sigh... What are you thinking for the 2001 Triumph 955 in boxes? 

I tried to avoid this but curiosity is killing me. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/7/21 6:40 p.m.

For towing with an Astro I found that a set of those load leveling airbags on the rear springs were great. I pulled my race cars (VW GTI and SpecMiata) on an open trailer at any speed I wanted. I had two different Astros, the first had 250K on it when my son wrote it off, and the second had 257K when I traded it for a new truck. Dependable as gravity.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/7/21 8:25 p.m.

In reply to dan0 (Forum Supporter) :

I would be happy if someone gave me $600 for it. There will be more than enough to zero that if you are going challenge car. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/7/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Those are definitely on my radar. Check out my build thread for the intro to the new Astro van in the Slammer fleet. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/21 12:09 p.m.

Ugh I want the triumph and the dirt bike but distance is an issue currently.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/8/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I responded in the other thread but I can meet you part way. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/21 10:35 a.m.

Why won't this thread leave me alone? What were you thinking about for a number on the Hawk GT so I can get it out of my system?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/13/21 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Are you coming to get it or do I need to drag it somewhere? I would like $600 at my house. 

Mr. Lee
5/13/21 4:48 p.m.

I would be coming to get it.... Lemme play with some numbers. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
5/13/21 9:22 p.m.

Any idea what you want for that 250?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/13/21 10:18 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

That one is the closest to being actually working. For GRM $1k. It is not perfect but it is pretty good overall. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/21 8:30 a.m.

Man, you are a looong way away from me, but...any more details/price on the Tiger? Not cranking or crank but no start?

Mr. Lee
5/14/21 9:53 a.m.

So yeah... PM sent

Text reply will probably be fastest. I work on the phone all day. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/14/21 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E (Forum Supporter) :

It does nothing. No cranking. It has been a while since I messed with it but I am pretty sure that the dash comes one but I can't get it to do anything else. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/14/21 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

It didn't come through so I sent you a message. 

Mr. Lee
5/15/21 8:32 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

LOL didn't come through on my end either. Three 52 two seven eight 4097, or spinout007 at google mail.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YfGSql773WNVLVfqs36m6AArC2iJ2DKDUkGkiAonCtvwtr9eFq4DGK6UeJhYUNq7