1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
7/11/20 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Im down. See if he'll sell you two, I am not a smart man....

817. 893.    Seven6fortytwo

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/11/20 9:53 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Put the jag v12 in a miata?

Please don't waste a good Miata like that. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
7/11/20 10:45 p.m.

Stampie & Frenchy  should have a phone call & see if they can work out some details between them that are acceptable to both without all the noise in this thread. If they can great, if not,  well, it was a cool idea. I don't think many of us care who wins, whether they're, stock, modified, NA, forced, injected, engine dyno, track times, or whatever we just want to see something happen.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
7/12/20 7:15 a.m.

It's raining up here in Navan this morning. It gave me some time to read this tome - the first ten pages were entertaining, the last six, less so. On the plus side, thanks for providing the dimensions of the V12 Frenchy, I have a '79 Midget and a terrible idea brewing. Now where's my tape measure?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 8:37 a.m.
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I might know where a 2 door 2wd XJ roller is sitting next to my Caprice in the front yard...

The 2 door XJC is very rare. Especially here in the states. Please tell me more. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/12/20 9:17 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I might know where a 2 door 2wd XJ roller is sitting next to my Caprice in the front yard...

The 2 door XJC is very rare. Especially here in the states. Please tell me more. 

He's taking about a two door Jeep CHEROKEE XJ.  Not Jaguar.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 10:00 a.m.

I know where a running v12 xj coupe is with a lister body kit for way under challenge moneys.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Oops.  Here I was getting excited.  Thank you. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

The Jaguar Lister body kit is a nice touch.  How solid is the body?  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/20 11:04 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I know where a running v12 xj coupe is with a lister body kit for way under challenge moneys.

Say more 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 11:28 a.m.
yupididit said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Say more 

Yeah, xjs or xj coupe? Two very different things there.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Dunno.  Didn't know there was a difference.  It's a 2 door xj with a v12

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

There is a picture of XJS  above posted in  Cars of timeless beauty. 
But no one ever made a Lister body kit for the XJC 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/12/20 8:14 p.m.

Picked up some BBC parts that frenchy is scared of. Made this deal a couple months back before this discussion.

yupididit
7/12/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Wanna sell me those cheater cams you have? 

Stampie (FS)
7/12/20 9:26 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Do I see a Lister body kit XJS in your future?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 9:26 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Kinda depends on Stampie. 

Nothing that special.  Isky sells a lot of the XM 3 's.    they work decently with the Turbo 400 trans.  The XM 4 is really more for a manual transmission car.  The XM 5 really isn't good for anything except an extremely close ratio transmission  tiny 7 &1/4 triple disc clutch. just track racing up at 7000+  rpm 

But Piper in England has a much better set of cams. 

Stampie (FS)
7/12/20 9:40 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to yupididit :

Kinda depends on Stampie. 

Nothing that special.  Isky sells a lot of the XM 3 's.    they work decently with the Turbo 400 trans.  The XM 4 is really more for a manual transmission car.  The XM 5 really isn't good for anything except an extremely close ratio transmission  tiny 7 &1/4 triple disc clutch. just track racing up at 7000+  rpm 

But Piper in England has a much better set of cams. 

Nothing you do depends one single bit on me.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/12/20 9:52 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Listen to the valves on start up. If you hear tappets clatter be aware that is usually a sign the engine has been repeatedly overheated. What is happening is slowly one or more seats are loosening up. Dropping out of the head pulling the valve away from proper clearance. 
It doesn't happen with a single overheating just repeated overheating.*

Here are the common causes. 
LOW COOLANT. Probably because there are 2 radiator caps and the owner doesn't read the owners manual on how to check and fill the radiator. 
TRASH BETWEEN THE A/C  and the radiator. 
TIMING OFF  because the owner doesn't read the owners manual  and thus doesn't bother oiling the distributor. So the advance freezes. 

There is a free 600 page guide book to ownership. Offered by Kirby Palm. Free download.  Very worth your while. 

If you hear valve clatter on start up be aware pulling the heads is called for.  You do not want to drop a seat.  If that happens,  Really bad things are in your future.  

yupididit
7/12/20 11:19 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Possibly lol. Trying to beat your BBC in 2021 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 3:22 a.m.
yupididit said:
Trying to beat your BBC in 2021 

TeeHeeHee

Stampie (FS)
7/13/20 6:19 a.m.
yupididit said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

You'll have to try hard. My BBC doesn't just let anyone beat it. 

yupididit
7/13/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Uhh see uh yeah if the v12 gives me issues we'll probably see an LS or 2jzgte in it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/13/20 3:54 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to yupididit :

You'll have to try hard. My BBC doesn't just let anyone beat it. 

I don't know... I bet something small and Korean could. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/13/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

You'll find the cost of those is many times what it costs to fix the problem. 
 But it's your car. Have fun.  
If you want  to add performance. Read AJ6 engineering  site.  Anything about the V12. That guy is smart I think he worked at the factory. 
One thing he said is for street performance it's nearly impossible to beat the stock camshafts. In fact if anything it would be faster with less camshaft. 
If you want to race it. Rob Beere is the source for the best parts. But very expensive. 

You can do things without relying on Britain. 
Start with cold air intake.  The stock air inlet is too small for the engine. The factory did that so owners wouldn't hear the engine intake. Open up the end of both air cleaners and duct cold air in. That's 30 horsepower right there.. The stock mufflers hurt horsepower by more than 20 horsepower. Replace  them with straight pipes and you still have the resonators on the rear to keep the noise down. 
Stock the exhaust system is 2" if you go up.to 2&1/2 there is about 15 horsepower there. 
 Get rid of that big ugly heavy A/C compressor. Replace it with a little Sanyo  on the side. part of what it does is Air condition the fuel line because the compressor stops the air flow over the engine . You won't need that .   Toss that Bus sized alternator away. And replace it with a smaller one wire alternator. Dump the air pump too.  Plug the holes into the head and suddenly  the beauty of the engine starts to show. 
The factory did a lousy job of routing hoses wires and vacuum lines.  You'll likely need to replace all that. You can do a much neater job. 

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bGCxA4iJz4sYKYVFiXaHZ8q79sAdo9RpfQ2VaKMJ5zk6ckAZd8oksz6eWzQY4D4x