Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/20/22 3:02 p.m.

There's more info over on our sister site Classic Motorsports, but the gist is that the seller of 2004 BMW M3 had the intention of swapping the SMG for the OEM six-speed manual, but realized that wasn't going to happen, so the seller is parting ways with the car.

The M3 has been sitting since at least 2019 and is offered with a salvage title.

It's going up for auction on eBay Motors, and the highest bid at the time of writing is at $5601 with three days left.

Ready to build or restore | BMW E46 M3 project for sale

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
1/20/22 3:10 p.m.

That is an E46, but I digress.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/20/22 3:33 p.m.

I also thought the SMG was actually just a power-actuated shift linkage on the regular transmission, and the "swap" was just to remove that claptrap and install a clutch pedal.

I could be very wrong about that, however.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/20/22 3:37 p.m.

They did the swap on wheelers and dealers, I love this car, but the rebuilt title is unfortunate. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/20/22 3:47 p.m.
Duke said:

I also thought the SMG was actually just a power-actuated shift linkage on the regular transmission, and the "swap" was just to remove that claptrap and install a clutch pedal.

I could be very wrong about that, however.

I don't remember the specifics, but it also requires software and a clutch (possibly flywheel as well).  I think Wheeler Dealers spent somewhere around $2k or $3k excluding the labor.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/20/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Looks like I need to get a keyboard where the numbers aren't so darn close. Thank you for catching that.

Should be fixed now.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/24/22 12:09 p.m.

Went for $8200 - pretty much a steal!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ntUvlbQSF70cuB6Ob4vyTPW0idiLm4UFvx8ou5zAicMSqBS8qFzjjR3K5DmZ2JPn