Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/8/20 3:17 p.m.

This looks interesting if clean. I have some family local, and I'm only a couple of hours away. Buyer says it needs an upper ball joint, but I don't see that part listed anywhere. Maybe it uses a similar front suspension to my newly acquired 95 G20 5-speed. I've been told these have injector problems, so probably the source of the miss. Still cool, and perhaps worth the gamble. Maybe offer less?

96 Q45

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/20 4:56 p.m.

The ad says, "has a misfire."  This is code for bad knock sensor.  The part, knock sensor, in itself is simple.  Same part as the Maxima.  The problem is the knock sensor resides deep in the V of the V8.  To get to it requires the removal of air connections, fuel connections and electrical connection.  The problem is that this engine is no longer supported by Nissan/Infiniti and conventional wisdom is that you will break one of the 26 year old connectors in the process...and those parts are all no-longer-available.  There is a small following of owners but its really drying up.  

Said another way, a bad knock sensor is enough to take a still running Q45 off the road forever.  

Since this one is a '96 it is the last year of the Gen1 body ('90-'96) and it is the first year to have OBD2.  If anyone is interested, I recommend asking the seller if it is throwing a code for knock sensor.  

John, owner of 3 past Gen 1 Q45's.  I love 'em but I sold mine off last year.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/8/20 5:07 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The ad says, "has a misfire."  This is code for bad knock sensor.  The part, knock sensor, in itself is simple.  Same part as the Maxima.  The problem is the knock sensor resides deep in the V of the V8.  To get to it requires the removal of air connections, fuel connections and electrical connection.  The problem is that this engine is no longer supported by Nissan/Infiniti and conventional wisdom is that you will break one of the 26 year old connectors in the process...and those parts are all no-longer-available.  There is a small following of owners but its really drying up.  

Said another way, a bad knock sensor is enough to take a still running Q45 off the road forever.  

Since this one is a '96 it is the last year of the Gen1 body ('90-'96) and it is the first year to have OBD2.  If anyone is interested, I recommend asking the seller if it is throwing a code for knock sensor.  

John, owner of 3 past Gen 1 Q45's.  I love 'em but I sold mine off last year.  

So in other words, not worth buying? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/20 5:14 p.m.

Sub-$2k Infiniti Q45s are on the market every day.  I would hold out for one with lower miles and maybe better condition.  The Gen2's of '97-2001 ad just a 4.1L engine so slower but really nice drivers.  The '02 and newer are nice drivers too and more supported (just barely.)  

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/8/20 5:48 p.m.

I had a 96 with an odd fueling issue. I got it for $200 and sold it for $500. I've seen it twice while driving by autozone. When it ran right it was surprisingly quick. The stereo was great and it was very comfortable. Working on it sucked and a lot of the parts are nla. I'd pass. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/20 7:03 p.m.

Price is now dropped to $1100...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/8/20 7:05 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Price is now dropped to $1100...

I think it was $1100 when I saw it. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/8/20 8:01 p.m.

I'm still holding my breath for a first gen M45 in a color other than white, grey or beigey brown. My face is turning purple.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
12/8/20 8:02 p.m.
chandler said:

I'm still holding my breath for a first gen M45 in a color other than white, grey or beigey brown. My face is turning purple.

I'd prefer white. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/20 8:10 p.m.

I don't care about the color. I just want the drivetrain in a lighter chassis. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/20 10:06 p.m.
chandler said:

2004 M45 in navy blue with black interior with dark wood and only 88k asking $5.5k in Long Island NY

Mint Green in Columbia SC, no key, at a Pull-A-Part $2.4k.  Could a dealership cut a key off VIN???

Black drifto in Indy

Attractive, stock looking black in NJ

Red w/ 68k miles in NC

Copart stickers so this is someones flip and probably salvaged for just a headlight...black in Memphis

red in Marietta , GA looks great.  126k is good. Price has move from $5,900 to $5,200.  Move it down another $1k and could be good

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qGIiXHae4WR67vq72M2Mz6oxyho2vO2Clan4AHxIngWVyTEtuip5ehSX3yuRy6zl