Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 6:03 p.m.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Volvo-V70-R/113998365979?hash=item1a8ad5051b:g:GsgAAOSwEX1dwBwY

You too can be as cool or cooler than Woody's dog!

This is a P2R meaning it has the 300hp megaBOOOST engine.  5 speed automatic, so it's torque limited in the first two gears, but having lived with an non-limited 6sp S60R, you won't miss it at the lower speeds, the engine outaccelerates the turbo at low speeds anyway.

But who cares?  It's not a boy racer car.  It's more refined and genteel than that.  It's when you want to have an STi or Evo X, but you also want a wagon, and you want creature comforts, and you want the enraged Wookiee howl of a 5 cylinder engine getting force fed fifteen pounds of boost by a KKK turbocharger larger than the one in an Audi RS2.  And look at those brakes.  Those are 330mm rotors with Brembo calipers at all four corners.   And the suspension is all aluminum except for the bolts and the hubs.  And the shocks and struts!  The active handling is MAGIC on these cars.  And you're allowed to play with the settings manually, and you're allowed to play with the stability control to be all-in, or ABS-only (no power cuts), or fully defeated.

Bidding right now is only $3000.  An '07 recently sold on BaT for $25k.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/19 6:26 p.m.

Not affiliated?? It’s like you’re the marketing dept for this seller. Makes me kinda want one!

Knurled.
12/8/19 6:33 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Not affiliated?? It’s like you’re the marketing dept for this seller. Makes me kinda want one!

Srsly, not affiliated, I saw it linked in Swedespeed's R section.

I cannot express how thoroughly awesome my S60R (sedan, short wheelbase version) is to live with, even after 40,000mi of ownership.  It's all upsides and no downsides, except maybe for fuel economy, but it's a 3800lb tank with a 8.5:1 compression engine and it MAKES THE COOLEST NOISES when you push the skinny pedal.  Also the turning radius sucks because big fat tires and a transverse 5 cylinder don't coexist too well, even though the car is wide as a bus.  But you forget that when you dip into the throttle and the K24-7400 turbo does the "Dthww...WSSSHHHHH" thing (just like the Ruf CTR in the "Faszination" video) and you accelerate the hell away from your doubts and life's troubles.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/19 6:51 p.m.

Does it have the built in dog screen?

Woody
12/8/19 6:52 p.m.

273,000 miles?! Yikes!

Woody
12/8/19 6:56 p.m.

You’re not gonna be cooler than my dog in a car with 273,000 miles on it. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/19 6:56 p.m.

It seems to be located in Boyce, Virginia, United States. The auto check included in the listing shows it last registered a couple years ago.

Knurled.
12/8/19 7:00 p.m.
Woody said:

273,000 miles?! Yikes!

That's nothin' to a P2.

My car has 223k and no interior rattles to speak of.  Doesn't burn oil, either.

Woody
12/8/19 7:18 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Woody said:

273,000 miles?! Yikes!

That's nothin' to a P2.

My car has 223k and no interior rattles to speak of.  Doesn't burn oil, either.

The dog said that she’s happy to trade 55hp for 162,000 fewer miles. 

And ride in a better looking car. 

Knurled.
12/8/19 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Ah, but your dog's car is not for sale,yeah?  So we other people have to take what we can get.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/8/19 10:23 p.m.

I feel like it's a slam dunk for me at $2400.. and local, which it isn't. Curious to see what it goes for, though!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/9/19 7:14 a.m.

Doesn’t look like it has any bids so it may not sell.  

The back seats have seen some hard use.  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/9/19 7:40 a.m.

NMNA, I see your high mileage V70R and counter with a slightly lower mile V70R that may or may not be a real ad.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/9/19 9:45 p.m.

Didn't get a single bid at 3000, seller relists for 3000. Like i said, a definite yes at $2400. wink

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
12/13/19 9:33 a.m.

In the search for a nice 6 speed example of one of these. I have always wanted one but never pulled the trigger and now they are getting harder to find. Currently a 6 speed on BAT and curious how much it will go for.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/19 7:37 a.m.

FWD not AWD right?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/14/19 7:38 a.m.

V70r are all AWD. 

Knurled.
12/15/19 6:07 a.m.
westsidetalon said:

In the search for a nice 6 speed example of one of these. I have always wanted one but never pulled the trigger and now they are getting harder to find. Currently a 6 speed on BAT and curious how much it will go for.

6 speed auto or manual?  They did it both ways.

Personally the auto is preferable, because it's a two ton car with drive by wire and a practically inaudible engine, so they would be really tedious to drive with a manual transmission.  Also the 6 speed auto vehicles had the beefier drivetrain from the V8 SUVs, which makes it a win - the manual trans cars had the weaker bits dating back to the stone ages, and people have been able to break them with a clutch dump.  6 speed auto parts don't break, they just wear out.

Which is another reason why the 5 speed auto cars were torque limited in the lower, drivetrain-wrecking gears.  But again, unless you are the kind of person to stick Monster advertisements and Hoonigan stickers on your car, you wouldn't notice it.  The real fun of a P2R isn't 0-60 or doing donuts in a parking lot, it's serenely cruising along in comfort and discreet style, while also being able to accelerate 60-100 without thinking about it if you want to pass a zombie parking in the left lane.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
12/15/19 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

So there's a 5 and 6 speed auto? This would be my wife's car, she loves wagons and our latest e90 BMW auto trans just failed a few months back. This still seems to be the best bang for buck wagon out there.

Knurled.
12/15/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to westsidetalon :

'06-07 were six speed auto.  The lower production numbers make them harder to find than '04s, though.  (I think something silly like more than half of P2R production was '04)  There are other advantages to an 06-07 besides the transmission - all cars got a different rear diff and (IIRC) a larger rear sway bar, and there were some interior and exterior changes for '07 as well.

But to be honest they're all pretty sweet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lpLy09cNwIzNaKInTmSpGd5HGNAbD9Z6vLnpJGouHMotc90vnxWLkRHJ9zp3iKzu