1 2 3
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/19 6:14 a.m.

Jim’s widow would would like to sell his Vette, and hopes someone will bring it back to the Challenge. I’ve not been up to see it yet, but she sent me this pic from before it  got covered in random stuff after Jim shifted his focus back to the 911. 

Note that the engine is out of the car, but she said it’s assembled - I’m not sure if this is the “rebuilt” engine that was in the car(with .030 pistons in the .060 bores), and at some point he put the heads back on, or if this is a different engine he’d swapped for(but I didn’t think any of those deals came through).

While not pictured, the hood has been cut up above the wheels. Note there’s a yellow fiberglass hatch on the car in place of the original(and missing) glass hatch. 

The car is located in Madison, MS. Though I have the set of wheels & Nitto autox tires, plus a NIB carb & distributor down here in Biloxi. I can get them up to Madison to meet the buyer if needed, unless you’re stopping by here anyway. 

I hope to make it up in a couple weeks to get more current pics & details. Last time we spoke she’d not found the title. She understands that regardless of the title situation that the car isn’t worth much, but I’ll let anyone interested make an offer. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/19 6:49 a.m.

Porsche?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/19 7:42 a.m.
Woody said:

Porsche?

He was building a safari style 911 prior to his passing, if memory serves. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/19 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Oh, I know that already...

Pete Gossett
6/18/19 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I was told it would be for sale, but they wanted to be cautious about how they sold it. I presumed that meant they want to get close to what it’s worth, which of course is complicated by its disassembled state. If you’re interested, I can ask for more details?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
6/18/19 10:57 a.m.

I have no desire to own another C4, but Jim was always kind to me and was a great guy.  

Please share more details one you have them.  

@Stampie, interested in a joint GRM challenge project?  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/18/19 11:17 a.m.
NordicSaab said:

I have no desire to own another C4, but Jim was always kind to me and was a great guy.  

If this becomes a parking lot build effort, I could be convinced to help turn a wrench on it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/18/19 11:27 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:
NordicSaab said:

If this becomes a parking lot build effort, I could be convinced to help turn a wrench on it.

Same here if it's this year and I make it.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/19 11:28 a.m.
NordicSaab said:

I have a $150 SBC I could Stampie Rule for the project. I won't have time before Challenge but parking lot build sounds cool. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
6/18/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Alot would depend on the level of deconstruction.  Let's wait for more details.  I could do a 24 hour turn and burn to pick it up.  

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/18/19 11:41 a.m.

I might be interested, but don't want to offend with a low ball offer.  Pete if you can give me an idea of what a fair offer would be, I could consider picking it up.  I'm from NW MS and have family there so I can make it work.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/19 11:45 a.m.

George, coming from someone who considered Jim a friend, it’s a hacked up c4 with the engine out and probably no title, there’s no such thing as a lowball offer

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/19 11:57 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Jim wouldn't get offended.  berkeleyer is probably laughing at us for still talking about his POS C4. And I mean that in a good way. 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/18/19 12:00 p.m.

I Havetalked to Jim at Legnth about this car, as Pete said I don't think any engine deal came through, also He wanted to Rebuild the Trans. but Can't remember the Details,  I have an engine from an 84 c4 that I offered him and pete had giving me a rebuild kit and I had enough to build mine or his, still do also have a good hood from an 85 and hatch.

Jim gave 500 bucks for the car and added pride and love thats priceless, bid accordenly.

if someone buy's it and proves to me they can and will get it to 2020 challenge, I will GIVE what i Have to make it go.

It was all there though  he took it apart to make it 'Mo Better, and go through it.

Pete Gossett
6/18/19 12:59 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

He paid $400 for it, and got it running for the Challenge in 2016 with minimal parts/work - I know he’d replaced the water pump with a reverse-rotation(or was it standard-rotation) one, and some other relatively minor work. 

At one point post-Challenge he thought the transmission was slipping, but I believe it either turned out to be something simple or a non-issue. 

The tires are 3-years old & have seen several events plus street miles, so they’re not worth much, nor are the wheels they’re on. As I told his widow, I certainly don’t think it’s worth more than he paid for it, in its current state, unless there’s boxes of parts with it and/or another engine, which I don’t believe there is. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/19 2:08 p.m.

Bolus & Snopes Memorial Parking Lot Build?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/19 2:51 p.m.

I'm in. I just spent all my challenge money on a bicycle anyhow, and swmbo 2.0 is heavy to going. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/18/19 3:00 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

In

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/18/19 7:01 p.m.

Regardless of what all it may take to get it running in a PLB, I would really Rather see it run all day and not sit smoking on the side of the track, fix It,   Do the B&S graphix In the Lot and have Everyone Sign it.

Then  do A 1 lap or something and send it around the Country to Different Shows NEXT summer  like An ugly sister to JG's c6 or "Where in the World Is B&S with Conrad the Cone Voice over. That is G R M.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/19 7:31 p.m.

if it goes on tour in the future i’m in to babysit it for a couple weeks

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

You still have that hella big wing I gave you?

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/18/19 8:33 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to minivan_racer :

He paid $400 for it, and got it running for the Challenge in 2016 with minimal parts/work - I know he’d replaced the water pump with a reverse-rotation(or was it standard-rotation) one, and some other relatively minor work. 

At one point post-Challenge he thought the transmission was slipping, but I believe it either turned out to be something simple or a non-issue. 

The tires are 3-years old & have seen several events plus street miles, so they’re not worth much, nor are the wheels they’re on. As I told his widow, I certainly don’t think it’s worth more than he paid for it, in its current state, unless there’s boxes of parts with it and/or another engine, which I don’t believe there is. 

Ok, let me see what I can put together then.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
6/19/19 6:32 a.m.
Robbie said:
maschinenbau said:

In

Also in.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/19/19 9:11 a.m.

A  GO FUND B&S vette project,  someone pick it up, EVERYONE send info on what they can do and a time frame for Repairs can be Arranged so it won't interfere with what you are building now, A 2020 build, if you have a trailer and can move it like A Stampie in the Night, love Ya stampie, then send that info,

If someon can give a hand I can do the engine here, Pete Gave me a Rebuild kit for a 350, Someone borrowed my Dinglball hone years ago so that is about all I need to build one. and have an 84 i can Get Started on if it happens,  or if someone else Has some 'Better than Stock' Parts they think we should use, I'll send it to Ya.

there is a c4 trans on CL for 150. if another is needed, 

i also have any body parts it might Need.       In Black.

i'll pick up a gallon of paint, Mikie Can Paint it.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/19/19 9:22 a.m.

heck it's only A 2000 dollar challenge, we can raise that today.

if they would accept 500 or so That will leave plenty to work with,  for better parts, I'll give my stuff to the project, maybe some can be Diverted to help those with trailers move it around, It's not always easy to drop a hundred on Gas.

With some pushing it could go this year, but everybody has Projects too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nklLZx7jhDSJ0kuWuexDaGYFFU0FxVDlirO5YMg25D5hKuCSiAIEPPO1ck9IMNGm