GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/9/21 10:01 p.m.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/d/severance-1971-amc-javelin-401-sst-speed/7294574691.html

I'm gonna lay this out right now- I haven't contacted them, and being up for 3 weeks can mean some things. But I really, REALLY want that Copper '72 and I can trust people here, youknowwhatimsayin

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/9/21 10:03 p.m.

Man, I love those wheel arches that Javelin's have.  So sexy.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/21 11:42 p.m.

Those look like a solid deal. Missing some big money parts though.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 2:03 a.m.

Okay so upon further review, that 71 is a really really early one. First month built! A 401/4-speed non-AMX is going to be rare as hen's teeth. It's going to need a metric boatload of money to restore though, the core support is whacked hard on it and those are a pain on these unibody cars. Not to mention no engine or trans and the interior is completely shot.

The copper 72 is okay ish. It's pretty rusty and also has a trashed interior. That said, dump the 3-speed and hang a Tremec back there, resto mod the interior, and make a killer pro touring car.

I'm not sold on the price though, that's pretty steep for two project shells essentially.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 6:28 a.m.

What is that red car in the background? Mitsubishi 3000 GT?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 6:31 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I think so, but it might have an aftermarket front end?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/21 6:31 a.m.

The red car looks like a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 9:03 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I think so, but it might have an aftermarket front end?

Nope, that's the factory nose on the VR-4 from the last year or two of production. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/10/21 4:16 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Okay so upon further review, that 71 is a really really early one. First month built! A 401/4-speed non-AMX is going to be rare as hen's teeth. It's going to need a metric boatload of money to restore though, the core support is whacked hard on it and those are a pain on these unibody cars. Not to mention no engine or trans and the interior is completely shot.

The copper 72 is okay ish. It's pretty rusty and also has a trashed interior. That said, dump the 3-speed and hang a Tremec back there, resto mod the interior, and make a killer pro touring car.

I'm not sold on the price though, that's pretty steep for two project shells essentially.

I was thinking the same thing about the cost. Do you think the copper one is worth saving as something kind of Mad-Maxed out?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 5:57 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Not really. Crusty big body Javelins are still pretty darn cheap. I'd pay maybe $1000 for that one if it ran.

The big thing keeping prices down are that nice ones are so cheap. $6-7K gets you a nice car that's like a base model or SST with a 304, so why pay a bunch for a thrashed one just because it's a 360? Especially when 360's themselves are so cheap?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/21 6:26 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I think so, but it might have an aftermarket front end?

Nope, that's the factory nose on the VR-4 from the last year or two of production. 

'99 VR-4

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/10/21 6:41 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Not really. Crusty big body Javelins are still pretty darn cheap. I'd pay maybe $1000 for that one if it ran.

The big thing keeping prices down are that nice ones are so cheap. $6-7K gets you a nice car that's like a base model or SST with a 304, so why pay a bunch for a thrashed one just because it's a 360? Especially when 360's themselves are so cheap?

Seriously? Where the hell are those? This is one of the first manual Jav's I've seen in the midwest in months.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/21 12:03 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

The 71 is a 4-speed, and if the trans was with it we'd be singing a slightly different tune. The 72 is a 3-speed, and they share basically nothing with the better brethren (and could still come on the column) and swapping modern manuals in those is harder than starting with an auto car.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/11/21 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Really? If you have time, why are the 3-speeds so hard to convert? I was hoping to do one of them instead of something rare.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

All the off the shelf away stuff was designed for the T-10 4-speed or Torque Flite cars. If you don't mind fabrication, the 3-speed is fine too start from for the pedals at least. Make sure it's not column shift though or you'll need a 4-speed or floor shift auto column and those are getting pricey. If you can snag that 72 for $1500 or less I think it'd be a decent starting point.

As a data point, my old 73 360/727 Javelin is for sale for $7K with no takers for months. And it has a restored interior, very little rust, and is a factory 4bbl/dual exhaust/Trans Am Championship edition car.

Our Preferred Partners
bCRwMAiKTGkZGBXWvKixyc1b4NDjLewLMkgNKlGilDRPUgz0Zc1FD3a05NVX7J8Q