EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 8:43 p.m.

Another car is coming into my fleet and something needs to go. 

My troubles on this car have been documented here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/r53-mini-troubleshooting/180219/page1/

I still have not figured out the issue. It still seems like it is running lean but I have no idea why. I have a new DME but have not programmed it to try it.

New cam and crank sensors.
New 02 sensor.
New seal for supercharger inlet duct, smoke tested multiple times but no leaks detected.
New supercharger bypass valve. 
Timing checked and it is good. 
Aftermarket (ebay) SS header and exhaust but it has an aftermarket cat that is terribly installed and has lots of leaks around the flanges. 

Starts, idles terrible, will not drive. Body is in decent shape but rust bubbling around taillights. 

Rebuilt title.

Listing it for what I have in it with purchase and parts. Could probably part it out for more but trying to avoid that. 

$1100, Columbus Ohio.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/21 6:50 p.m.

Looks nice and if I didn't already have a new project I would come and see it in person. 

What new project is this making room for??

EvanB
8/20/21 7:04 p.m.

In reply to stan :

Something with a flat four engine and a turbo, and hopefully not much of a project.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/26/21 8:37 a.m.

consider small trailer and I would add cash?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/21 11:46 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

consider small trailer and I would add cash?

Pictures of the trailer? (My son is looking for one and maybe you, me and Evan can work out something..) -thanks

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/26/21 11:58 a.m.

Wouldn't want to part with those aero side skirts would you?  They would look good painted pure silver on mine

EvanB
8/26/21 12:41 p.m.

I'll have to pass on the trailer, keeping my car trailer registered and maintained is enough for me. 

I'm leaning toward parting it out so I'll let you know about the aero skirts, the passenger has a small crack that would need to be repaired. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/26/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Ok sounds good

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/26/21 12:52 p.m.

I would love this for a second kid car project.  One at a time for me though, once the BMW is running on all six I'll be interested.

Sounds like these are very sensitive to exhaust leaks and sensors.

EvanB
8/26/21 12:56 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

After starting it up and moving it a few times it has popped up a code again for the o2 heater circuit. My plan was to weld up a test pipe with some flanges just to get rid of the leaks in the aftermarket cat that was bodged in and try to trace all the o2 wiring. 

The Forester XT I just bought is currently in the garage space though and takes priority. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/26/21 2:55 p.m.

Ooooo an XT, there are a couple really nice looking ones around me with just the right stance.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/21 2:32 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I sent you a PM, but maybe it didn't go through. Send me your email address. I know someone who may be interested.

Milansworkshop
Milansworkshop
8/29/21 7:39 a.m.

I'm very interested. Would like to come get it from you.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/29/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Even though Milansworkshop only has one post I'll vouch for Milan being legit. I've met him and bought MINI parts from him. Good dude.

EvanB
8/29/21 8:33 p.m.

Just got home from being away all weekend, all messages should now be replied to. 

EvanB
8/30/21 12:15 p.m.
Milansworkshop said:

I'm very interested. Would like to come get it from you.

I sent you a message yesterday, let me know if you didn't get it and I'll try again.

EvanB
10/4/21 10:31 a.m.

Bumping this up. It is now going to be a full part out. I will be traveling this weekend but after that plan on starting the disassembly. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
10/10/21 9:02 a.m.

Sending you a message now. Need a good Challenge car and I think this could be it?

EvanB
10/11/21 10:29 a.m.

Nothing came through. I'm set on parting out now since I have a $3700 vet bill to pay and it is worth much more in parts. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/11/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

PM sent regarding possible parts interest.

EvanB
10/11/21 1:54 p.m.

Nothing came through, maybe it's a problem with my email? I haven't had issues with PMs before. 

Try sending to earthur11 at the mail by g00gle. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/11/21 3:47 p.m.
EvanB said:

Nothing came through, maybe it's a problem with my email? I haven't had issues with PMs before. 

Try sending to earthur11 at the mail by g00gle. 

Looks like I jumped the gun. If it's an aftermarket cat I can't use it.  Apparently, no company has made a cat that works in the R50/53 without causing issues. Which is annoying because the OEM one is really expensive.

EvanB
10/11/21 5:06 p.m.

Yea you don't want this cat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnBNM3JQxf1gswlkDZwA6Bn2pRNFraIIMuBR3RCZZKDlXZXPx3fxJgz4VfX7eYod