JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/27/14 11:04 p.m.

NMNA Thought about it for myself. Just don't need another one at the moment...

2004 Mazda RX-8 6 Speed Manual - $2500

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4491535698.html

"I'm purchasing a car this weekend so this car needs to be sold by Saturday the 31st or I'm trading it in. This is priced to sell quick and is a steal at $2500.00 cash only and non negotiable. Car has 134K miles on it, with new engine put in at 49K miles. Has been in an accident in 2008 and has a couple of dings/dents on the front fenders were someone hit it in a parking lot. A couple of cosmetic items in inside but over all good condition. I drive this car everyday and it runs good. I'm sure there are some things that can be done to it from a tune up stand point but there are no major issues that I'm aware of. Two back tires are in very good shape will need two front ones soon. 6 speed manual, power windows, CD Player air and heat work. Call for more questions."

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/29/14 9:12 a.m.

..and the ad is still alive. Are these things that unreliable in the engine department?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/29/14 9:20 a.m.

Can someone tell me what the worst possible scenario is here if i go get this thing? At that price, it seems like there's very little risk of really getting screwed.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/14 9:21 a.m.

No, but perception is a bitch to resale. Depressing that I paid $9k for one 3 years ago.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/29/14 10:12 a.m.

I'm trying to decide which would use less gas... driving the truck/trailer down to it, or flying in and driving it home.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/29/14 12:07 p.m.

I don't even like them and that one's got me going.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
5/29/14 12:13 p.m.

Hell yes!!

Josh I'm coming for you in Rally-x next year!!

Lol I wish I could.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
5/29/14 10:13 p.m.

Isnt that insanely low priced for an RX8?

EDT
EDT New Reader
5/30/14 4:20 a.m.

FYI, it looks like he doesn't respond to emails. I sent him one a couple day ago that he hasn't gotten back to me on.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/30/14 6:29 a.m.

Says call for more questions, and then doesn't provide a number.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
5/30/14 6:48 a.m.

It probably sold the first day and the seller doesn't know how to the remove the ad.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/2/14 9:55 a.m.

and no sunroof!?! I CAN HAS HEAD ROOM??? this is tempting.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/2/14 11:03 a.m.

So what kind of transmission case swappy-ness can you do to keep the 6 speed but plop in a different engine? Say a Duratec/MZR?

JSP
JSP New Reader
6/4/14 10:23 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Can someone tell me what the worst possible scenario is here if i go get this thing? At that price, it seems like there's very little risk of really getting screwed.

So a test drive should be a good shake down on most of it. I'd make sure it will start easily while hot. These engines even when cared for fairly well typically get tired around 90k-100k. I.E. low compression. The housings get worn and compression drops and a symptom of an issue is that it won't start well when hot. It's cheap for a reason. I suspect he knows the engine is on the way out, and compensated for it by using more premix in the fuel to help drive compression up. Assuming that, and assuming the condition of the rest of the car is in good-excellent shape, that's a decent price. If you have the patience and skill to do an engine swap yourself, the risk really is fairly low. Worst case you need to do an engine replacement and some ancillary pieces as well.

I bought one a little over a year ago with a not functioning engine from a dealer in VA for about $2700 shipped to my door. I managed to get it running well enough to do a shake down. The AC doesn't work on it and 2nd gear synchros were pretty messed up. Otherwise aside from being very dirty the car was in pretty good shape. I have a bunch of little dings to pop out on it (which I can do myself). There are a few cosmetic items that could use some work. The previous owners were hacks and didn't have a clue, so I have a bunch of stuff to fix that are all fairly small. I rebuilt the trans over the winter, and I'm waiting for my BMW to sell before I buy an engine to get it up and running again. With a fresh engine these things should be a fairly easy sell at 6k-7k. I'm doing a mild prep on mine for SCCA STX so by the time I'm done I'll probably have closer to 10k in it.

Anyway from his post, this is probably too late anyway.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
6/8/14 3:55 p.m.

If I saw this a on the 27th, I would have been very tempted. I also have found out that sellers that only leave a craigslist e-mail don't really want to communicate to make a sell compared to sellers that post their phone number. I can't believe that the ad is still active too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AOEOBTHuxS5X328FkyB2NE7zTmIAn0w0dV10h1zMu3aVMPiDjbeyOiRAzFeZUTTP