jsymonds
jsymonds Reader
4/30/19 8:05 p.m.

"Cracked VANOS housing"...not sure how one manages that. Automatic, 0-post seller, but...$500!

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1253689

jsymonds
jsymonds Reader
4/30/19 8:06 p.m.

Appears to be a sport package from the wheel and seats, too. The interior is probably worth that alone (...please let me know if I can have the driver's seat if you buy it)

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/30/19 8:17 p.m.
jsymonds said:

"Cracked VANOS housing"...not sure how one manages that. Automatic, 0-post seller, but...$500!

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1253689

Ad says "new vanos solenoid ring"...maybe installed with a hammer, sledge type?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/19 8:25 p.m.

That is way too close to me. Sounds enticing as a fix and flip.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/19 8:43 p.m.

Uh.... what were the rust issues on these cars?

Around here, E46es have gotten really common in the self-service junkyards.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/19 9:18 p.m.

Rear subframes can have issues, and many in the Northeast tend to rust above and around the rear wheelwells.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/19 9:40 p.m.

Ah, good to know. I can probably find one locally for a price that that would make up for the trailer rental, hours driving and gasoline.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
5/1/19 11:00 a.m.

This "cracked VANOS housing" sounded strange enough that I googled it.  Apparently, people use that housing as a pivot point to try to pry off sticky valve covers/valve cover gaskets.  Seems like a terrible idea.  If the guy properly installed all the parts he lists, then he did most of the work to address the usual service/failure points (PCV swap, PS hoses, intake boot, transmission filter, fluid, oil filter housing gasket) which if done *properly* would be worth something, since unless you pay the $$$ for a maintained/refreshed car you'd be doing the work yourself.  Emphasis on *IF* done properly.

Car seems clean, from pics no visible rust on the real wheel arches, a pretty typical spot.  If the subframe mounts are in really, really bad shape you can sometimes -not always- see with the car on jackstands, but the only way to definitively know the subframe mount points are NOT an issue is to get the car in the air and drop the subframe.   If no metal bits got into the oily bits, a JY used vanos unit or even a fresh used one from Dr. Vanos, is an easy way to get back on the road and into a quick flip. 

There is at least $500 in parts in that car, plus scrap value, so if someone has the space and time it may not be a bad gamble.  Offer $250 and gastropod it?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/2/19 8:04 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Uh.... what were the rust issues on these cars?

As a data point, I live about 100 miles east of that location in Delaware where they brine the roads at every forecast of flurries.  My 2003 325i spent 3 years in upstate NJ before I bought it, and then the next 11 years parked outside.  It was my all-season daily driver.  It had no known body rust and even all the fasteners underneath were reasonably clean when I sold it in 2017.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I2DBY8vnhSBev7oDLDybfsQuJ6KKekOoWLhG2Y0KBXMO41y4bKsehQhBUeadMH2W