1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/23/20 6:15 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

... finishing it for THIS YEAR'S Challenge! Nobody can do that!

That's bold considering Nonak is in this thread...

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

I've already dared him (and contacted him directly!)

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/20 6:37 a.m.

I did not need to see this. I have too many projects already.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/23/20 6:55 a.m.

Hey guys...

I didn't say anything about finishing it for THIS YEAR'S Challenge!  Nobody can do that!

But they build a car in 60 minutes/5 days on the tube. We've all seen the shows.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 6:59 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:
Snowdoggie said:

The sane thing to do would be to find a Renault engine and transmission and make it into a close to stock vintage racer. At least nobody would care that most of the interior is long gone.

You could probably fit a boosted Renault engine from a Renault 5/LeCar back there in case one craves more deathtrap.

Would that bolt to the original transmission? 

Not sure how interchangeable the R5 and R16 transmissions are.

Love to see the rules that Paul put around this. 

I think it will take a team of builders to get to the challenge, even for 2021.

Good luck you crazy bastards-Challenge glory awaits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/23/20 9:09 a.m.

Challenge budget question- if one were to accept the currently offered deal, is that:

A) A $900 Avalon, a free Europa, and a free Stampie Lotus package (recoup from Avalon only) or

B) A $900 complete lot consisting of all of the above (recoup from all parts stashes and cars) or

C) Something in between?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/23/20 9:10 a.m.

I mean, even if you don't use the other engine thats involved with this.  I have another Zetec on the engine stand, some old motorcycle carbs and all that.  Just saying..... :)

gumby (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 9:13 a.m.

Under current precedent, I see a free Europa, and a $900 Avalon on separate receipts. The Avalon can be left out of the budget completely if one so chose.

Stampie's lot has been offered publicly at this point. It is free also.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. 

Free with zero recoup is budget better than $900 with $900 recoup. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 9:24 a.m.
RossD said:

i have a bunch of Renault 8 parts free for the taking. Swing arm trans axle, 1108cc , ...

I think RossD's above post has been overlooked. Assuming he's got the Europa trans, that solves all the rear end issues. Add his 1108 cc, and you are on your way to a free car. 

I don't know what Stampie has, but he hasn't said Europa. I know he had Elite parts (very few of which would help)

But between Stampie, RossD and me, there is a lot of free Lotus there!

The Avalon is just a bit of death cart fun, or a part-out money maker. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 9:33 a.m.

I see the Europa and Avalon as being done either way.  You can do both on one receipt for $900 if you plan on using the Avalon or do it as Europa free and Avalon $900 if you don't plan on using the Avalon.  The first method gives you recoup ability on the Europa.  My stash would be separate as a free lot but you could trade parts from it for needed items.

Stampie (FS)
9/23/20 9:34 a.m.

I don't know what Stampie has, but he hasn't said Europa. I know he had Elite parts (very few of which would help)

My idea takes imagination.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I like your imagination. I'm trying to help others who are apparently imagining a big pile of Europa parts. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/23/20 9:47 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

All the dead Europas in the world wouldn't make a big pile of Europa parts, they're pretty small. cheeky

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 10:21 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I see the Europa and Avalon as being done either way.  You can do both on one receipt for $900 if you plan on using the Avalon or do it as Europa free and Avalon $900 if you don't plan on using the Avalon.  The first method gives you recoup ability on the Europa.  My stash would be separate as a free lot but you could trade parts from it for needed items.

There's challenge math, and there's shady "challenge math" stampie.  

I don't care for your  "here's a $0 receipt for the challenge bits and here's a $900 receipt for the car you MUST buy to get the challenge parts free" logic, if that's the case it's one $900 deal because the europa doesn't happen without taking the toyota.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Me: (shows up at seller's house) I'll take the car. But I also want that broken bucket from your trash pile. Please write a receipt for a $1000 bucket and a $0 car. 

Seller: Um, whatever, I already knew you were nuts by buying this heap. 

Me: Challenge glory?

Point is, I agree, since you CANNOT take the lotus without paying for the avalon, you should not be able to separate receipts. This is really a FREE Europa, but there is $900 of recoup used. 

Edit: now that I think about it, it sorta questions any transactions done with separate receipts, which I will admit I have done. So, I guess my stance is really more of don't be a dick.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/23/20 10:29 a.m.
Stampie (FS)
9/23/20 10:38 a.m.

But what about Travis where he says he might use the Avalon by itself as a death kart?  I agree with both of you but also could see a case where it legitimately could be separate.  In this case personally I'd lowball the seller.  Not my problem he didn't buy what I'd want to build it with.  Oh it's Paul.  Sorry.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Whoa! This is way overlooked. The ng3 gearbox from a fuego does two things-it lets you upgrade the ztec engine to beyond 200hp and lets you keep the existing suspension setup instead of getting involved in the asian land war that is upgrading the rear suspension on one of these. From an email exchange with Pete a while back:

For the build itself, I really think that a stronger transaxle is the key component. If you source a stronger transaxle it allows you to leave the suspension stock(ish) while getting the most out of any zetec swap. Internet lore says the NG3 from the turbo fuego was used in banks builds up to 260hp (see link below). 

http://gglotus.org/ggtech/europa-ultimate/ultieuropa.htm 

How to modify the NG3 to work in an un-molested europa:

http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/gearbox/gearbox.html

The critical path for a competitive europa probably includes finding a Turbo Fuego that you can zero out.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 10:44 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

now that I think about it, it sorta questions any transactions done with separate receipts, which I will admit I have done. So, I guess my stance is really more of don't be a dick.

This is why my view was prefaced with "current precedent."

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Agree with Robbie and Patrick. I see this as a $900 purchase of two cars, one of which you'll end up parting out to recoup the $900. 

I do think a europa build would be great for extensive trades. It's a tight knit community and everybody seems to have parts they have never used. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/23/20 10:59 a.m.

Why not just bring all the pieces to the Challenge and do a huge parking lot build. People could bring tools, welders, angle grinders, a big generator and more Europa parts.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 11:03 a.m.

I agree with all the dissenters, but that is not "current precedent". 

Lots of Challengers recently have been accomplished with separate receipts, including a couple top finishers. 

Im not a fan of that approach, but it's clearly done. 

Let me add one more thing... I have listed the Avalon for sale by itself. I have also made it clear I am willing to give away the Europa for free without the Avalon (Builder #1). The only reason I started this thread is I need them both gone. If anyone here is willing to help me and meet my need to move 2 cars, that would be great. If not, they are clearly separate packages. 

I think there is a case to be made that they are separate. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 11:06 a.m.

Maybe I worded my first post poorly. 

The Europa is spoken for. Builder #1. If anyone is able to help me by taking both these cars off my hands, then I am breaking my deal with Builder #1, and offering it to the person who is helping me by buying 2 cars- the free Europa, and the $900 Avalon. 

You are welcome to interpret how you choose.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rJgcoPjZVtI9hM6panRvBSSUvuRdFoyCZ1RYLIfUDNwPPEjN4mXTe6UdlGtp1rIy