AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/19 7:47 a.m.

Anyone interested in a sweet tow rig? I'm selling mine to free up funds for a house. Slight discout available to GRMers. 

https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/waynesboro-1997-dodge-ram-2500-cummins/6940278322.html

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/19 7:51 a.m.

Wow... and to think I sold my nearly identical '96 Cummins, but slightly more rusty with a few more miles for about $2000.  Sometimes I loved that truck, but usually not. 

Curious... Dana 70 or 80 rear?  When I bought 3rd Gen wheels for mine, the rear caps wouldn't fit over the end plates of the Dana 80.

AWSX1686
7/23/19 8:17 a.m.
Ian F said:

Wow... and to think I sold my nearly identical '96 Cummins, but slightly more rusty with a few more miles for about $2000.  Sometimes I loved that truck, but usually not. 

Curious... Dana 70 or 80 rear?  When I bought 3rd Gen wheels for mine, the rear caps wouldn't fit over the end plates of the Dana 80.

How long ago was that? This has been a great truck for me.

Honestly not sure what rear end it is. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/23/19 8:36 a.m.

Oh, I want that.  Sadly I have no need for a truck right now and just sold mine but...I have a thing for the Dodge trucks from that era and really like the 5spd/cummins combo.

AWSX1686
7/23/19 8:50 a.m.
RedGT said:

Oh, I want that.  Sadly I have no need for a truck right now and just sold mine but...I have a thing for the Dodge trucks from that era and really like the 5spd/cummins combo.

You definitely need this... ;)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/19 9:07 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

A 5 spd truck should have a Dana 80.  The 80 is slightly bigger/taller than the 70.

Dana 70:

Dana 80:

I sold mine about 5 years ago (I'll check my records after work tonight).  Most people have good luck with Cummins trucks.  I did not. Partly my own fault for unknowingly buying a Frankenstein truck ('95 V10 2WD body and frame with a '96 CDT 4WD drivetrain and dash - meaning the VIN's didn't match), but the engine was just not reliable for me and broke a few times.  Between what I paid for it and how much I spent fixing it, I actually had more into it than what you're asking for yours. Mine was more of a project when I finally gave up and sold it.  Something odd went on it right when I was trying to sell it (never found out what it was). Plus, the A/C and cruise control didn't work, which meant I rarely drove it unless I had some need for a truck. It tended to sit for weeks on end. Especially during the summer months. 

Mine had the 5th gear rattle as well. I've read it could be caused by a shaft nut being loose, but the noise never really changed during the 5 years I had it.  

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/23/19 9:20 a.m.

Are these the NV3500 trans like a gasser 5spd is?  If so...they're just noisy transmissions.  But bulletproof.  Go figure.

AWSX1686
7/23/19 9:45 a.m.

It should be a NV4500 transmission I believe.

As far as 5th gear goes, I just haven't been using it. It's not really a grinding sound, it's just noisy, and slightly unsettling. It still does 70mph on the highway in 4th, granted I'm sure fuel mileage suffers a bit. If I keep it long enough I'll drop the trans off at the local tranny shop and have him fix it. They think it should be a pretty cheap fix. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/19 11:35 a.m.

Yeah, IIRC, it's the 4500.  The noise is just a light rattle that never changed during the time I had it.  It never stopped me from using 5th gear since a lot of my driving was on the hwy.  That was the one thing I liked about that truck - it got pretty good hwy mileage. And the fact it could pull a full bed of firewood up a grade in 5th gear, accelerating the entire way. I once made a concerted effort to drive for economy and got 22 mpg out of one tank of mixed driving. In normal DGAF driving, around 18 mpg.  I don't know what exhaust yours has, but mine was basically straight 4" from the turbo back, with a resonator type muffler that basically did nothing except look like a muffler. The SOB was loud. Tunnels and underpasses were fun. devil

AWSX1686
8/5/19 8:02 a.m.

Sold. :( I'll miss this truck. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/5/19 8:13 a.m.

Congrats!  Did you get your asking price? 

AWSX1686
8/5/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Ended up selling for just under 11. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/5/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Sounds like a good price for all.  Thanks. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l2QtOVm5N3neyUfjcVQDQgN9UbH4SgUUlrkkzrewZmNU9rV8ogS9bUHhpCrd8Hwn