mxandcx5
mxandcx5 New Reader
8/28/21 11:26 a.m.

My Mazda3 has been a lot of fun. Pedal placement is perfect and throttle response instant. Gets 30mpg on highway. I slayed the dragon, skyline drive and Cherohala skyway last year. I recently purchased a BRZ, so this one has to go. It has a decent amount of fun mods. It does need A/C work. Link to ad and mod thread below.

Located Central West TX, 3.5 from Austin, 4.5 from Dallas

https://sanangelo.craigslist.org/cto/d/san-angelo-mazda-23l-grand-touring/7372327222.html

https://www.mazda3revolution.com/threads/2007-2-3l-mod-reviews.232727/

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/28/21 5:52 p.m.

Are these the Mazdas that the failing pre-cat destroys the engine?  

by needing AC work, does that mean a boost of refrigerant or something more substantial.  

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/21 6:19 p.m.

2nd's on needing info of the a/c repairs needed...

mxandcx5
mxandcx5 New Reader
8/28/21 9:16 p.m.

I know nothing about failing pre-cats that destroy engines with the 2.3L 4cyl, so I am going to say no on that one. Pretty reliable engines as far as I know. That may be the 3.0 V6 Mazda6 you are thinking of from around the same era.

A/C history: It was blowing cold enough without complaints and then the compressor clutch stopped engaging. I had it recharged and swapped out just the clutch coil rather than replace the entire compressor. The new clutch coil will engage for a short time and then it starts to almost stutter step- spinning at half speed. It spins freely enough by hand when the motor isn't running. Mazda doesn't sell a clutch coil kit- only the entire compressor- so the one I installed is a no name part off Amazon and so are all the other ones out there. I don't have a great assessment as to what it would take to fix (not much A/C experience to go off).  Range of options would be another $50 coil kit to $1,500 parts & labor for entire new A/C system? I'm working somewhat crazy hours, but I can try to get it into a shop for proper estimate if someone was interested.

Turbotalon1g
Turbotalon1g New Reader
9/3/21 10:42 p.m.

I'm interested!

russde
9/4/21 9:29 a.m.

Did this sell?

the craigslist ad is gone...

mxandcx5
mxandcx5 New Reader
9/4/21 1:36 p.m.

Just sold yesterday afternoon. I will delete posting

russde
9/4/21 3:20 p.m.

congrats!

...and another one off the temptation list ;)

Turbotalon1g
Turbotalon1g New Reader
9/5/21 3:38 p.m.

Ugh, this would have been perfect. I read your thread on the link you posted and it seems well loved. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mR7t6SAZXqWCt5XBpjJrULbTh0lxENhx8gflylFQ0Lho0KsLhe6i3iaCaSjZ6O1v