Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/2/21 3:23 p.m.

I was seriously considering buying this car (updated link), but have decided the timing just isn't right.   I think there's a good chance someone here would want to own this. 

I didn't see it in person, I only exchanged messages w/the seller.  It's also posted in FB Marketplace for $8k.  As much as I want to own a manual wagon again. 

The seller had posted it for $4k two or three months ago but removed the listing because the car needed axles.  He reposted w/new axles and is now asking a negotiable $6k.  I think if you offered somthing at, or close to the original asking price and moved quickly you could buy it.  If a V70R is out of your budget, this is probably the next best thing (other than an S60R).  These seem to go for ~$4k as automatic cars these days, so it'd be tough to duplicate at this price.

Ocean Race Volvo XC70 with 6MT swap.  CEL is on because the ECU needs a reflash to account for the manual swap.  The ECU reflash is <$175...but I think it may also need the clutch safety switch wired before reflashing the ECU.  Supposedly Runs, drives fine well w/CEL....but the front struts are noisy.  Supposedly the OEM axles were $2k (for two...I think?!?!>!).  No documentation on timing belt.

2002 Volvo V70 Image 0

2002 Volvo V70

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/21 5:50 p.m.

Funny, if this is the car I think it is, I knew of it when it was for sale in Wisconsin with a bad transmission and it was shipped off to Florida for the swap. There was some discussion about it on SwedeSpeed. Love that color.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/21 10:35 a.m.

That looks fun. Needs a lift and some all terrains.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/3/21 11:03 a.m.

I've seen a few XC70s and XC90s in the Ocean Race trim and I really like the color.  Much more interesting than the typical silver or metallic sand color, IMHO.

I do agree, light lift and ATs would be a fun dirt road cruiser.  

When I first saw it I was thinking mud flaps and rally-x. Essentially, what I was hoping to do with my Alltrack (now sold).  The more I thought about it though, breaking old Volvo parts might get expensive.  A subaru or just about anything else makes more sense for budget Rally-x.

Or, lower it and have a budget near-V70R. 

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/3/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I will be going over to that side of town this afternoon or this weekend, but I'm not on FB or Offerup. Do you have other contact info for the seller?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/3/21 12:28 p.m.

The Volvo Charcoal leather seats are traditionally so much better wearing than the tan leather.  If you look close, these Ocean models, also have a bright blue zig-zag stitching on the seat seems too.  

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/3/21 12:55 p.m.
dettonator20 said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

I will be going over to that side of town this afternoon or this weekend, but I'm not on FB or Offerup. Do you have other contact info for the seller?

I'll get his info and send it your way.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/3/21 1:28 p.m.
dettonator20 said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

PM Sent, let me know if you don't receive it.

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/4/21 11:42 a.m.

I did not receive it, but thank you for sending. Please try directly to cdettman at outlook com

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
12/6/21 10:53 a.m.

I know the PM system can be problematic at times.  I sent you a direct email.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/6/21 8:07 p.m.

Cool car

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/7/21 2:55 p.m.

Is anyone close enough that they want to look at this thing in person and report back?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/7/21 5:17 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Based on your earlier thread, this is the car you need. 

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/9/21 8:00 p.m.

Yes, Hoondavan sent me the contact info and I can take a look. I noticed that the price went up to $8000 today, though. Also, I saw this ad for a V70R down in Ft. Lauderdale.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/fort-lauderdale-2004-volvo-v70-wagon/7411630309.html

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/26/21 12:08 p.m.

Did anyone here take a closer look and drive this car?

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/26/21 11:59 p.m.

I'm meeting him tomorrow afternoon. I will let you know after.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/27/21 12:30 a.m.
dettonator20 said:

Yes, Hoondavan sent me the contact info and I can take a look. I noticed that the price went up to $8000 today, though. Also, I saw this ad for a V70R down in Ft. Lauderdale.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/fort-lauderdale-2004-volvo-v70-wagon/7411630309.html

Now the seller wants $10k for it. I'd skip this one. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/27/21 7:11 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
dettonator20 said:

Now the seller wants $10k for it. I'd skip this one. 

Weird stuff going on. The ad os deleted now, but about 10 hours ago it was 5K

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/27/21 7:37 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

He is probably tired of getting $3k offers on his "$5k Firm" listing. 

dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
12/31/21 4:48 p.m.

Sorry for the delay, I got sick a few hours after looking at it. Other than some dings, it is clean. The paint looks good and interior is good, as well. I didn't see any rust and he said the person he bought it from had owned it most of its life, and I think all in Florida. It drove fine except for a little vibration. He had just put new tires on and noticed that, too, so he was planning to take it back for another balance. The manual swap worked well, as far as I could tell and he said he has put 15000 miles on it since, and it is still his daily with lots of travel required for his job. He mentioned he was going to up the price after getting the AWD working correctly and having the new tires put on. It is still needing a tune to get the full HP out of the upgrades and he was thinking of doing that, too.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/14/22 2:30 p.m.

Wow.  The seller updated the listing on Offerup and it's now $10k.  I guess he did get the Hilton stage 3 tune, manual ECU conversion, ball joints and control arms.  I don't see $10k for this car, but maybe now that it's all sorted it might be a candidate for one of the fancy auction sites (BaT or CarsAndBids).  Manual lifted Volvo wagons are aimed at pretty niche market segment.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/14/22 2:42 p.m.

Damn, at 6k I would be very interested

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/19/22 1:44 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Damn, at 6k I would be very interested

It's now listed on facebook for $6.5k.  No mention of the updated software, but apparently the airbag recall was just done (Jan 2022).  This thing is taunting me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IDn2UHLkYqSNKqvzs8LKf9VWrZDERxgeZoDIqPvAyJ9M2fGyyV94q6alW5Q7qW1D