ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/10/20 7:03 p.m.

Hey Folks,

I've been casually on the lookout for my next P71 for a little bit now.  However, a few weeks ago I pulled a bonehead move in traffic that accelerated my need to "pretty much now."

I definitely want an '03 or newer panther.  P71 is preferred, followed by a civilian crown vic, and a Grand Marquis would be tolerable (I'm not very interested in a Lincoln Continental but won't rule them out completely).  I want one with good factory paint and without rust.  Ideally, I'll find something with less than 150K miles, but the one I've been driving has 280K miles...so if it ticks all my other boxes, I'd consider one with higher mileage.

I'm located in Missouri and would love to find one here in the state.  I figured I'd post here, though, because I'd consider a fly-and-drive if the seller was someone here...an enthusiast.

As far as price...I'm shopping for a Panther because they're notoriously reasonably priced.  A true enthusiast and I will see eye-to-eye.  I'm not looking for a cheap one...I'm looking for a GOOD one.

Let me know what you have if you have something.  If "wanted" posts aren't OK, I apologize in advance and will understand if the post gets deleted or moved.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/10/20 7:42 p.m.

Is this a good one?  Is it a real P71? Seems more well equipped than most cop cars. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3278632168908337/

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/10/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I have some doubts about that being a P71, although it could be a detective's car. My 95 was a P71 detective's car and came complete with cloth seats, cruise control and all of the normal civilian package stuff. Either way, that's a pretty nice looking car. Price seems a bit high to me.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/10/20 9:09 p.m.

I'll note that I bought a good one at what I think is a reasonable pandemic price. That said, a year ago I wouldn't have paid nearly $4k for one period. Good ones are out there, but the prices have gone up along with everything else. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/10/20 10:39 p.m.

Thanks,

The VIN is listed in the facebook ad posted above and it does not appear to be a P71 (since "P71" doesn't occur in the VIN).  That's a nice looking car but the ad is just "off" enough to be a red flag. (when a dealer says "1 owner" that's a good enough reason to avoid them).  Generally speaking, I avoid dealers.  

P71 isn't a "must" for me...but I do appreciate the way they are optioned (or not).  Sunroofs and combination locks are just junk waiting to happen ;)

KonaBoss
KonaBoss Reader
12/11/20 8:04 a.m.

That is a detectives car by the look of it. The 2010-2011 P71's didnt have P71 in the VIN, it was replaced by P7B. Looks like a nice car.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/11/20 10:33 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Is this a good one?  Is it a real P71? Seems more well equipped than most cop cars. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3278632168908337/

A quick googling of the vin shows that thjis same car was listed on ebay and did not sell.  Since that auction ended Dec7th, the seller has had the car for a little while.  Since the price of $4750 didn't work on ebay either, he might be willing to move down on price.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Ford-Crown-Victoria-Police-Interceptor-Pursuit-/303790248455?hash=item46bb4f5207%3Ag%3AyYIAAOSwum1fvCs8&nma=true&si=ICV8H9uGziKIe7oVkwE1WFxqJT0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Some more tips to the car's genuine "P71-ness" from ebay pics:

Cop speedo calibration 

Cop radio warning sticker

Seems that the car is also currently on ebay too. Still at $4750 or best offer.  The selling dealer seems to specialize in "fleet vehicles".

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/11/20 3:07 p.m.

I'm not opposed to a P7B (or civilian CV either)...something that I didn't know about until just now ;)

That looks like a nice example but that's not the seller for this buyer.

As a tangent...

I can tell that I'm not the typical person interested in a police-package car.  When looking for one I'm not really excited about its history as a cop car (or a detective car, or a captains car, or a fire cheif's car, or...I have a feeling a lot of that history is speculated by sellers anyway, lol).  It is a fun conversation-starter but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a car with an unknown history that has been driven by someone who doesn't own it.  On the upside, they generally get maintained by someone who's not paying for the parts...so that's a plus, lol.

I like the Police car for the spartan, utility aspect.  If I were to buy and special order a new car, it would be "optioned" much like a police car

It seems many folks who drive decommissioned police vehicles are very interested in looking like a cop.  I, on the other hand, have found it mostly annoying when folks run up on you like they're going to pass, mistake you for a possible LEO, and then hang out in your blind spot while they recover from their scare.  And it's funny, because even out here in "trickle down" country, there aren't many Crown Vics still in police service.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/12/20 9:53 p.m.

https://dothan.craigslist.org/cto/d/dothan-2007-mercury-gr-marq-ls/7246131289.html

Nor the best deal I’ve seen, but my pricing mind is pre covid! 

Also not your option request, just looks like a nice car, despite twice the miles of my own...(that’s no longer as nice!)

just a thought. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/18/20 1:08 p.m.

Thanks!  I'm really only interested in something outside of Missouri if it's a member of this forum or someone they know personally.  It never hurts to see more examples, though ;)

I've been looking for a month now.  So far I haven't come across the right deal.  It may take a year, lol, but something will work out eventually.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/18/20 3:31 p.m.

My mother has a Grand Marquis in really nice mechanical shape- no rust, no collisions, only 45,000 miles. Runs perfect. 

The problem is she reached the point where she could no longer maintain the little things regarding exterior finish. There are a ton of small scratches around the door locks, on the door where he mailbox door would lean, etc. She's had a couple minor fender benders that were never repaired. 

I'm not sure it's the car you are looking for. 

She's not ready to sell right away, but will be soon. She no longer drives. 

It will be a deal for someone, but I didn't mention it because it didn't sound quite like what you were looking for. 

Let me know if you are interested. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
12/18/20 4:05 p.m.

This is in Springdale, Arkansas. And that is all I know about it. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/18/20 5:50 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks...I'll send a message at some point soon. smiley

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/18/20 10:41 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

Thanks!  I'm really only interested in something outside of Missouri if it's a member of this forum or someone they know personally.  It never hurts to see more examples, though ;)

I've been looking for a month now.  So far I haven't come across the right deal.  It may take a year, lol, but something will work out eventually.

That is exactly the right attitude when looking!!!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/18/20 10:42 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

As a short hijack, what year is her Merc?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
12/19/20 7:56 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/19/20 12:46 p.m.

When she is ready to sell, keep me in mind. I might have recovered some financially by then!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
12/19/20 12:49 p.m.

No problem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UPU7JGzBUsjJusIxqTKV90RvggN7ipjOW9s3LjgLNOotpcBjvRNoHhiffDwXLECk