saruken
saruken Reader
11/2/20 2:23 p.m.

I've got access to a friend's Ram, $50 for a UHaul car trailer, and this weird project-sized empty space in my driveway. SO has approved a budget of $500.

Non-running is fine, rolling and stopping would be ideal. I'm looking to focus on metalwork and fabrication with this one so some rust is cool, mostly rust not so much – I don't have room for a frame-off / rotisserie operation.

Anyone have something like this lying around? I could cover Nashville to Charlotte east-west, or Cincinnati to Atlanta north-south.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/2/20 2:34 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/20 3:21 p.m.

can't beat the Fiata. But if you showed up here I'd be able to load you up with 2 projects worth much less than $500 together lol. 

What is your end goal? A challenge car? A sunday driver? A classic to be proud of? A commute attack car? Race car for specific class?

saruken
saruken Reader
11/2/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Hoo boy that looks like a handful or several. Very cool though.

As far as goals go, I don't really have anything specific in mind. Just something that speaks to me and would be a good platform to pick up some new skills. I'm a software developer by trade with a decent background in electrics, but I've never welded anything or fabricated a part, unless you count 3D printing.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/20 7:49 p.m.

I’m completely biased here... but fiata does sound like it has a lot of what you are looking for!

edit....

pm’s didn’t seem to work on a previous discussion. Email at mc_snyder at Comcast dot net if you are interested!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/2/20 8:21 p.m.

I wish I had something cool in that range. Only thing I have at that price is an AWD Astro van... Pretty cool, but to a different crowd!

Then again, I could make ya a deal on a 97 Firebird Formula - LT1 350 former 6 speed car, but with no trans. Could haul it part way, too.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
11/2/20 8:26 p.m.

Did I hear someone say "AWD Astro" ?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/2/20 8:31 p.m.

why, yes, yes I did! No rust, decent body/paint. Very dirty interior but not all ripped up. Supposable runs good but needs a fuel pump. I will start a for sale thread if your interested.

OP would have first choice since thread jack, but it doesn't sound like what he is looking for.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
11/2/20 8:39 p.m.

Interested,  but honestly not possible right now.  I  just really liked the one I had that got crashed. 

saruken
saruken Reader
11/3/20 4:11 p.m.

Update

Deal pending on this:

Complete and very straight 1500DX with a 5 speed. The transmission is apparently bad, but the seller is including 2 replacements. Can't wait to get started!

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
11/3/20 5:29 p.m.

In reply to saruken :

I like that it has a trailer hitch.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/20 9:11 a.m.

I've got a 2001 BMW 330ci that I'd let go for $500...but it's not within a couple hundred miles of E TN. 1,000 miles to Nashville from here (Corpus Christi, TX)

runs, fair

drives, needs paint and interior work and some interior electrical help (gauges, etc)

saruken
saruken Reader
11/5/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to russde :

Ohhhh wow.. I was 100% on the Honda but now I'm rethinking. Can I get some pics and info on that E46? Hardtop? Any updates since the cranking / cold start issue you posted about before?

russde
11/5/20 10:34 a.m.

In reply to saruken :

russde
11/5/20 10:35 a.m.

Shoot me your email or phone number, we can talk. russde dot 93 at g ma i l

saruken
saruken Reader
11/5/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to russde :