1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/27/20 10:59 a.m.

I was just reading https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/roadrally-one-oldest-scca-activities-will-be-revived-2020/  and since a Z4 doesn't have what you'd call "ground clearance" and since I'm contemplating my winter car ANYWAY, for which we only have a reasonable budget of $1,500 (or if it's better than a 210k mile '08 T&C we could merge budget line items and scrape up $3ish), I thought I'd turn to you lovely folks for some help.

I'm probably limited to getting one from MI or the states close to the lower peninsula IN, OH, western PA, maybe northern WV, KY, maybe Chicago

While I would prefer a car with a backseat (or two) I don't really have any requirements other than it has to be running and driving for the above listed price(s)

EDIT: Oh yeah, whoever comes up with the successful lead gets to choose the livery :)

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/27/20 11:25 a.m.

This keeps showing up in my FB... Grand Vitara.  Looks very clean. States to be 2wd only but that means rwd and that could be super fun on something like this event.  It is located a country away from me and that county of Metro West Cleveland requires emissions testing.  The seller says its not passing.  That should make it even cheaper than the $2.5k he's asking.  

Longer and stronger w/ V6 and 4x4 $1,200

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/27/20 11:58 a.m.

I spent a winter driving a fwd LeSabre with snow tires.  That big heavy front end holding down those tires...it felt like you could drive through anything.   $1,200 Lesabre

Same as LeSabre but with more flare 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/20 12:56 p.m.

Miata.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/27/20 1:14 p.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/27/20 1:20 p.m.

I was searching for a small hatchback, winter beater, rallycross, etc. candidate and came across this...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/223121382408124/

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 1:32 p.m.

also saw this ad, but no title has kept me away.... The orange tab on the plates is from 2011, so it's been sitting awhile.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/373634186966144/

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 1:46 p.m.

I couldn't resist.... I messaged the MINI seller to see what's wrong with it, who had the title, and are they still alive.

Edit: Seller has a title, it won't start, he has no idea what's wrong and "has no time to look at it".  I suddenly like the Kia better.

P3PPY
8/27/20 1:46 p.m.

I found this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/737371053500300/

99 Yukon (XL?) for $1500- I can only assume mountains of miles. (EDIT: 282k, according to seller) Anything in particular about these I should beware of? Obviously something happened to the OE bumper

(Edit again: "282k. New parts within past year: upper/lower ball joints both sides, brake pads, calipers, rotors, wheel bearing/hub assemblies both sides, shocks front/ rear, power steering pump/ hoses, reservoir, radiator/hoses, oil cooler lines, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, thermostat, top end gasket kit(upper/lower intake, throttle body, distributor, valve cover gaskets), shifter cable from column to transmission, Front axel shafts when I got it 3yrs ago. And new driveshaft u joints 3 weeks ago")

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

How are lost titles handled here in MI?

EDIT: nevermind it's a really straightforward process https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435_1619-25515--,00.html

P3PPY
8/27/20 1:51 p.m.

uh oh, I messaged him too. now he's gonna think he has gold. :)

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/27/20 2:10 p.m.
KonaBoss
KonaBoss Reader
8/27/20 2:20 p.m.

Going to throw in the crown victoria plug here. RWD, half decent suspension geometry, available with a posi rear end, an absolute riot in the snow with snow tires...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Without knowing what's wrong I'd walk away from the MINI. There are too many things that could go wrong and cost thousands to repair with them. If it's a BCM issue for example, it's a scrap car. Or, if the PTO to the water pump failed it's a new engine. Too many unknowns.

And ,from years of TSD experience I wouldn't be trying to tackle a serious rally like the POR ,in a 2 or 3 ton vehicle unless you're treating the whole exercise as a lark. This isn't the Gambler 500.

P3PPY
8/27/20 2:32 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

My Bubble Butt Wagon could certainly be bought and then repaired within that budget.

Just sayin'

I have one for sale too, but his has LT1 power, so it’s faster.

Indy "Nub" Guy, how did I miss your reply!? And yes, your car would be one of my top choices except rule #1 from the wife is that I can't take more family time fixing a car she doesn't even think we need. WHICH means I have to plan to pay to have things fixed, and trailering home a land barge that I need to work on would... how do I describe this... it would be bad. AND we just lost $1,200 on a $600 van because I underestimated the power of rust in the rust belt.

And yeah, BlueInGreen, I have been eyeing yours too, but I keep thinking about LT1 instead of TBI and I can't bring myself to go back to that, but the body does look to be in better shape than the 95 and I hear Vortec heads do wonders..

DeadSkunk, thank you for the words of wisdom about the Mini and Suburban. I assume that advice applies to a 4,500# wagon as well then

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 2:41 p.m.
P3PPY
8/27/20 2:57 p.m.

Sadly, too many immediate needs on that one but thanks for the reminder about Focuses. I forgot all about them. It would make my in-laws happy too; my late father in law used to rally them here in MI with his son, my brother in law.

Seriously, though, forget about wagons and crown vics if doing Press On Regardless and other rallycross?
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/we-need-another-rallycross-thread-dont-we/119164/page1/

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

For serious TSD rallies I wouldn't want to try driving a large car, fast, down narrow forest roads, in the dark at the end of a 12 hour day and on a rally of the caliber of the POR you WILL be driving fast because you'll be late a lot. You'll be trying to avoid maximum lateness at checkpoints unless you're planning on having an experienced navigator.  Heavy cars are just too cumbersome. For local rallycross or club level TSDs run whatever floats your boat and meets your other vehicular needs. I'd just be looking for light, nimble and reasonably comfortable for the POR. Cars like Celicas, Tiburons, Neons, Hyundais, Kias. The real problem will be finding a solid car for your budget and knowing what areas to check for rust on any northern car in your price range. Back to what I said in an earlier post....if this is just a lark then get anything dependable and go enjoy yourself. When you've had enough of the rally just head home or go to whatever bar the finish is at and enjoy a few before the rest of the crews arrive. I've done that, too. :)

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/27/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

It sounds like you're missing an opportunity here.  Why just any car?  Why not buy your dream?  
Me I like Jaguars. ( sorry) I know where I can put my hands  on 3-4 at that price and have them running with money left over.  
Whatever you car of choice is go with that. Then win lose or fail you get something good from the experiance. 

P3PPY
8/27/20 4:09 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to P3PPY :

It sounds like you're missing an opportunity here.  Why just any car?  Why not buy your dream?  
Me I like Jaguars. ( sorry) I know where I can put my hands  on 3-4 at that price and have them running with money left over.  
Whatever you car of choice is go with that. Then win lose or fail you get something good from the experiance. 

man... you're getting me all starry-eyed! I just can't think of anything I *want*. Maybe another BMW like this (looks like a speed sensor is out) but I understand that cheap BMWs are asking for trouble https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1193707437675067/  - how bad of an idea is that? As long as it drives without fixing anything first (other than the leak - which would need to be seen in person first) I think it could slide under the "it doesn't need anything, honey" rule. Insufficient ground clearance to consider running it?

I'm really at a loss for what I want though. In winter what I'm REALLY going to want is auto-start!

DeadSkunk, I get what you're saying now. I've driven plenty of too-heavy cars too fast and I hate that feeling. Doing that in those conditions sounds like something I would start to un-enjoy.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/20 4:33 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

"Something I would start to un-enjoy.".......Bingo!  It would turn into a white knuckle affair and take all the fun out of the whole event. Just the opposite effect to what you wished for.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/27/20 7:59 p.m.
P3PPY said:
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

My Bubble Butt Wagon could certainly be bought and then repaired within that budget.

Just sayin'

I have one for sale too, but his has LT1 power, so it’s faster.

Indy "Nub" Guy, how did I miss your reply!? And yes, your car would be one of my top choices except rule #1 from the wife is that I can't take more family time fixing a car she doesn't even think we need. WHICH means I have to plan to pay to have things fixed, and trailering home a land barge that I need to work on would... how do I describe this... it would be bad. AND we just lost $1,200 on a $600 van because I underestimated the power of rust in the rust belt.

And yeah, BlueInGreen, I have been eyeing yours too, but I keep thinking about LT1 instead of TBI and I can't bring myself to go back to that, but the body does look to be in better shape than the 95 and I hear Vortec heads do wonders..

DeadSkunk, thank you for the words of wisdom about the Mini and Suburban. I assume that advice applies to a 4,500# wagon as well then

Where are you located?

Here's a hypothetical question:  If the Wagon could be delivered (to your door) for $1250 would it be a contendor ?

I have a tow pig, and Gumby would probably loan me his dolly if I asked.

P3PPY
8/27/20 11:11 p.m.

Contemplating that offer, PM sent 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/28/20 5:53 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Thanks for the heads up on the PM.  Yahoo berkeleys them up, so I never see them unless I'm given a hint to go searching for them.

P3PPY
8/28/20 9:29 a.m.

Bubble Butt is not going to work out for me. Still looking

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/28/20 11:32 a.m.

Maxima with a manual

$1,200 in Oakland County

1982 Plymouth Champ!

$1500, supposedly runs and drives

1 2