1 2 3 4 ... 10
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/21 6:22 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

No.  Facebook marketplace is remarkably stupid.  It automatically assigns a value range when you put in the specs of the vehicle and doesn't let you put your real asking price if it's over a certain threshold.

When he listed the van, he probably entered all the specs, it looked up the KBB price, and didn't let him put in $10k.  It happens all the time.  You'll find a few thousand cars listed for $1234 which is kinda code for "FB is being a controlling nanny again."  I'm hitting the same snag with my Mazda B4000.  It's a 1994, so FB assumes it's a clapped out pile of E36 M3 and won't let me put more than $1800.  It doesn't know that it's a remarkably clean, rust-free FL truck and would easily fetch $3000 up here in PA.

The $5000 price is just a BS number he had to put in because FB wouldn't let him put $10k.

1/15/21 12:02 p.m.

Ok, folks, the deal is alive.

He wants to take the equipment out and sell it separately.  It's evidently a complete skid package that he ordered for $6000 a few years ago, so he's trying to get as much money out of the equipment as possible and he thinks selling the skid separately will net him more than trying to sell the whole package together.

He did find the piece of paper on it with the solenoid code, so he's going to text me that so I know what I'm up against.

His problem is, he doesn't have anywhere to store the skid, nor does he have a way of getting the skid out, so he's kinda leaning toward me taking the whole package.  I honestly don't think I care.  Van alone for $7000-ish isn't a screaming deal, but fair.  $10k for the whole package?  Thoughts?

I know I won't get $6000 for the skid/equipment, but what do you think I can get for it?  Apparently it has a kick-ass pressure washer, a big generator, plus the hoses and tank and all the other goodies.  My only pricing research turns up new mobile detailing trailers for around $8000.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/21 12:09 p.m.

I think its going to be hard for anyone to sell the detailing stuff for anywhere near $6k. $3k, maaaaaybe, but still seems like a lot of work. 

If you don't want the detailing stuff, I'd strongly advise you not to buy it. 

1/15/21 12:21 p.m.

I really don't, but I'm trying to determine which is the better deal, know what I mean?  If I could get $4000 for the skid, it makes the van purchase $6k.  If I could only get $1000 for the skid, I take a $9k bath on the van.  

I also know me pretty well after 47 years.  I'll probably take a look at the pressure washer and the generator and want to keep them for no sane reason whatsoever.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/15/21 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

say you do get $4k for the skid. But it takes you 50 hours of time to uninstall, clean, photograph, test, list, deal with tire kickers, deal with lowballers, deal with no shows, etc. 

With 50 hours of looking I'm sure you can find a similar van that is $1k less. Heck, you can probably buy a van for half price and do 50 hours worth of work to bring it up to this van's exact same condition. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/21 12:39 p.m.

I would just try and get the van cheap as you can get it without skid.  Saves you the hassle of taking it out and trying to sell it later and more focus on setting up the van how you like

1/15/21 12:51 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

say you do get $4k for the skid. But it takes you 50 hours of time to uninstall, clean, photograph, test, list, deal with tire kickers, deal with lowballers, deal with no shows, etc. 

With 50 hours of looking I'm sure you can find a similar van that is $1k less. Heck, you can probably buy a van for half price and do 50 hours worth of work to bring it up to this van's exact same condition. 

True, but I think it would be more like, "hey neighbor, bring your forklift over" and 20 minutes later it would be photographed and listed on CL.

Part of this purchase is getting a vehicle I can turn the key and drive, so 50 hours of work on a fixer-upper isn't in the cards.  It needs to be a vehicle that is ready to work.  Depending on what the seller says the P-code is, it might be a dead deal sooner than we think.

After two weeks of looking, I found a couple AWD GM vans.  Examples of what I found include a 2009 with 308k listed for $10k, and a 2014 with 289k listed for $13,5000.  This 06 with 87k at $7500 (8 hours away from me) pretty much represents the best deal I've seen so far.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/21 1:11 p.m.

The more you/we know of the sellers situation the more power you/we can have.  With the terms of "have to take it all" you have gained some time because a very limited market of people are going to take that deal.  

I re-read the FB sale ad.  He references Rightlook.com.  They are the sellers of the skid-Detail System. The price list and videos will help you figure out what he bought and what he paid.  I see a generator, a hot dog air compressor and an extractor/shop vac.  The power washer is pump pieces and the big tank.  

https://shop.rightlook.com/collections/auto-detailing-skid-mounts

Our man does not have the upgraded "quite Honda" generator.  Looks like the small tank too.  My guess is he has this $4,800 unit , the micro deluxe with no options.  Looks like he has the small hose real and small extractor too.

Let me gather some thoughts...  I think there are still options.  

And, yes, find out more on the code/issue.   

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/15/21 1:39 p.m.

I wish you well, but this seems like waaaay more trouble than it's worth. I've dealt with needy buyers and sellers like this before and it never works out. YMMV and again, good luck. 

1/15/21 1:40 p.m.

Thanks John.  According to him (exaggeration factor highly possible) he said it was $6500 ($500 of which was freight), but I have no idea if he's being straight with me.  He did add the custom lumber shelves/frame, so I wonder if maybe he got the $4800 skid and then paid more to have someone build the extras?  I will say that so far he has been very eager to communicate with apparent honesty and complete openness to mechanic inspections.

I reached out to Secretariata who is willing to go look at it this weekend for me.

And yes, I think if I strike a deal on just the van, I'll have a little time to play with until he finds storage for the equipment and is able to get it extracted.

I will also need to start lining up a ride.  I would tow a trailer down with the Mazda and then tow the Mazda back with the van, but I don't think the Mazda will make it... nor do I want to risk trying to tow a flatbed with a truck on it without a brake controller installed in a half-ton van.

1/15/21 1:45 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

I wish you well, but this seems like waaaay more trouble than it's worth. I've dealt with needy buyers and sellers like this before and it never works out. YMMV and again, good luck. 

I tend to agree with you all... don't do the equipment, just the van.  My fear there is that he'll take the stuff out and want to keep the van as he had mentioned he was thinking of doing.

If that happens, I'll just start the search again, but it doesn't seem likely I'll find another option that suits this well.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/21 1:49 p.m.

Other travel options:

Rent a one-way car and drive back the van? Expect it to cost more than a standard rental maybe $100 per day.

Drive down a fwd car, rent a Uhaul dolly one-way and tow back the car?  Expect it to cost $150-ish for one way.  More expensive than local rental

1/15/21 7:16 p.m.

I'll look into tow dollies.  I think I might even post on FB to see if anyone locally has one they would lend me for a case of beer.  I could use the Branger in that case since it's a manual, but I'm not sure it would make the trip without something breaking.  Yesterday's fun folly was that it sounded like I was dragging a sheet of rusty steel on the pavement.  Truck seemed to run OK, but every time I went under an overpass I could hear it.  Got out and looked and there was nothing dragging.  It didn't make that sound today, but it did develop a new coolant leak.  That truck is so reliable at failing.

Still, I put the word out for a buddy itching for a roadtrip.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/15/21 7:45 p.m.

I own a 2016 F150 4x4 while it's a great size great fuel mileage reliable and maintenance free plus it easily tows anything I throw it it from Jaguars sedans to 28 foot boats.  But it's  stupid high. Even the two wheel drive version is silly high. 
I'm 5'9" and I need a step stool just to reach into it or check the oil. I carry a fold up plastic one. But I hate that I have to. 
The Chevy isn't any better. Plus it will rust away so quickly. I see 4-5 year old ones with blisters around the fenders. At least the Aluminum Ford isn't supposed to do that   

1/15/21 7:56 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Want to trade your F150 for a really E36 M3ty 94 Mazda?  :)

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/15/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I think what Curtis is looking for in a van, is not that easy to find a deal on. That being said, I would not want to deal with trying to sell something that is also a quite small market.

He sounds like he is at least trying to be straight fwd., so prolly telling the truth on what he paid. Doesn't mean he did not pay A LOT too much!! I would not pit much stock in much of what he says... does not sound like he really has his act together very well. From the impression I get of him, I would expect him to have paid too much, thinking he was gonna make his fortune.

Getting it unloaded for him has lots of options to be done easy, but he will have to deal with where to put it. Since he does not have a place (it be easy for him to work out if he had any common sense at all) I would not offer mor than a grand difference on what I would pay for the van without. As mentioned before, if truly rust free, and cel is minor, 9K ain't ridiculously high, in this market. But 8K for it all ain;t a bad offer, either.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/16/21 9:48 a.m.

Lookin at his purchase price claim, the $4800+ shipping + tax + misc stuff he probably bought gets you closeish to the $6500

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/16/21 9:54 a.m.

A new business venture could come out of this. Curtis Mobile Car Service. It's all in the details. laugh I'll show myself the door.

Back on topic. How about a train ride down? 

1/16/21 2:15 p.m.

I've been looking into public transport.  I'm being pretty cautious about infections (mom with compromised immunity) and trying to get straight answers on covid safety hasn't turned up a ton of reliable info.  I just reached out to a cousin who lives in NC to see if she plans on being up this way anytime soon.  She comes up rather frequently to see my elderly aunt.

Regarding the seller, here is my completely-guessing impression.  He's a young scanner/rennaisance soul/empath who didn't hear the calling of traditional college education, so he's been bouncing from job to job hoping to find the right fit.  This detailing business was likely something he invested in and then either found it to be something he doesn't like, or it wasn't profitable with covid.  I get the feeling he knows it needs to go but doesn't want to admit that it's time to cut his losses.  Hence his indecision.  Secretariata is meeting him Monday to look it over.

I'm sure if this van doesn't pan out I'll find another one, but I just got called back to both of my jobs and reliable transport is kinda important.

Edit to add:  Just checked trains.  Yikes.  One train per week goes to his general area.  It's not expensive, but it departs at 1pm and gets to Charlotte at 2:20am the next day.  I wasn't expecting a non-stop express that gets me there in 5 hours, but 14 is a bit excessive.  Flights aren't much better.  Most of the routes have 2-3 layovers and take 10-12 hours as well.  I found a couple non-stops, but they're $500.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/16/21 2:28 p.m.

Offer 7k for the van, and you help him get the skid out when you pick it up. You can bring him a tarp that he can use to cover up the skid in his driveway. 

Even if it is too heavy to lift as is, I bet you can unbolt the generator, make sure the water is all dumped, and then it should be easy enough for 2 people to handle. And I wouldn't be too worried about flying right now, if you are prepared to wear a mask the entire time. Maybe even a mask and a scarf, to help make sure you don't accidentally touch your face. 

I don't know much about the skid. But I do know that if the company is selling it for $4800, they are probably spending about $2400 to make and build it. I can't imagine they have less than about 5 hours of labor in each one, for a rough $400 cost, so my guess is the parts cost the company about $2000 total. Used, assume you'd get about half of new price for tools. So I guess unless you get really lucky finding a person who wants the entire skid as is (seller hasn't yet, btw), you are left parting it out for a return of about $1000. 

All that said, if your other vans that you have found are the only other ones available - just freaking buy this one since it is the best deal by far (even at 10k), and don't worry much about the cost of the skid. Assume you get nothing from reselling it, and then you are in the green no matter what. 

1/16/21 2:29 p.m.
03Panther said:

Getting it unloaded for him has lots of options to be done easy, but he will have to deal with where to put it. Since he does not have a place (it be easy for him to work out if he had any common sense at all) 

I think his unwillingness to admit defeat on his venture is supplanting the common sense part.  He could easily ditch the stuff and put a tarp over it, but he doesn't want to so he's not motivated.

I did think about getting a little 6x8 enclosed trailer to put the detailing stuff in.  I might be able to sell a mobile detailing trailer a little easier, but again.... I don't need the headache. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/16/21 2:29 p.m.

didn't see the cost of flights. Get a buddy and road trip!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/16/21 2:31 p.m.

honestly, the sellers refusal to remove the skid IS actually detracting from the value of the van. Because no other purchasers want the headache either. 

1/16/21 2:39 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

honestly, the sellers refusal to remove the skid IS actually detracting from the value of the van. Because no other purchasers want the headache either. 

Truth.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/21 4:03 p.m.

Him wanting to sell everything at once means his list of potential buyers is about 5 countrywide.

The van itself probably isn't highly regarded. People that want Vans probably don't care about AWD and the added expense on top of a normal 2wd van and people that want Vans are low anyway so take that 5 and figure it's more like....2 now.

Add in the fact that he seems to be really willing to work with you and we get that it's probably only you that's interested in it.

You don't want a detail business, you want a van. Having to take the detail stuff should make the number go down if anything. 

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CWB7BMmye0NbQl1YHl74L2OxBBxqGlGxxIuqotzFSIP5oTR0MP3cPqghA4T840tk