dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/1/21 12:43 p.m.

Looking for an extended cab truck or suv that can reliably tow 5k lbs. 4 wheel drive is nice but not necessary, mileage is less concerning than body/frame condition, willing to travel for a clean vehicle. I'll probably daily drive it in the winter, so working heat and a/c as well as cruise control are musts. Would like to stay under $10k if at all possible. I haven't found much for sale locally that's well-sorted or trustworthy for long trips. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/21 8:23 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

I could potentially be convinced to sell my '96 F250 PowerStroke. NV truck until I brought it to WV three years ago, so most of the bits that tend to be missing on local trucks are still there.

Downside is that it's a regular cab model.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/1/21 10:26 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I'm not entirely well-versed with Diesel engines but I could be interested, Berkeley Springs area?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/2/21 8:27 a.m.

Dont have a specific vehicle for you but I highly recommend looking for GMT-800 GM 2500 trucks with the gas 6.0 or 8.1 engine or the 2500 Suburbans with the same engines. 

BoxheadTim
12/2/21 9:16 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

It's the 7.3 turbodiesel, which is pretty durable and doesn't have any of the issues of the later engines. I've dumped a bunch of money into the truck addressing some intermittent electronic issues. I barely use it and it looks like I'll be replacing it with an SUV when my Alfa lease ends, so I don't need two tow pigs.

The front driver's side brake needs looking at - the caliper had partially seized from non-use, and I had a local shop replace replace it, but I get some occassional noise from the caliper so that needs to be looked at. Otherwise it's in about as good a shape as you'd expect a (work) truck from the high desert to be after 300k miles.

Yes, Berkeley Springs area, about 10 minutes out of town.

Feel free to PM me on here if you're interested and we can talk about it in more detail.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/2/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I'll only be towing about 3k miles a year, and the rest of the time the truck will be a daily at least during the colder months, so I don't think I'll get to really appreciate the benefits of a diesel, also a back seat would be ideal for sleeping at the track and dry storage.

BoxheadTim
12/2/21 10:07 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Well, it does have a very nice lockable metal camper shell on it that should cover the "sleeping at the track and dry storage" part .

That said, while I've driven this truck across the country, a comfortable daily driver it doesn't make. It's an old school truck with leaf springs at each corner, for starters.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/21 11:05 a.m.

I love my diesel truck but for the OPs needs there's no need to pay the premium for one.  Pretty much any 1/2 ton or heavier truck made in the last forty years will comfortably tow 5k. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
12/2/21 11:59 a.m.

Here's one for sale, Dave is a GRM member as well. It's 2WD and a crew cab long bed, it will easily tow more than twice 5K.

2500 8.1L

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/2/21 1:42 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Do you know his username ? I don't have a facebook account.

motobill
motobill New Reader
12/2/21 2:00 p.m.

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD, CCSB, 4wd, 6.0, 4:10 with about 135k on the clock. Great tow vehicle. It shows an accident on CarFax with an airbag deployment. Frame is fine based on my two years of experience with the truck and what the CarFax says. Truk is dead reliable and a good daily driver, if you don't mind getting 12mpg. You can get better on the highway. I got 16 on my first highway trip and then installed a camper. It's been about 12 ever since. 

There are some of the usual GMT800 problems: exhaust manifold bolts, crappy seat cushions. It loses some oil but gets good oil reports from Blackstone and passes CA Smog just fine. So, I think there is some venting of the crankcase that is going unchecked. You can smell the vaporized oil on hot days. 

Doesn't fit your budget. These trucks are selling for crazy money these days. Crazy. I would consider selling it at $12,500. email me at motobill at gmail if you are interested. Car is in CA. 

--bb

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
12/2/21 8:53 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Do you know his username ? I don't have a facebook account.

DILYSI Dave is his username.  I can send a message to him if needed.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/5/21 9:55 a.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

That's probably another truck that is a lot more than what I need but if nothing else smaller comes up soon I might message him, I picked up my new trailer yesterday, very exciting:

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/6/21 10:36 p.m.

Would it be a mistake to think this could be a reliable option ?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/uniontown-2005-nissan-armada-le-miles/7412199752.html

I'd really have to climb underneath it to investigate the no rust claim, but the price seems fair if these platforms aren't a can of worms.. not generally a fan of leather seats but at least they're heated..

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/21 10:53 p.m.
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/6/21 11:04 p.m.

I normally recommend the more truck the better, for towing, but for no more than your needs, any half ton pickup will do what ya want. 
just saw a 01 F150 4 dr at a friend of a friends for $5K. Looked like the beige paint was original and shiny, and fancy rims and tires. AL is a long way south, but, no salting of roads here!

I know nothing about it, but could ask if there was any interest. Looked good at a glance, and if trucks are selling for the asking prices mentioned, is a heck of a good deal. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/6/21 11:04 p.m.
John Welsh said:

That Akron dealer usually post some clean and interesting vehicles.  They are usually under the owner section.  I'd contact them and get their complete inventory. 

More from same

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/uniontown-2006-chevrolet-avalanche-1500/7417243540.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/uniontown-2005-dodge-dakota-slt-crew-47/7416874167.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/uniontown-2008-ford-150-xlt-ext-cab-4wd/7415689226.html

interesting! None of those prices seem to be as exorbitantly inflated as most of the used car dealer stuff lately. Also I can't imagine any of those vehicles actually came from the Akron area, not rusty enough..

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/21 11:11 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Akron CL owners section. In there you'll find a lot of cars and trucks on the same tan background 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/7/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I assume that's the 5.4 triton? If the internet is to be believed, I want to avoid those engines unless the maintenance records are extensive.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/7/21 11:42 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Other than spark plug threads (not everyone had a problem there) I think the rest is sound on the 5.4. But I have not owned one, so...

But most of the modular engines problems follow all the mod. c u and yrs, so that would eliminate looking at any ford...

But, yea, I would assume 5.4. Would not be the 6.8, and I doubt the CC could be had with the V6 (?). So I guess either 4.6 or 5.4, with 5.4 being the most likely. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/8/21 2:18 p.m.

I drove a 2010 Frontier today and liked how simple it was, also the 4.0 feels pretty strong in the smaller truck. They're rated to tow ~ 6000 lbs, so if the seller moves on the price to somewhere more within my realm, it could be a winner.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
As3WHhYjP6w4C0JgE5ZuJctlcR3SDwSyGrjAYPESR6B69t5qVJRqfwB1TfVaOAvJ