mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/3/09 4:12 p.m.

My dad just bought a '58 MGA, getting here tomorrow from Hawaii. Beautiful car...

Does an all-original '58 MGA need leaded fuel? The head has never been replaced/rebuilt.

Thanks James

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
12/3/09 5:36 p.m.

http://www.mgexperience.net/ great for mg advice

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk New Reader
12/3/09 6:06 p.m.

You'll get some valve seat recession over time, but you can simply put in hardened valve seats, when the time comes to rebuild the head. You'll be OK for a while.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/4/09 4:16 a.m.

Yeah, over time you might see some valve seat wear, but only if you drive that car real hard and run up lots of miles.

Assuming it's more of a street toy than a high-mileage daily driver, my guess is that you'll run for many, many years before even seeing a little recession.

My '69 MGB has run for years on unleaded with no measurable seat wear. I'm also racing a vintage Sprite on mostly Sunoco GT unleaded (100 octane). With over 50 weekends of racing, the valve seats show no excess wear.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/4/09 12:29 p.m.

Yeah, what he said!

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/09 3:49 p.m.

Cool guys, thanks, just got it home to my dad's.

We had the car running with my dad in the front seat, I told my mom to come up to the road. She took it pretty well... Think she's getting a vacation soon. I'll post pics when I have them.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/09 6:34 p.m.

Love the looks of MGA's. Been afraid to drive one, because I've been told that they're dynamically disappointing.

This one's been out there for months. There must be something terribly wrong for it not to sell at that price.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1491761206.html

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/4/09 8:51 p.m.

Gackk! That one is a terrible colour!

I race against them all the time. In terms of handling and speed, a race-prepped, stock-ish MGA is similar in performance to a similarly set-up 1275 Sprite. In other words, decent.

My first street car was an MGA. Not as comfy as my MGB, but nice to drive. Very "pure" and "direct", sort of like an old Lotus 7.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
12/6/09 6:11 p.m.

i suppose they were good cars ,, but i had a new 1957 Fuellie corvette ,4spd. at that time!

never was much intimidated by many cars back then.

in 1958 added LSD and traction bars, that took care of most shortcomins.

like any old dude,(shoulda kept it)

dougie
dougie Reader
12/8/09 9:44 p.m.

Hey James - Maybe when your dad gets tried of the new/old MGA he'll let you take it to the track. We have some of the fastest MGA's in the country here on the West Coast. I always enjoy running with them, when prepared right they can run away from a lot of higher HPer cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVTq-9VMws

Dougie

wspohn
wspohn New Reader
12/13/09 12:18 p.m.

If you use the car for highway use - long periods at high speed, you'll need to redo the head much sooner than you will if you just use it for driving around town once in awhile.

I have a couple of MGs (MGA, MGC) with original seats that are holding up well, and one V8 I use for highway work that isn't.

masterjohnson
masterjohnson New Reader
6/7/11 8:01 a.m.

what will happen to my car if use different fuel with high octane? what will be damage inside my engine?

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/8/11 8:49 p.m.
masterjohnson wrote: what will happen to my car if use different fuel with high octane? what will be damage inside my engine?

You'll just waste a lot of money. There isn't a stock MGA built that won't run on 89 octane, and often 87, unless the head gets carbonned up in which case the solution isn't to switch to premium to temporarily cure the ping, it is to remove the head and decoke it.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/8/11 8:51 p.m.
ronbros wrote: i suppose they were good cars ,, but i had a new 1957 Fuellie corvette ,4spd. at that time! never was much intimidated by many cars back then.

One of my favourite opponents on the track was a 1957 injected Corvette.

I used to turn a half second a lap faster times than he could (I had handling and brakes, he had acceleration) but if he ever got out front, there was almost no way I could pass him (Corvettes can be very wide in the corners!)

speedygonzales
speedygonzales
6/9/11 11:30 p.m.

one the first place why would you force your car to run on high octane fuel. it is always written on the manual so just follow what is in your manual. it will not damage your auto parts that much but it will surely hurt your wallet because of bad mileage.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/10/11 6:24 a.m.

High octane. My GT6 calls for 100 in the manual.

With reg she was just plan mad. So its Sunoco 94 when I can or Shell 91.

I do have a digital ignition setup which I can dual load timing maps. So right now my timing is optimized for high oct, but if for some reason I had to use reg 87 I can flick a switch and retard the timing.

Gotta love that.

A.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/12/11 4:54 p.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: High octane. My GT6 calls for 100 in the manual.

Indeed it does - but they mean 100 RON, not the North American system which rates R+M/2.

You've been wasting your money all these years due to a misunderstanding of a British manual. There is about a 5 point difference - all your engine needs is 93 to run without ping. The GT6 has 9.25-9.5 compression and will normally run just fine on 91. My MGC, for example, runs well on 87 or 89 without ping at stock timing.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
6/15/11 3:40 p.m.

As others have said, it is not that big a deal unless you plan to put a lot of higher rpm miles on the car.

Although you can buy a lead additive substitute at most auto parts to help reduce any valve recession. It is what I do with my MGA.

willie
willie
6/15/11 5:25 p.m.

if you want,( go to wal-mart get a lead additive]........lead was used with all brit engines in the 50's......maybe it is the one elvis used......good luck james w shane

ronbros
ronbros Reader
6/15/11 9:03 p.m.

just run it , maybe in 5yrs you may do some valve seat work.

cant hurt much you will replace the valves and seats anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IAhOUxKyuwi0iHN0sexwkOwuWJPlFEQOHEi5NaK13yGXYB8YPbqkLz4gYdRZpjYL