Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
9/3/08 9:30 p.m.

My father-in-law has a 1972 MG Midget he's looking to sell. I've been trying to find out what it's worth, with no luck. I'm not sure where to look further, so I thought I'd give 'er a whirl here!

Basic info: 1972 round wheel arch Midget around 70-80,000 miles. Original 1275 rebuilt before storage. was almost finished rebuilding brake system when he fell & broke his hip. **Car was registered in Nevada for many years & is very solid.

Body is solid, has a couple shallow dents from storage mishaps...

Thanks!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/4/08 5:21 a.m.

Go to Ebay and use the search function, then click "completed auctions". Use only auctions where the car has actually sold. Watch those for a couple weeks and it should give you a decent idea.

Asking the value of a car on the internet when none of us can see it is pretty much like throwing darts in a darkroom.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
9/4/08 7:06 a.m.

I agree that it's really hard to give you a useful number without having more complete info and pictures for the car. I bought a reasonable one for restoration last year for $200. A friend of mine paid more than 10 times that for one that was not as good.

You might try ~Clicking Here~ to get some ideas of value on these cars.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
9/4/08 9:58 a.m.

Positives: 72 Midget no rust in MN Fresh engine

Negatives Not finished brakes imperfect body/paint Some rust?? Can't test drive

Address the negatives and the car should have some value $3-5000 but may not be more value than the repairs.

As is, it is an unfinsihed project for a home mechanic to bring back to life but don't expect much money. $500??

The one I knew was a similar solid driving 1275 Midget that was partly disassembled and slated for a full restoration. The owner sold it to an enthusiast for $200 and put the $10,000 restoration money into another fully restored sports car that he drives regularly. Cheers Ron

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
9/4/08 11:44 a.m.

Got to BritishCarForum and on to the Spridgets section. It gets a lot of traffic. Spridget owners are nuts about their cars. Ask Aeronca65t. I know he posts there a lot. Folks there could give you a good idea and you may find a buyer. They also have a classifieds section.

BTW where is the car located?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
9/4/08 3:51 p.m.

Classic magazine nice and thick this month and it says Midget project to be in next issue the Finish of the Project . Your father in laws stock might go up with that issue and fall / Xmas is a great time to sell a good car / project . Chex the floor boards .

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
9/5/08 4:45 p.m.

Thanks for all the great replies. I do appreciate it!

Given it's not running and it needs a couple panels worked & complete respray, carpet, top, as well as probably considerable mechanical work, maybe the $500-$1000 range is about right.

I should buy it from him!

MGAMGB, N.I.C.E. restoration on that '73! That is stunning!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tq3WnQVBfJNzJ1TZjzuXiCbGiZyywmBM6VwFMd23VvLBQWEC6ZUzB4v0B7tsCtsd