impster
impster Reader
6/11/09 5:28 a.m.

By summer's end, I will have completed construction of my dream garage and I'll be ready to purchase a 4 post lift. With so many brands and sizes out there, I wondered what advice or recommendations people on this forum might have to offer? Which brands are generally acknowledged to be better quality or have desirable features? Anything to look out for?

Thanks, Tony

Trevor
Trevor Dork
6/12/09 7:42 a.m.

I have this one: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-Park-8-Plus-p/tppro-park8.htm

and it serves my needs, but I've seen much better built lifts. However, those lifts were way more expensive and did not come in the dimensions I needed.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
6/13/09 9:56 p.m.

I don't have any advice about the lift but I sure would like to know more about your garage. Basic stuff like what size, how long did it take to build etc. Pics would be greatly appreciated!!

impster
impster Reader
6/15/09 6:29 p.m.

I would still like to hear from others about lifts, but in response to cyncrvt:

My garage is part of an entire house reconstruction. My advice to anyone who has ever considered building your own house by yourself - Don't!!!! You'll never forgive yourself and in all likelyhood, your significant other won't either! In any case, our ongoing project has been under way for 4 years now and I'm just now beginning framing on the majority of the structure. Plan to have everything enclosed by this winter.

The new garage will have two areas: one for everyday parking (24' wide X 26' deep), where nothing else will be stored. The hobby side will be seperated by a wall w/ two entry doors, will be 13' wide X 34' deep, and will have a 12' ceiling so as to fit a 4 post lift. With the lift and long length, I'll be able to squeeze in 3 cars, one being up in the air on the lift of course. Both areas will be kept warm with in floor radiant heat. The intent is to do dirty work in the hobby side, and clean work such as painting on the parking side. Accordingly, both sides will be well ventilated.

Work to this point has included the removal of about 150 cubic yards of ledge (bed rock) as we live on a hillside here in Maine. The foundation has been built of insulated concrete forms which go a long way in keeping things warm during our cold winters which is when I have most of my spare time to play with my toys.

Tony

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
6/16/09 7:52 a.m.

In reply to impster:

I've had a Bend Pak 9k lb lift for about 5 years. It's great! I've had zero problems with it. It's cheaper than some because it's wet painted instead of powder coated, a feature I preferred because paint is easier to repair. The quality is very good and I was really happy with the customer service I got from RB Wholesale.

http://www.rb-wholesale.com/

Whatever you do, make sure you buy a lift that is ALI and ANSI certified. Stay away from the imported lifts. American made lifts are much better and not that much more money.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
6/16/09 8:39 a.m.

Well... I don't have any experience with 4-post lifts, but when I was going through a "lift-debate" a couple of years ago, I ended up with a scissor lift for doing the service work I do. I don't have the ceiling height to get full use of a 2 or 4 post.

However, if I were builing a more dedicated "dirty" shop like yours, I would want a 2-post. Better for service and can work for storage in a pinch.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/18/09 12:03 p.m.

I don't have one, but I did all the research and then chickened out (waiting for my own big garage project to bite the bullet!). I wanted a Bend-Pak 4 post with caster kit. A friend has a Bend-Pak two post and he's been really happy with it, build quality is great and the price/value was pretty good. Of course, the size/options will totally depend on your needs and desires.

As mentioned, get something with a decent reputation...they're not much more money than the no-name imported stuff. That's not to say that all imported lifts are bad, or all no-name stuff is bad, but the combo is definitely a double whammy.

Bryce

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/19/09 8:51 a.m.

In looking at various lifts, I've also found the Greg Smith lifts to be well made, especially for the money.

Their web site also is a darn good research tool. It explains many things about the various lifts quite clearly and understandably.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
6/19/09 4:58 p.m.

Found a guy local taking out used walmart super stores 9000 lb lifts $1200 kash and karry citrus county florida

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
6/20/09 10:34 a.m.

Ditto on the ANSA & ALI approval. There are good Chinese lifts & junk' ALI cert will help you out there. Your concrete needs to be @ least 4" thick &3500psi tensile strength. Make sure your homeowners insurance covers you, you may need a rider. That being said Challenger makes a nice one, albeit not the cheapest out there. If you love your wife & have to go for the cheapest lift out there, make sure you upgrade ypur life insurance.

Trevor
Trevor Dork
6/21/09 8:52 a.m.

My lift DirectLift ProPark unit is ALI approved, and it is made in China.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YbXq6YsICmbt3K0Hxf7E1mTB0rLpmXZuKtAxptfHGiHdr7ur09yLoVR7MCJfLxxJ