Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/15/18 11:40 a.m.

All too often, motorsports involves a fixation on horsepower–who has the most, both on track and in the paddock. It becomes a bragging game, even at the vintage level.

What about style, though? That’s where Duke and Fay Waldrop’s race car and tow rig shine. Despite boasting about a hundred horsepower total, this Lynx B Formula Vee and Volkswagen Transporter …

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/18 1:39 p.m.

Fantastic history...  

And I just found a new desktop for my computer at work.  Thank you.

noddaz

dougie
dougie Reader
3/19/18 12:46 a.m.

Pacific Northwest racing icon Pete Lovely used a VW transport to get his F1 car to the track in the late 60"s-70's as well. 

XMark
XMark
4/1/20 1:14 p.m.

There was an attempt to do somehting similar in about the same time frame using the engine and parts from early 2-cycle SAABs.  My brother got a hold of one but never did anythiong with it.  The failed series may have been called Formula S.

John Hatfield
John Hatfield
4/1/20 5:15 p.m.

When we moved I got WAY behind on my reading material. As it happens, JUST LAST NIGHT I started reading the 2017 mag where this combo was mentioned in a editorial. But what I was envisioning was this couple that was at Amelia last year.....

(Sorry, one of my brothers stepped in front of me as I was taking the pic...lol)

John Hatfield
John Hatfield New Reader
4/1/20 5:17 p.m.

In reply to dougie :

I'd give my left nut for one of those single cabs today..... unfortunately thats about what it would cost....lol

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/2/20 3:45 p.m.

This is as close as I can get for MG. MGC tow car and MGA coupe vintage racer, 1980s at Portland.

shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
8/14/22 11:26 a.m.

I've also dreamt of a Vee on a Transporter but mine would have been a double cab...until I realized the bed would have been too short...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQ3v5kSi6gGOHsS5VW90hs1sxG9GPnwnrBGvRBlgK8QMLs1mzGV7OfcfexMCxWTC