maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
5/11/13 11:11 p.m.

I think I am becoming an Alfaholic. I have had my '83 spider, (nice weather daily driver) for a year now and either want to start modifying it slightly or sell it and get another Alfa. I Love Gulia. I love GTV's and stepnoses, and GTV6's and even ..gasp their ugly sister the Milano. I spend countless hours staying up and pouring over the internet for all of the information I can read. I read untill I am bleary eyed and wake up hung over. All I think about is when can I get my next fix of driving or information or what mods can I do. Maybe because I have spent my youth with Volvos, (122's, 140's 1800's)? Maybe because my alfa has been very reliable and, and sweet? ...Hi, my name is Chris and I am an Alfaholic.

patchelect
patchelect New Reader
5/13/13 7:54 a.m.

Hi Chris. Although I have lusted over Alfa's, my problem is Fiats. I started out in 1972 with a new 124 Spider that had me hooked for about 6 years. I sold it but wound up in a used 1974 X1/9 for a few years. A baby caused that to get sold but it was quickly replaced with a 1974 124TC, a four door sedan built on the Spider underpinnings and drivetrain. At the same time a brand new, left over, 1980 Brava (131) became the DD to carry the baby and his stuff. That hung around for several years, but the 124TC moved on in an attempt to make a quick buck. The Brava was sold and replaced with a brand X but another Z1/9 showed up at my doorstep in need of a home. My high hopes were to fix the missing reverse gear, but after a year or so of pushing it backwards I realized that the job was bigger than I was willing to commit to so I sold it.

Good luck to you with your addiction!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/13/13 8:10 a.m.

as a former member of the group, i understand your problem. you do know that alfa stands for always looking for another, right.

at my high point i had 4 alfas and 4 fiats....with x1/9s and 105 series gtvs my favorites. i still have 10 years of alfa owner magazines from the 80's and 90's that i can't open...still too much temptation.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/13/13 12:20 p.m.

If I won the lottery, a step nose and a Duetto would be in my garage.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/13/13 5:52 p.m.

If I won the lottery, I'd want a TZ1 and a new C4!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/13/13 8:06 p.m.

Hi everybody, my name is Steve and I am an Alfaholic.

GTV6 owner here

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/13 4:02 p.m.

My name is Bill, and I am an Alfaholic.

I've driven my GTV6 once, and am madly in love

AlfaKen
AlfaKen New Reader
5/14/13 4:53 p.m.

As you can tell from my name, I too have the disease too. I have the GTV variant. I bought my first GTV new in 69 and have had at least one ever since. Currently I vintage race a 74 and drive a 73 on the street.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/15/13 7:23 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: If I won the lottery, I'd want a TZ1

Well Duhhhh. I would have to win the big big lottery for that.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
5/15/13 10:54 a.m.

Can't say I've ever suffered from alfaholism but my buddy had a 1750 GTV with the twin webers. I must agree, that was a cool car.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/15/13 1:32 p.m.

Gentlemen - Not to detract from your confirmed affliction - but I would like to suggest that many of us suffer from variations of the same diesease...Mine is Datsun Z cars (and I do admit an envy of the GTV)...

May we all raise a glass of remedy together

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/15/13 2:14 p.m.

I too am an Alfaholic. My current is a 1966 Giulia GTC that I am restoring.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/20/13 9:16 a.m.

I think my Alfaholism is starting to wane... for most of the last decade, I've had 4, up to 5 very briefly.

But of the '59 Spider, '60 Sprint, and pair of GTVs, we plan on parting with the Sprint, and possibly one of the GTV's (since my racing bug seems to have passed).

I don't see us getting rid of the gold '73 any time soon, and maybe moving some things around will get me going on the restoration of the '59 Spider.

Alas, it's just Alfas for us- we considered a few cars, but one marque kept us a little less crazy.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/20/13 10:17 a.m.
ggarrard wrote: Gentlemen - Not to detract from your confirmed affliction - but I would like to suggest that many of us suffer from variations of the same diesease...Mine is Datsun Z cars (and I do admit an envy of the GTV)... May we all raise a glass of remedy together

Quite true. Only a lack of money and space prevents me from buying every rusty 1800ES that comes up for sale.

milanoverde
milanoverde New Reader
5/21/13 6:27 p.m.

As you can tell, a Milano Verde and also a 1750GTV. Anthony

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDgcuONmnal00CmHFNCgjfqRDCTjOC8zHgLNkOdaCYedEBfOdG7xwZiDFMmP9LFj