1 2 3 4 ... 7
759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/29/17 9:13 p.m.

Am I the only Michele Mouton Killer B Audi freak following this!?!?!?!!! We have here a group of inquisitive/enthused young folks seeking automotive enlightenment recreating a tour de force of an era that probably ended before a lot of them were born!!!! May all of you embrace this experience to its fullest, good luck and please be careful.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
5/30/17 7:00 a.m.

759NRNG wrote: Am I the only Michele Mouton Killer B Audi freak following this!?!?!?!!! We have here a group of inquisitive/enthused young folks seeking automotive enlightenment recreating a tour de force of an era that probably ended before a lot of them were born!!!! May all of you embrace this experience to its fullest, good luck and please be careful.

LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
6/9/17 10:14 a.m.

Awesome job!, been following along and looking forward to the finished product! Should you ever need the help of an enthusiastic volunteer let me know, I am just around the corner from you guys!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/9/17 11:26 a.m.

You should come hang out one Tuesday evening when the Quattro Squad meets.

LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
6/9/17 11:31 a.m.

In reply to teamilluminata:

I would love too, just let me know when and where!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/29/17 10:32 a.m.

We meet most Tuesday evenings in Pontiac to work on the car, though there's not much going on right now as the body is at the paint shop.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/29/17 10:35 a.m.

Rear diff is back together with new seals. Now we need to decide what color to paint it.

Amanda has started painting stripes on the model.

We borrowed an OE refinished rear caliper and decided this is the way to go with ours.

In anticipation of panels showing up Thompson Racing Fabrication took the car out of storage and delivered it to Cherry Classic Cars. We must admit it's nice to get re-acquainted.

Now we just need our wide body kit.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/14/17 10:04 a.m.

Great brushwork Amanda! As a possible alternative livery, my fave is the 200 Quattro that campaigned in IMSA for one season before being banished

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/16/17 7:57 a.m.

Panels did indeed show up from Europe from Cool Wheels in Latvia. Cherry Classic Cars wasted no time in offering them up to the body. As expected with composite reproduction panels it's going to take quite a bit if fettling to get a good fit.

They also set about fixing the rust on the shell and other minor repairs.

Before applying primer.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
7/17/17 1:38 p.m.

Was the car in too far gone condition to bring back as a street car? That's one of ~65 1985 UrQ's that was imported to the USA...

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
7/17/17 2:12 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: Panels did indeed show up from Europe from Cool Wheels in Latvia. Cherry Classic Cars wasted no time in offering them up to the body. As expected with composite reproduction panels it's going to take quite a bit of fettling to get a good fit.

Fettling? Been watching Bad Obsession too much? ;)

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/17/17 2:19 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Was the car in too far gone condition to bring back as a street car? That's one of ~65 1985 UrQ's that was imported to the USA...

it's an 83 so not quite as rare but regardless, this was the only way it was going to live on as a vehicle.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/17/17 2:21 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Panels did indeed show up from Europe from Cool Wheels in Latvia. Cherry Classic Cars wasted no time in offering them up to the body. As expected with composite reproduction panels it's going to take quite a bit of fettling to get a good fit.
Fettling? Been watching Bad Obsession too much? ;)

No, worse: English!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/18/17 9:43 a.m.

The shell is still at the body shop: Cherry Classic Cars in Michigan but we recently went to visit it and to make some decisions about how to put it together.

We also found a kevlar composite trunk lid in Canada

and received some vintage gauges and switches from another quattro aficionado.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
9/5/17 2:25 p.m.

More wide body progress on the rally build. Front and rear fenders are being wrestled into place by the guys at Cherry Classic Cars

Starting to look like a car again.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
9/16/17 12:19 p.m.

What a great build.  Thanks!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
10/6/17 12:10 p.m.

Quick photo update of progress on the wide body build by Cherry Classic Cars.

de80q
de80q Reader
10/6/17 9:26 p.m.

Nice to see this moving along!  It will be awesome when it's done!

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/17 1:08 p.m.

This build makes me so happy. Beautiful car. I have always had a soft spot for these and you build well prepared and detailed cars. I will be following each step of the way. Thank you for sharing. 

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
10/8/17 7:24 a.m.

Thanks for the encouragement^^^^^ Really appreciate it.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
1/7/18 1:14 p.m.

The rally Quattro is still up north at Cherry Classic Cars but it's coming along nicely. We might get it back as early as this month! Meanwhile here are some more updates.

A few weeks ago we were summoned up to CCC to help figure out how to deal with this poor bumper fitment issue:

Should the bumper go behind the quarter panel or should it butt up and why is the quarter panel so far out or the bumper so not wide enough? We feel we have a solution. More later.

While we were up there we discovered that our car has manual, wind up windows! These must have been changed by a previous owner as no Quattros had these from the factory. Gues we don't have to find a spot for the window switches now but, because of the cage, we may only be able to wind down the windows with the doors open!

While we away in the frozen north our fab guy got a little creative with our engine. As a result we now have the world's only five cyclinder, turbo charged shopping cart!

The catalyst for this creativity was the Quattro Squad separating the transmission and giving it a good clean in preparation for either a rebuild or, hopefully, just a reseal.

We also pulled the seats down from the parts shelf and cleaned them up in preparation for selling them. Not so much to generate funds but to create some space. They cleaned up very nicely and are in excellent shape. No tears at all; just a little wear on the driver's seat. I think they would restore quite well but we want to sell them as they are rather than cover things up. We think we could reasonably ask $1000 for them.

Subscribe for more updates soon and to see if the car makes it back here this month.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/10/18 9:11 a.m.

Looking good so far ...... I some see fiberglass work coming up ,bumper matching the quarters..my vote (wider is better) wink Is the hood 'period' correct for this.....just wonderin' ?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
1/10/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

hood is from a later car but we're keeping it as it's cool and all we got.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
2/11/18 9:04 a.m.

Well, the seats are sold. That has freed up some space on the parts shelf at least.

The shell is still up north at Cherry Classic Cars but we are expecting the call any day now. It's basically just waiting for the primer to dry then it will be ready to drag back down state and start bolting parts on. It was decided to do this in primer as there is probably quite a bit of cutting and grinding and welding to still be done as we basically do not know what we are doing. Once we have it essentially together we'll strip it down again for paint. It's going to look grand in the works shop regardless and will inspire us to refurbish all the dirty parts we have been ignoring. It may even get it's very own space for the build up. Here are some pictures as it sits now courtesy of Scott at Cherry Classic Cars.

Next time you see it it might be in a trailer.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/21/18 6:04 p.m.

"Should the bumper go behind the quarter panel or should it butt up and why is the quarter panel so far out or the bumper so not wide enough? We feel we have a solution. More later."

So.....what seems to be the consensus on this topic????? looking way good so far wink

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NvHUrJdmV1xMxsxcUIbjKe0keiYyvDZunY2o53NiXOV9kDVFl2AiHn5XSTfSIZH4