Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
11/24/08 8:20 a.m.

The story always goes like this: “All we did was pull it out of the barn, put in some fresh gas and a new battery, and it started on the second try!” Sometimes, the story is even true. But most of time there’s more to it. Pulling a car out of extended storage and safely putting it back on the …

Read the rest of the story

Mike T
Mike T New Reader
11/16/18 7:20 p.m.

Great article. I bought a 1973 Beetle project car in June of 2017. Reportedly it had slept in a garage for 25 years. In July of this year I took the maiden voyage in the newly refurbished bug. A great feeling. I had some minor success in the 1980's autocrossing a Bug. It felt great to be back behind the wheel.

Mike T

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/16/18 7:29 p.m.

Speaking of back from the dead,  zombie thread!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/16/18 7:53 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Whoa, from a ten year slumber.  If this thread were a car it'd be a "barn find"

eclecticalan
eclecticalan New Reader
3/13/19 10:12 a.m.

That's my car! I just drove it to work this morning. It's hard to believe that it was revived 18 years ago now (2001 I think was when most of the work here was done). 

bryangreene3
bryangreene3 New Reader
3/21/19 12:27 a.m.

In reply to eclecticalan :

The Beliver can belive it, no doubt. Everybody should read this.

Panamericano
Panamericano New Reader
9/6/21 4:36 p.m.

I did most of the suggestions on a BMW Isetta 600 and a 427-L89 Vette.  Rebuilt carbs, flushed tank, spun with mystery oil and no plugs, etc.  On the Vette, I also used hot water in the radiator for the first start up.  Both cars ended up running fine and had been sitting 12 - 5 years respectively.  Good advice.  Take your time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IphCfubuXLr4Qxm3Zvaxvi1xFA2WvpKwD56JqM8tectTnn9IILhcgF0jUWCNX7qv