SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/13/16 11:32 a.m.

So has anyone looked into this? This newer chrome painting process looks like it comes out pretty nice. I see people painting cars and other ramdom things, but I started thinking about things like trim and interior pieces that aren't normally touched or used on a constant basis (like door handles or window cranks).

Does anyone have a clue if Chrome painting is cheaper than chroming itself? I honestly don't know, but it sounds like it could start becoming a viable option.

pirate
pirate Reader
9/13/16 3:47 p.m.

I really don't know anything about it other then I seen it used on an episode of Counting Cars which I normally don't watch but was surfing through the channels and came upon it. They used it on an old Caddilac that would have cost thousands for re-plating. Supposed to look very much like real plated chrome. Can be clear coated in a tint if you are in to the black chrome thing. Would imagine it would have the same durability as any other clear coated paint system however have no direct knowledge.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
9/13/16 10:18 p.m.

It looks nothing like real chrome on large surfaces, IE don't go doing a bumper with it.

TR7
TR7 New Reader
9/13/16 10:40 p.m.

What about chrome wrap? I've seen people doing this online, but never in person.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/92123-Chrome-vinyl-wrap

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/16/16 6:33 a.m.

Ever see do it yourself powder coated chrome? It's not chrome but light years ahead of any rattle can job I've seen.

IIRC the Counting Cars' equipment wasn't cheap.

Dan

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/21/16 4:32 p.m.

I had the bolts for my CV-Pros powdercoated chrome, after twelve were found to have cracks I didn't want to take the time to do it again on the replacement bolts. I painted them chrome. You couldn't tell them apart then and they actually Look better now; 50,000 miles later, than the powdercoated ones.

photo 1434672312_zpsd621a1bc.jpg

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/15/20 1:57 p.m.

Bump.  

Any experience with chrome wrap as a stand-in for chrome plating?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/15/20 3:02 p.m.

It's difficult to wrap around corners since it's a much thicker product, if you stretch it to much it also discolors. If it's on flat surfaces it's pretty awesome 

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/16/20 7:28 a.m.

Local wrap shop says they will do it for me if I prep the metal, so I'll have feedback in the next week or so on how it went....

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/16/20 8:55 a.m.

For small stuff like an emblem, the chrome pens work really well. We have a video on the subject on the site, under videos.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/27/20 5:57 p.m.

Following up on my question with an answer for the masses - It worked GREAT for my purposes.

Just picked up a 1972 Corvette for my wife.  Most of it was pretty decent, but the front grilles / bumperettes were rough.  Before - 

Once the wrap shop confirmed they were pretty confident with the project, I had them bead blasted, and then followed that up with some file work to smooth out some remaining nastiness - 

I followed that up with a rattle-can resto of satin black in the egg crates, the chrome pen listed above for the tops of the grille, and then the wrap shop handling the bumperettes.  Also cleaned up the lenses and hardware - 

Finished product installed back on the car - 

All in, I'm into these for less than $150.  Sending them out to be restored "properly" would have been 10X that.  Given that delta, I'm SUPER pleased with the results.  

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/30/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave :

That looks fantastic

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/2/20 9:03 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to DILYSI Dave :

That looks fantastic

Thanks!