dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/18 12:16 p.m.

I have been working on cars since before I can remember.  My earliest memories are being with dad out in the driveway working on his early 60s Comet. It seemed there was always something that needed tinkering with. Be it the points or the carb. As time went on dad started getting me “my” tools. Little did I know that this was the start of my life long passion of having a good tool collection. 

Now I am in my mid 50s and my tool collection has grown to include some specilized stuff (having Porsche’s in your driveway will do that). But this is not about those tools. 

This is about the simple tools I have had for years.  These tools hold my wrenching memory’s. I remember all the cars I have used them on. The combination wrench set I got with a gift card from my brother some 25 years ago. The sockets that were my dads that have his initials engraved in them. The Phllips screwdriver that was part of a set I got on my 10th birthday from a friend that moved away a year later. They have been with me through successfully builds and epic saves as well as some spectacular failures. They have been the keys to my automotive journey that is now more than 40 years old. 

Your tools are like that set of jeans that fit perfectly. They sit in your hand just right. They have that light coating of oil that is a mixture from all the projects in the past.  The nicks and dings that are the result of every tool being a hammer at least once in its life. 

Tools are like old friends. Always glad to see you and there to help. I have had more cars pass through my life than I can remember but my tools are a constant that have been with me on my automotive journey from the start. A persons tools are personal to you. My wrenches mean nothing to you if you were to use them but to me they mean the world. I know them. They are an extension of me that together we have created some of my most  precious memories. 

So this holiday season I have continued the tradition of giving simple quality hand tools to my kids with a simple note that says I am helping you to build memories. At first they did not get it but over time they each have come to me as they each “get” what there old man is actually giving them. You can give them the tools. They get to build there own memories. Something that was given to me by my dad and something I am proudly trying to pass on to my kids. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/18 9:53 a.m.

Very well expressed. While "lasts a lifetime" is a common claim regarding well-built items, good hand tools can last for generations and still be as "good as new".  I can thank my Dad not only for some great tools, but also for giving me opportunities to learn how to use them.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 7:23 p.m.

My father and grandfather were both big do it yourselfers with large tool collections. My parents started getting me Craftsman tools and toolbox when I was in about 6th grade.  For graduation I got my tool chest.  When my grandfather passed away I inherited most of his tools as no one else has any interest in them. I carry a small tape measure of his in my briefcase for work. He got it from an equipment dealer long ago enough that their phone number starts with letters.  For tune ups I break out his kit of tools in this nifty metal first aid box that is probably older than I am.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 8:54 p.m.

I have my dads tuneup kit as well. Everything you need to adjust and clean points and clean and gap plugs. All in a small coffee can. I also have an old dwell meter that goes with it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PN9AIAsdRRtjgUChp4UTszCqFHnsPzCLIZ8TWI2ChX9JVl0M559vKIxs1CNPH0g7