Paid article presented by CocoMats.

What helped define a sports car back in the day? A snarling exhaust, just the right amount of chrome, and a set of cocomats. 

You could have ordered a set of these iconic mats as a factory accessory item from your Porsche, Mercedes Benz or BMW dealer or right out of the Vilém …

Read the rest of the story

Loved the Cocomats in my Mercedes. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/8/20 6:44 p.m.

I have them in many of my old cars and love them. Nice to finally learn the whole story.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/8/20 10:20 p.m.

I worked for a cocomat dealer after graduating from school. Here's our catalog. I had sisal mats in my Sentra SE-R but it was new and sporty. Today I have cocomats from Cocomat.com in the 911. The checker ones would look good in the M3.

RWP
RWP New Reader
4/9/20 10:52 a.m.

Two comments:

1)  Coco mats are the best...sets in my Z3, E39 BMW 530, and Porsche Cayman.  

2) When I got out of army and back to school and work in Atlanta in '72, Automod was our local go-to store for all things sports car.  As I recall, owner was Brian......., nice guy.  

architect7779
architect7779 New Reader
4/9/20 11:02 a.m.

I have a set in my Evora - fantastic service & quality!

pdq356
pdq356 New Reader
4/9/20 12:54 p.m.

Some years ago I finished a 356 Carrera 2 in Oslo Blue with tan and registered it for the Cars in The Park Show on Memorial Day weekend at Lime Rock. It had taken 4 years to finish but looked great although some what plain with the black rubber mat in front. At the last minute I ordered a set of the multi-brown mats from Jim that showed up the day before the show. The woman who was judging the '60's sportscars opened the drivers door, looked inside, saw the cocoa mats and said "I love those mats, I had a set in my MG years ago". I don't think she even looked at the engine or in the trunk. I won First place and got a trophy big enough for a bowling league award.  Now I put them in every Tub that rolls through my garage. They really make the car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/20 1:40 p.m.

In reply to RWP :

Yep, Brian and Linda founded Automod. I can't remember where it was originally located, but when I worked for them, the company was based on Osborne Road in Brookhaven--just a few feet off PIB. Automod served as my grad school. In addition to cocomats, I learned all about Weber, Momo, Nardi, Zender, Kamei, Amco, Hella, Cibie, Koni and lots more. 

mikewilensky
mikewilensky New Reader
4/9/20 1:45 p.m.

Back in the late 1970's, I used to buy cocoa mats at Grand Auto for around $30.00 a pair. They were of pretty good quality. Today, I see them for sale online for well over $100.00 a pair! Goodness, at that price, are they worth it?

spider94r
spider94r New Reader
4/9/20 4:38 p.m.

Coincidentally, just this week I ordered a set for my Miata, and plan to get a pair for my Cayman, too. They are classic.

mrichlen
mrichlen New Reader
4/9/20 9:42 p.m.

Does anybody remember MG Mitten?  IIRC they sold cocomats. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/10/20 9:56 a.m.

In reply to pdq356 :

Wow, what a testimonial. Put these mats in your car and you will win the show. LOL

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/10/20 9:57 a.m.

I have mats coming for both my Boxster (the newer style explained in the story) and my GTI (the classics).

mbrouill
mbrouill New Reader
4/10/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to mikewilensky :

$100?  I wish.  They start at $179.95 now adays

oelboxer
oelboxer
11/30/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens : I worked for Automod in 1989-90 as the shipping / receiving guy. What a fun job for a kid. I worked with Earl, and of course Brian. The month before the Mitty was always exciting. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d0ITDHr8JnKlulTxspmCKlECmxQ1BP8kRFxEJ6UaX9TILhwhFzlRAs9lGhUfvYZ1